| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Table Verte
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:09 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

What a cute place! Vegetarian French food, how unique. Don't expect fake meat or anything, it's all about the expertly prepared vegetables and flavorful sauces. Which is the whole point of French food.

http://www.tablevertenyc.com/

It's not completely vegan and items like gnocchi you'll WISH were vegan. But the vegan options are well-rounded and the portions are huge.

It's definitely pricey (20+ an entree) and strangely wintery (lots of root veggies, sweet potatoes, beans) but definitely worth it for a gossipy dinner date with a friend or a romantic night out. Also, I didn't bring any wine, but they charge a corkage fee even though they don't sell alcohol.

Service was excellent and friendly. I didn't get dessert, but there were at least 3 vegan desserts that looked amazing. Next time.

Roasted fennel and other veggies, over rosemary polenta, with a saffron sauce:

Post subject: Re: Table Verte
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:32 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Mmmm, that sounds really delicious. I've been eyeing the cassoulet for months (I hope it's vegan) upon hearing about the place. I can finally pretend I'm dining in a cafe in Paris minus the empty, grumbling tummy afterward.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:53 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I went there recently too--almost started a thread. Agree it's a little pricey. Had main and dessert and was actually still hungry afterwards. I had the polenta too, and it was great but just not enough food for me. Partner had a stuffed squash thing and I think that was more filling. For dessert we had something with berries and coconut icecream. The whole place was like a trip to southern France, in a good way. I would say about half the entrees were vegan.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:57 pm 
Saggy Butt

Ooooh looks good! I pass this place all the time and was curious about the vegan options. Maybe I can convince the manfriend to have a date night there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:40 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

This place is now closed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:55 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

after they dropped most of the v'gan stuff, incidentally.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:27 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I went this week (table verte is closed, but the same people opened a new place in the same spot. It's called Le Village now). It was really, really good, but isn't a vegetarian restaurant any more, which is sad though potentially useful for people with skeptical omnis to entertain. There's one appetizer with meat and one entree, the rest are vegetarian/vegan and it's about a 65-35 split vegan-vegetarian for the appetizers and about 40-60 vegan-vegetarian for the entrees.

We ordered all vegan stuff and the chef came out to talk to us twice about the vegan food and was really psyched about the whole thing. We got:
beet salad (beets, raisins, almonds, very mild horseradish, parsley - amazing and totally unlike any beet salad I've had before),
duxelles (mushroom pate with mini puff pastry puffs for dipping + mustard and cornichons - very tasty, though I do prefer Dirt Candy's version if I had to choose between them),
cassoulet - this was a new dish and really great. It was dark and rich and stew-y but all of the components were still recognizable as themselves, and
the roast cauliflower - I've never had cauliflower done like this before - the whole exterior was tangy but caramelized and it came apart with a fork. Super good and the sauce and sides were delicious too.

no desserts this time, but there were 2 vegan options (of about 6).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:20 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I love cassoulet!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:10 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Oh I was mixed up then. I thought the new place with the new menu was closing. Didn't realize there had been a name change, or forgot.