| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best NYC restuarants?
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:40 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I feel like new restaurants pop up all the time and ones keep closing, so I thought a more recent thread where everything would be consolidated would be good? Also, we're going next weekend and I have no time to do hours of research, so just tell me now! I've been to NYC so many times, but the choices keep changing! Even since last year.

Post subject: Re: Best NYC restuarants?
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:43 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Peacefood is the only sorta newish one I can think of. Oh and dunwell, of course. But I don't think we really need another thread. There are so many already.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:54 pm 

I know, but I don't wanna read every thread and I won't know which are the best of the best for only a short weekend trip. It's been a bad year, so eating in NYC is all I've been thinking about. *first world problems and not a good reason to not read every thread*

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:04 pm 

Okay. Fair enough! Eat the tiramissu and strawberry shortcake at peacefood!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:11 pm 

I WILL EAT BOTH!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

It depends on your taste of course but I'd say the Candles and the Blossoms are the best. Dirt Candy is good and different. I'm not sure how recent Kajitsu is and I haven't been but it sounds like an experience.
Isn't M.O.B. newish too?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:43 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Hangawi, hands down.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:58 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

also, get the caesar salad at peacefood. awesome. and maybe the chickpea fries? or whatever they're called.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:26 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Katjitsu moved to a new location on 39th street. Tiny in the lower east side is now Teenisimo, Moby not involved. Kate's Joint, Counter, and Curly's are all gone from the East Village. Little Lad's Basket moved from Financial District to Delancy. Teri has a new outpost in FiDi. Blossom is now also in the West Village on Carmine and they have a little take out place on 9th Ave. The chocolate place they used to run on 9th Ave, Cocoa V, is now a bakery.

I've heard many reports that Hangawi has gone downhill, but I haven't been myself recently. Cinnamon Snail has some of the best food in the city, IMO.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:04 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Yes I've been enjoying the Cinnamon Snail. Check FB for location updates.

Blossom Du Jour has moved from next door to the bakery on 9th Ave, they are now at 259 W 23rd Street btwn 7th & 8th Avenues. They have another location (Amsterdam?) on the upper west side.

I think Teanyssimo is not so good now it has changed hands.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:54 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

JillW wrote:
I've heard many reports that Hangawi has gone downhill, but I haven't been myself recently. Cinnamon Snail has some of the best food in the city, IMO.

Really?! I guess my standards must be low. I've been in the past couple months and have been blown away. Franchia is ok but doesn't nearly hit the level of deliciousness that Hangawi does.

And yes, Cinnamon Snail is absolutely worth following around town.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:36 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

rentaghost wrote:

Yeah, this is unfortunately true. I got an absolutely revolting sandwich there a couple of weeks ago.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:37 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

rentaghost wrote:

Yeah, this is unfortunately true. I got an absolutely revolting sandwich there a couple of weeks ago.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:47 pm 

Lan cafe is still my all time favorite.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:14 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

What do you have at Lan? I keep trying it but haven't found anything I really love yet.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:06 pm 

#26 bowl! Their lemon grass seitan is so good! The bbq seitan app is great as are the rice paper rolls and the avocado and cucumber salads.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:16 pm 
Semen Strong

I am sorry its been such a rough year bastah, and I hope you have a nice and well-deserved break!

I love Lan's water spinach in blackbean sauce and the lemon grass seitan, and the rice crepe appetizers! I do love Lan's (followed by Lula's if it happens to be open).

I haven't been in a while, but Pure Food and Wine was an incredible albeit very pricy experience. Its just so different from anything else and the execution is great.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:18 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

and pukk? i haven't been there in forever but CURRY THAI PANCAKE.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:24 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Red Bamboo has a life-altering chicken parmesan sandwich. I have a photo of it on my work screensaver. Also Lula's if it's open and Dunwell. Oh and mac and cheese pizza at Vinnie's in Brooklyn. Damn, I wish I was in NYC!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:26 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I had the lemongrass seitan at Lan's the other day but although it was nice I wasn't wowed. The eggplant salad starter was a huge disappointment (and I love eggplant). I can't recall what I've had on previous visits.

I had doughnuts from Dun-well today and can agree they are amazing!

At Red Bamboo the creole chicken is my favourite. I have it as an appetiser as I find the mash and veg served with it boring. If I'm super hungry I'll have it with sweet potato fries or another appetiser!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:05 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I love #26 at lan too, and #43 is great too. I also love the shrimp papaya salad. The eggplant appetizer is terrible, totally under cooked. I don't love their banh mi - they always seem under filled and kind of dry. Anything else with the lemongrass seitan is probably going to be good. I don't have much else to recommend because I almost always order #26, it's one of my most favorite dishes.

dunwell for sure, it's a cute place on top of having awesome doughnuts. and cinnamon snail too. dunwell's doughnuts are substantially better than cinnamon snail's in my opinion, but you may want to have a comparison tasting to be sure.

I wouldn't go to peacefood if you're only having 4 or 5 meals unless you happen to be in the neighborhood for other reasons - the chickpea fries and nuggets are great and the pannini are also very good, but a lot of the rest of the menu is very ordinary and I have not enjoyed their desserts (I've tried: tiramisu - almost completely tasteless, jammy crumb bar - pretty good at first but very oily aftertaste, grasshopper cookie sandwich - just barely edible, strawberry shortcake - so confused with shortening-based icing on a biscuit and kind of bleh after a couple of bites, carrot cake - ok icing with dry cake, chocolate chip cookie sandwich - totally inedible, cocoa tart - best of the lot). Yes, I've eaten a lot of desserts there given that I don't much care for them - I just went there with a big group so we ordered a ton of desserts.

I do like pukk a lot, especially if you're looking for a good value - the duck salad is great, as are the vast majority of the appetizers (but not the nuggets, those are not tasty). A lot of the entrees and noodle dishes are excellent as well, though I don't care for their curries (a lot of my friends love them, so that's probably just personal taste).

Beyond Sushi is really good and fairly reasonably priced, especially for the quality you get (3 rolls and a salad was about $35 and it was enough food for 2 people for 2 dinners).

I enjoy the blossom empire a lot - blossom, v-note, the cafes, the bakery - they're all very good. I would just stay away from anything that's not european- or american-style food on their menus - I've never been impressed by the curries and latin american dishes they offer, but love their seitan dishes and the black eyed pea cakes are the best.

Kajitsu was wonderful, though I haven't been since they moved. And Dirt Candy is usually amazing (I've been quite a few times and have had some off meals - be careful of the smoked cauliflower, last time I had it, it was like eating a cigarette because it was so over-smoked, but, on average, it's great).

Finally, I'll put in a recommendation for soy & sake village. It's a good place to go if you have omnis with you and though it isn't as gourmet as some of these other places, is has a fantastic selection and the southern chicken sandwich is just great. I also love their special sushi rolls - the veggie lover's and hawaii roll in particular. The naruto appetizer is easy to overlook, but that's also fantastic.

For food on the go, I really like Two Boots' new vegan slice, and sigmund's pretzels has great pretzels (I know the cinnamon raisin flavor is vegan and I think all of the others that look vegan are vegan).

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:53 pm 

Oh yeah! Good call on beyond sushi. Its really great! My favorite new place for sure.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:15 pm 

Thanks guys! We have a list of places to go now! YAY!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:08 am 

We had an awesome time! We fit in a lot of food, but I wish we could have gone to 438597345783 more places. We ended up at Brooklyn Mac yesterday since everything else was closed, so that was not planned, but O M G, SO forking GOOD! I think it was my favorite place that we went to. Pala Pizza (we went there for gluten free pizza) comes in second.

Half the places on our list were closed (dang holiday weekend).