| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maimonide of Brooklyn
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:59 am 
Saggy Butt

Has anyone been to this place? http://www.mob-usa.com/ I just read about it and I'm curious.

The menu isn't gigantic, but it's all vegan and they have a cashew-based mac and cheese and some fancy-looking appetizers.

Post subject: Re: Maimonide of Brooklyn
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:02 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I know that Isa loves it! I've only had brunch there and the portions were laughably small, which was a big turn off for me for brunch food. It was tasty, but just super over priced for brunch. My husband got that stack of pancakes pictured on their website and the pancakes were were about 1.5 inches in diameter. It was kind of funny. But tasty! so just know what to expect when you go.
ETA:: I had no idea what kind of place it was when I went there. I was not in the mood at all for fancy small portions. I was starving and just wanted to cram some food in my face, so I probably didn't go under the best circumstances.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:26 am 
Saggy Butt

Ah, thanks for the tip IDJI. I'll probably check it out the next time I'm feeling fancy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:55 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I haven't been there. I want to go, but I don't want to deal with Atlantic Avenue, so I haven't. I am soo lazy!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:59 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I used to work near there and somehow never went. Tell us how it is if you go!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:57 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I was reminded of this place from the Hipster Restaurant thread. I haven't been in about half a year, but hopefully my memory will do justice.

I've been 2 or 3 times now and really enjoy it. I haven't been for brunch, only dinner, but I'l reiterate IJustDiedInside: The portions seemed small. The prices weren't bad though, and I had no problem ordering multiple dishes. For dinner their main thing is called a MOB which is basically a flat bread cut in two. It's very convenient for ordering a couple and sharing with someone. Absolutely delicious, I've had 3 or 4 different varieties. I'd highly recommend the Iron Man, I get it every time. I've also had the burger which was delicious, though unfortunately I can't remember the specifics of why. I distinctly remember enjoying it better than the MOBs taste wise, but I loved the presentation of the MOBs and again, being able to share them so conveniently. The Mac and Cheese was pretty good. The accompanying mushrooms were great and the smoked pecans were amazing. The whole dish was wonderfully put together but frankly I'm not a fan of mac and cheese in general so it was everything other than the mac and cheese in the dish I really liked. Their cheesecake was pretty good, though if I remember right it was one of those vegan foods I like to describe as tasty on its own but not what I've expect from the name, cheesecake.

The restaurant itself has a fun vibe. The inside walls have eulogies for all the delicious vegetables. The tables are long beer hall style so other people will probably be not too far away. The tables themselves have drawers which keep your silverware and napkins. Everyone gets a free comic which explains the origin of the restaurant I think (I only skimmed it =/). They have an outdoor section as well though I haven't eaten there yet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:23 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yeah! I had the popcorn soup and MOB burger. Both were amazing. The burger was tiny but very flavorful and surprisingly filling. This place is not cheap, but nice for an *experience.* I really want to try the mac 'n' cheese.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:07 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Ate at MOB this weekend. My wife and I shared the cauliflower appetizer which was awesome and then we each had a MOB burger which came with fries. Also amazing. Then we shared a piece of the chocolate hazelnut cake which again.... amazing. No beverages, just water and the bill was $62 before tip which seems somewhat reasonable... except for the fact that the portions were so tiny. iI the portions were a little bigger (like somewhat normal sized) I think the prices would be more than fair for the quality you get.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I had the Iron Man MOB yesterday and found it very dull indeed - what a disappointment. The space is lovely but I wouldn't order an MOB if I ever go again. I was surprised there were only two MOB flavours available too.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:41 pm 
Inflexitarian

Went over the weekend. Hits were the cauliflower and veggie burger. I had the Mac and cashew cheese and apparently it's different now. Has artichokes and isn't smokey. Could have been a little more flavorful to me (and bigger of course).

Split the chocolate torte which was also great. 2 people with a beer each came to $75, but I'll admit I was still a little hungry even after 3 courses. Love the vibe though, hope they make it!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I was told they have recently changed the MOB bread too but as it was my first visit I can't compare.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:37 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

i checked it out today and it was good. i had the side salad and side fries. the salad was itty bitty even for a side dish but it was tasty. i really liked the community dining tables, patio and overall vibe of the place.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:28 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

We went here before seeing Erykah Badu last Sunday, and I left slightly underwhelmed. I don't have very high expectations, and I wished my gf pizza crust was less like a biscuit than it was. The tangy yogurt sauce on a pizza threw me, though when I took some of the artichokes from my bf's mac, the yogurt sauce got magically cheesy. His mac was bangin' though, and the vibe was cool.

not to take into account, really, but weirdly enough I walked in and a whole table's end full of girls just stared. that was really weird.