| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NY Transit
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:52 am 
Inflexitarian

learning which trains to take and which stations to avoid is more challenging than i thought.

i waited 30 mins for the g before bailing

i let two 4 trains pass before realizing that the 4 is always packed

in atlantic terminal, how is that no one knows (or want to share) how to exit into the mall? every single time i end up outside.

is it possible to travel from queens to bk in less than hour on the weekend?

should i try riding the bus instead of relying on the subway?

Post subject: Re: NY Transit
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:05 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

The G from queens to brooklyn CAN be really great because it's the fastest way to get to certain parts of brooklyn from queens, but yeah I've definitely had to take a cab home after waiting forever late at night. ugh.

i usually give myself over an hour to get to brooklyn on any given day, but it really depends on the part of brooklyn. If the trains all come right away, I can get to Williamsburg from Astoria in 45 minutes, but that's only on a really good day. If I'm trying to get to the park slope area, i always give myself an hour and a half. As a general rule, I give myself an hour to get anywhere, especially when I'm going to an area I'm not super familiar with because you might get off the train in half an hour, but then it could take another 15-20 minutes to walk to where you're going. I always tack on an extra 15 minutes to the time google maps tells me.

It took me a while to figure out the buses, but now I use a combo of the bus and subway a lot and it makes things a lot easier. I really like google maps directions. you can get options for taking the bus and/or subway. hopstop.com is good, too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:13 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Ugh, Atlantic Terminal. Let me see if I can remember clearly on how to escape from that station. It depends which train you're coming off of, but in most cases you want to go upstairs towards where the platform for where the 2/3 and LIRR ticketing area are. If you're coming off the N/R/D I *think* you have to go down a set of stairs, then up another set, just to confuse things. It's a pain in the asparagus to get through that station, in case you haven't noticed. Once you're up, you exit through the turnstiles there and you'll see these two awkwardly narrow curved staircases. Walk up one of those, and rather than continue towards to doors to the outside, walk the other way (past the Starbucks and Citibank) and then there are glass doors to enter the mall. Then, WELCOME TO HELL. Seriously, I know that the prospect of shopping at a Target sounds appealing, but unless you go very early in the day it is not a pleasant place.

From Queens to Brooklyn in less than hour on the weekend: Depends on where you're starting and ending I guess, but generally speaking an hour doesn't sound that unusual to me.

Riding the bus: Depends on where you're going? I wouldn't avoid the bus, because it's fine and can be quite convenient intra-neighborhood, but if you're going a long distance it's not necessarily going to save you any time.

Also, I feel your pain on the G train... it's notoriously unreliable. And traveling on the weekend can be a pain in general depending on where there are service changes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:22 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

There is also a large shopping center in Queens, on Queens Blvd. You could take the 7 to Roosevelt Ave./Jackson Heights and change to the M or the R to Woodhaven Blvd. and you will find lots of different stores. Going there this Saturday, actually...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:55 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Angelina wrote:
There is also a large shopping center in Queens, on Queens Blvd. You could take the 7 to Roosevelt Ave./Jackson Heights and change to the M or the R to Woodhaven Blvd. and you will find lots of different stores. Going there this Saturday, actually...

yeah, this is the target I go to. It doesn't get all that super crazy even on the weekends. plus, target usually has gardein for super cheap, so i always stock up on fake meat when i'm there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:40 am 
Inflexitarian

when you guys tuned me in on the target in queens, that's now my go to spot. i can shop without the urge to run for the nearest exit. butsometimes i'm in bk for work and it makes sense to endure the crowd instead of going to the queens location.

limone, i'm usually on the n/r when passing through atlantic so i'll use your directions next time.

the g has so much potential but it feels like a mta afterthought. i was in park slope and at the mercy of the f & g. twice the f wasn't running so i took a cab home because the g was nowhere to be found.

ijdi, you're right. i've been tracking how long it takes me to travel to certain areas and 1hr to 1.5hrs is roughly how long it takes.
looking at a map, sunnyside is not far from brooklyn so i was under the impression i was missing out on a faster route.

angelina, i need to go shopping too! meetup?

borough hall or is it called court st. station????
i can laugh about it now but i was on the 4 and it took me FOR-EVER (exaggeration not included) to get out of that station. i made the mistake of trying to exit out at a certain intersection so that i could follow directions i wrote down.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:25 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

SweetT wrote:
angelina, i need to go shopping too! meetup?

Sounds good! I will be there at 1pm, in Macy's to get my eyebrows plucked and tweezed. Want to meet at 1:30pm? I would not suppose you would want to watch me. I can show you around and we can go the other way from Target...lots more stores hiding a couple of blocks from there. I wish the Hong Kong supermarket was closer...gotta check the map.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:35 am 
rowdily playing checkers

Hey, that's my neighborhood.

Atlantic Terminal is kind of a maze, although it's a little better since they remodeled it.

The easiest way is to follow the signs for the LIRR. The LIRR platform abuts the mall.

Man, I'm great at directions. You're welcome.