| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Where do you grocery shop?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:16 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I love the fairway on the uws. It's one stop shopping for me. But the subway is right there, two blocks at the most. Also, don't forget buses. Sometimes the bus is right there and a subway to bus transfer is free.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:57 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

acr wrote:
i rock the three-bag system for trips to the coop. probably half the people i know from the coop recognize my giant green backpack first and me second. i think the carts are a pain both on the subway and once i get home, where i have to shoulder all my bags in order to get them, me, and the cart up the stairs anyway. like limone, i now have superstrength, and i'm so good at estimating the weight of a cart of groceries that i could probably make a killing as a carny. keepin' that dream alive in my back pocket.

my grocery bags are buried in a box somewhere that i haven't unpacked and carts look to be no better than carrying bags so it's been plastic. the downside is that i now have a growing ball of plastic in my apt.

i have yet to be asked 'paper or plastic' so does one need to show some leg in order to get paper?
i kid..sort of

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:44 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Anybody know anywhere good around Columbia?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:56 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

SweetT wrote:
acr wrote:
i rock the three-bag system for trips to the coop. probably half the people i know from the coop recognize my giant green backpack first and me second. i think the carts are a pain both on the subway and once i get home, where i have to shoulder all my bags in order to get them, me, and the cart up the stairs anyway. like limone, i now have superstrength, and i'm so good at estimating the weight of a cart of groceries that i could probably make a killing as a carny. keepin' that dream alive in my back pocket.

my grocery bags are buried in a box somewhere that i haven't unpacked and carts look to be no better than carrying bags so it's been plastic. the downside is that i now have a growing ball of plastic in my apt.

i have yet to be asked 'paper or plastic' so does one need to show some leg in order to get paper?
i kid..sort of

Whole Foods does paper by default (I honestly don't even know if they offer plastic), and I think TJ's does paper, too. Honestly though I've just gotten used to carrying foldable cloth bags in my gigantic purse at all times. Flip and Tumble makes sturdy ones that hold up to 35 pounds and they live up to their claim. I've had mine for over a year now and have filled it to the brim without any issue.

I don't even do a backpack - I just ruin my back by carrying shoulder bags over both shoulders. But if you want to go the backpack route, you could always get a Chrome messenger bag or backpack. They're sturdy as all hell and hold a lot of stuff.

IN MY DAY I CARRIED 40 POUNDS OF GROCERIES HOME A MILE AWAY FROM TRADER JOES. (I'm not even kidding.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:11 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

WF went plastic-free about 5 years ago. I have several reusable bags from them, but those Flip and Tumble ones look waaaaay better. The strap looks much sturdier, like it won't be as inclined to dig into my neck/shoulders.

Here in Chicago, I often have to walk several blocks to the bus or train, and depending on what store I go to, it can be over half a mile. Three blocks seems pretty doable. We usually do all our grocery shopping by bike, buying only what we need for a couple of days/meals, but lately I've been taking the train to school. Once a month or so we rent an I-Go car to do a big run for staples and heavy things. We'll have to come up with a new system once we move to New York.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake