| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Butcher's Daughter
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:45 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Just wondering if anyone here tried this place and what you thought about it. They had an article about them in the Daily News this week...

http://www.thebutchersdaughter.com/

Post subject: Re: The Butcher's Daughter
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:35 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I've heard it's mostly raw, but heard really good things in write-ups about the restaurant for their kale salad. The prices, however, I don't think I could justify unless the portions are huge.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:41 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I've walked in and out a few times - I've never been able to see anything to order to-go except juice (and I'm usually rushed enough at lunchtime to have to take food to go) and the staff have always just completely ignored me while I've wandered around in front of the counter looking lost.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:16 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

alright, so, I went in and waited in line to ask about food other than juices and they do indeed have salads and sandwiches for take out.

I got the 10 veggie salad with cashew cheese ($14) and was deeply underwhelmed given the price (I would have been ok with the salad for half the price). It was arugula, radishes, raw mushrooms (cooked would have been much nicer), carrots, raw zucchini, tomatoes and perhaps jicama or fennel (I couldn't quite tell) with 4 pretty decent sourdough croutons and about a tbs of cashew cheese on top with a very sweet balsamic dressing. It was a respectable size for a lunch salad, but just not that great - there was yellowed and wilted arugula in the salad, the dressing was too sweet, and there wasn't nearly enough cashew cheese given the price.

A lot of the juices and smoothies looked amazing, and I'm sure I'll try a few other things (the caprese sandwich looked intriguing), but it wasn't the most promising start.

It seems like I'm harping on the expense, but it's only because it wasn't a good value. I'll happily pay $13 for a taco wrap from rawlicious, which is pretty small but delicious and filling.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]