| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weekend visit with a car
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:28 am 
ugh

My husband and I are coming to NYC in August to see Hedwig - yay!! We've decided to drive since it's the least expensive travel option we have. Any suggestions on where we could stay that we'd be able to park the car in a garage? Nearer to the theater (Belasco) the better - it's only my second visit to NYC and I want to keep things as walkable and simple as possible.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

Post subject: Re: Weekend visit with a car
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:31 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I hear you on the wanting to keep it walkable thing, but my recommendation would be to stay away from actually staying in the theater district, especially with a car - for both your sanity and your pocket. Maybe try looking on air b&b for a place that has availability in long island city (queens), or for even easier street parking in greenpoint (brooklyn). You can take the 7 train from the vernon-jackson stop in LIC (the first stop in queens from manhattan) and it will get you to the times square/theater area faster than you can believe. If you stay in greenpoint the 7 is a very fast (and view-filled) walk over the pulaski bridge. I used to like in northern greenpoint (my street's end butted right to the side of the pulaski) and when my mom visits we always go see a show of some kind. We could get from my door to the theater within maybe 30 minutes. And then you can drive your car around brooklyn before you leave to eat at some delicious places that may be too much of a hassle to get to otherwise (if your stay is short and you don't want to schlep on the subway)- like dinner or brunch at champs in williamsburg and getting doughnuts at dun-well in bushwick!

ps - my husband and I have tickets to see hedwig at the end of july! we're excited

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:33 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Almost all hotels in NYC will valet your car for you, the catch is that it's expensive. You should just call a few hotels in locations you think would be convenient and ask them if they'll park your car and how much it will cost. If the pricing is prohibitive for you, then just do a quick search for garages in the neighborhood and see how much they charge (there are garages in pretty much every neighborhood). The further east or west from the center of Manhattan you go, the cheaper parking's going to get. You could also park and ride from somewhere like Hoboken or Jersey City (assuming that exists there, I haven't checked) - it would add time and hassle but would probably save you something like $75 over the weekend. Then you could stay in any hotel you like without worrying about parking the car.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:03 am 
ugh

Thanks for the recommendations! In the end, we got lucky - my husband's cousin has an apartment in Brooklyn that she uses for work only, so we get to stay there instead of a hotel. I'm sure we can find a parking garage nearby.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman