| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unique New York Unique
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

What vegan cuisines can you get in New York that you really can't get anywhere else?

Post subject: Re: Unique New York Unique
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:21 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

That's tough! You can get pretty much any cuisine here, but I don't think there's anything that you can't get somewhere else in the country. Is there a specific type of food you're looking for? The most unique food I've had here recently is Himalayan cuisine in Jackson Heights (Queens). But then, maybe there is some super special stuff like Jamaican patties in Brooklyn?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, I was thinking about those Jamaican patties! I guess I'm just interested in restaurants beyond the usual Thai, Vietnamese, Mexican, Indian, etc. But then, if any of those were really exciting that would be fine too. I'm only going to be in NYC for a minute, but I'm generally curious from reading Vegan Eats World.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:40 pm 

Hmm... if you're only here for a minute...where are you going to be? maybe we can find something really awesome that you won't have to trek a million miles for.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:43 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

From Newark I'm driving up to Hudson and then I'm going to be there for the weekend and then Sunday night in Brooklyn, and then back to Newark Monday afternoon.

But I'm also just curious in general!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:52 pm 

The Himalayan place that I've been going to a lot lately is called (apologies for the super non vegan name) Himalayan Yak Restaurant. The wait staff know what's vegan, even though it's not labeled as such.
http://www.himalayanyak.com/?page_id=30

The vegetarian Tibetan dishes are vegan and you get this really good steamed bun called Tingmo with your food instead of rice.

One of my all time favorite places is Dosa Delight: http://www.yelp.com/biz/dosa-delight-jackson-heights
It's so so good.

I'm going to look through Vegan Eats World and see if I can identify some spots that Terry talks about!

ETA: I know she mentions Dojo in the book. You can get a good (if greasy) cheap meal there. The cold sesame noodles are super delish in addition to the tofu hijiki burger.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:44 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

She should have named names!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:52 pm 

she should write a blog post about a vegan eats world tour of NYC or just Queens or whatever.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:37 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I would say a place like Pure Food--yes you can get similar in California but maybe not so much on the East Coast? Expensive though.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:45 pm 
Nailed to the V

This is not a cuisine. Go to Slice. It was my favorite. (Daiya though, if you care?)
ETA: http://eatdrinkwild.com I will also say that I know a certain someone who hates it.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:50 pm 
Semen Strong

LazySmurf wrote:
From Newark I'm driving up to Hudson and then I'm going to be there for the weekend and then Sunday night in Brooklyn, and then back to Newark Monday afternoon.

But I'm also just curious in general!

We have great Ethiopian at Lalibela in South Orange right by Newark. The owner is vegan and they have great vegan cake from Killer Vegan. Not that you cannot get it elsewhere but maybe a good option for convenience?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:18 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks Tofulish! I was kind of wondering if there would be anything by Newark. My plan was mostly just to eat a lot of bagels cause we can't get good ones here.

I have been interested in Pure Food, even my Dad likes it and I have the cookbook but it looks like I'd have to spend a zillion dollars.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:17 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I was thinking Ethiopian too. I've been to a handful around NJ and NY but don't really see it much elsewhere around the country (except DC). Personally, I don't like the places in NY nearly as much as Jersey. I wasn't going to mention it because they aren't exactly where you're going, but Newark is close enough if you have a car. I liked the two in South Orange. I preferred Harrar's food to Lalibela slightly, but greatly preferred the owner of Lalibela to the people I've talked with at Harrar. The owner at Lalibela is such a nice, welcoming, helpful person. All that said, if you have a car and don't mind driving another 5-10 minutes my favorite Ethiopian restaurant ever is in Montclair, Mesob. I couldn't even tell you what exactly it is, but every time I go back to Jersey and have the option I go there. All my memories of all three places distinctly put Mesob at the top.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

DFresh wrote:
I was thinking Ethiopian too. I've been to a handful around NJ and NY but don't really see it much elsewhere around the country

They definitely have it in other places too, in Austin I think we have four or five! But I love Ethiopian and if it's close to the airport it makes sense!!! I don't think I've ever even flown into Newark before.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

What about places around the Bay Ridge?