| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Park Slope Vegan Friendly
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:36 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I recently relocated to Park Slope and am finding a lack of vegan options at nonvegan restaurants. What's the deal!? I'm lucky since I live pretty much right next to Snice, but a friend is coming for brunch and am having a hard time finding a beautiful place with veg options.

Post subject: Re: Park Slope Vegan Friendly
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:40 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Have you checked out Supervegan.com? You can search for non vegan restaurants with vegan options in Brooklyn. I'm sure you'll find some options there.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:40 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i have a hard time with this when my parents visit, too. for the most part there are vegan restaurants and non-vegan restaurants, and almost no compromising. brunch is especially difficult; i've been trying to find a good brunch spot for two years. i think last time i just took them to rose water and got a salad.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:31 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I've been in park slope for a couple years now. The only brunch place I ever found was V-Spot ( and they got rid of unlimited drinks ~ a year ago =( ). If you're willing to walk to South Slope, around 22nd and 5th there's Luna Burrito which has a lot of both vegan and non vegan menu items. It's a pretty good place to bring people who insist on non-vegan options. If you do go, FYI, the chips and salsa they start you with are not vegan. The chips contain dairy. I've really enjoyed the burritos I've gotten there, haven't tried anything else yet.

In PSlope proper there's Szechuan Delight. They have a separate vegan page in their menu. Otherwise I've found it pretty much like ACR said, most places are either vegan or non-vegan, no compromising.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:15 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Niadre's on 7th Ave and 12th Street, is a nice little cafe and they have vegan options, and vegan chocolate chip cookies. The seitan scramble is yummy!

Bogota: Colombian restaurant with lots of vegan and veggie options, just double check on the veganess cause the menu has type-o's, but all the wait staff seems to know all about the type-o's so asking is easy. And a lot of vegetarian stuff you can ask for sans cheese.

I walk into random non-vegan places in park slope and find vegan stuff all the time, except for desserts. I could see brunch being harder, but not impossible.

http://cargocollective.com/rootscafebrooklyn I keep wanting to go to this place but haven't.

I think some places don't advertise that they have vegan items out of fear of scarring the omni's away.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:38 am 
Tofu Pup

I love Naidre's too! Have you tried their vegan peanut butter cups? Also, Dizzy's on 8th Ave and 9th Street has some vegan breakfast options--a decent tofu scramble if I recall correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:48 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks everyone! Brunch has been the hardest, but I'm usually totally content to get a soy latte as long as I'm with friends. I didn't even know Dizzy's had a tofu scramble. I swear it's not on the menu...I live super close to it and last time I just got fruit salad and the veggie sausages. Le Pain Quotidien just opened up and I hear they have a good tofu scramble, but I just feel like there are SO many adorable places around here I'd rather go somewhere else!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:17 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Yes peanut butter cups are really good! Different then I expected, but still really good.
I've never been Dizzy's. I might have to try it now. The cool thing about diner's is they should be able to make anything you want as long as they have the ingredients for it. I often ask diner's to make me something that's not on the menu.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:17 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I just went to Bogota for the first time. I would highly recommend their vegan items. Also just opened at the Barclay's Center and a separate location a couple blocks east on Flatbush later this month is Elbow Room. They do only Mac & Cheese. They have one vegan option which is very tasty. They actually claim it's one of their best sellers, which says a lot for a restaurant which sells only items where one of the two main ingredients is cheese. The Barclay's Center location has a door on the outside north side, but are only open on days when the center has an event that night.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:35 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Aarpan can make most vegetarian items dairy free (and nearly all if not all are already egg-free), and they're champs about giving me chana saag instead of paneer saag.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:29 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

What about Sun In Bloom?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:24 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm from NJ so I'm not sure if it's technically in Park Slope but how about Maimonides of Brooklyn (MOB) on Atlantic Ave if you are looking for something casual. They have brunch too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:50 pm 
Inflexitarian

Went to Bogota this weekend for brunch and ordered the coconut granola w/ guava butter french toast, black beans and sweet plantains. It was delicious but towards the end of the meal I noticed how yellow the bread was. It had the look of challah. The more I think about it the more I'm willing to bet that the bread has eggs in it. :(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:08 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

SweetT wrote:
Went to Bogota this weekend for brunch and ordered the coconut granola w/ guava butter french toast, black beans and sweet plantains. It was delicious but towards the end of the meal I noticed how yellow the bread was. It had the look of challah. The more I think about it the more I'm willing to bet that the bread has eggs in it. :(

Last time I was at Bogota, they marked vegan items on the menu! Are they no longer doing that? It'd suck if they were marking things incorrectly...!