| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NYC: Fave budget eats? [Summer 2014]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm down for splurging once or twice, but what I really dig are casual, interesting, budget-embracing eats for $7-10 or less. Where's your go-to vegan slice? falafel? dosa? cupcake? I want to eat it.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: NYC: Fave budget eats? [Summer 2014]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:55 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

This place in Williamsburg (i guess? i'm bad with brooklyn neighborhoods) http://waffleandwolf.com/menu/

they were running an anniversary special where all their waffle sandwiches were $6.99. Their regular prices are overpriced, imo, but at $7, it was a good deal! the buckwheat waffles are vegan (it says so on their print menu) and you can get things added into the waffles. i got the #18 with avocado added.

::edited::

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:18 am 
FAYGO

I don't have a go-to single thing, but Smorgasburg usually has several vegan vendors and they all have something under $10. Chickpea & Olive and Monks Meats are my favorites, but The Regal Vegan, Alchemy Creamery and some others are usually there too. And regular vendors often have vegan options. If you go, I suggest taking your food out of the actual Smorgasburg area and eating somewhere less crowded by the water.

ETA: I think my favorite pizza is from Pizza Plus in Park Slope: http://www.pizzaplusmenu.com/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

i had the best cupcake from the cupcake atm (close to lex & 59th). there's only one vegan option (red velvet) but it was delicious. http://www.sprinkles.com/locations/new- ... upcake-atm

peacefood cafe
taim - they have the best falafel.hands down.
paulie gee has the best pizza but two boots has options

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:16 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

there is a chain of Maoz falafel joints, especially downtown. They have great add-your-own toppings and the falafel is damn yummy and just about $6. Also in Union Sq is a hole-in-the-wall joint, Rainbow Falafel, that has cheap platters that could probably be 2 meals.
+1 on Peacefood for a sweet treat, it's a full restaurant but you can just go in and buy from the bakery case too.
and you gotta try Cinnamon Snail ASAP. I'm more into their bombass sandwiches than the sweets though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:42 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

SeitanSaidDance wrote:
I don't have a go-to single thing, but Smorgasburg usually has several vegan vendors and they all have something under $10. Chickpea & Olive and Monks Meats are my favorites, but The Regal Vegan, Alchemy Creamery and some others are usually there too. And regular vendors often have vegan options. If you go, I suggest taking your food out of the actual Smorgasburg area and eating somewhere less crowded by the water.

Oh my god the Smorgasburg is soooo good. I've only been to the one by Brooklyn Bridge but I have always found such amazing things to eat. Nothing is super expensive, but I tend to get several different things and ice cream so I end up spending $15-20 dollars, but you don't HAVE to.

I agree the Maoz chain is good for an easy falafel experience. There is also the vegan Dosa guy in Washington Square park. It's a little food cart.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:06 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks, everyone!
I stopped by the Cinnamon Snail for my first lunch last week at the MooShoes pop up and had the Seitan al Pastor. The seitan was a tad rubbery, but everything else about it was quite tasty. I super duper want to try Paulie Gee's (I tried to go last year, but didn't check to see when they were open for lunch, which they weren't...) and Chickpea + Olive soon! I probably have room for 1-2 more falafel stops, too. Hit Mamoun's a couple of days ago for old time's sake.

(Sadly, I can't do treenuts, so I'm missing out on a great deal of the vegan ice cream takeover)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:07 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh, also, I tried a local hot sauce at Smorgasborg Brooklyn last winter, and I've been kicking myself ever since for not buying a bottle. Must remedy!!