| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recent College Graduation Moving to NYC...Help Please.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hello PPKers,

I recently graduated from college and I will be moving to NYC hopefully at the end of August. I will (most likely!) be doing a publishing internship and would really like to eventually get a job as a publicity/marketing assistant in publishing.

I really need some help with housing/budgeting. I am really really frugal so I think I will be okay. At my hopeful internship, I will be making $8 an hour (womp womp) but will get another job. Any helpful info on getting a part time job in NYC? I'd be really interested in nannying, but don't know how many hours my internship will be yet.

When I leave, I will have about $5,600 saved up. I know New York City is extremely expensive so I am hoping this will be okay for a few months while also working (albeit for very little). On a tight budget where would you recommend looking?

My boyfriend is moving to NYC as well, but has already signed a lease (he is a grad student living in grad student housing). I would love to live him with him, but I do not want to sign a lease because I'm worried that I won't find a job soon after my internship ends and don't want to scream him over for rent.

Any advice on moving there in my situation would be MOST APPRECIATED!

Post subject: Re: Recent College Graduation Moving to NYC...Help Please.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:48 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

What part of town is your internship in? It sounds like your best bet is going to be living in Brooklyn or Queens, rather than Manhattan, but try to find somewhere where it's not too hard to get to your job. You could check your boyfriend's school's website and see if people need roommates. Since the school year pretty much just ended there are tons of people moving around and looking for roommates, so college websites/message boards might be a good options. At $8 an hour, I think you're definitely going to need a roommate.

How long is your internship? You could also check around for sublets, that way you wouldn't be committing to anything. That might be the best way to go. No idea about part time jobs, but you could try temp agencies, maybe?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:50 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks for the help! My internship is in midtown. I definitely would prefer to sublet. I have distant family in Greenwich so if I go through my savings I could stay there for a little while (though I REALLY would prefer not to).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Also I meant Recent college "GRAD" oy vey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:02 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Hi,
I got an awesome nannying job in manhattan two years ago by making a profile on sittercity.com. I didn't do the background check through their site so the profile was free. I had a job within two weeks after sending out messages to families everyday.

Good luck!