| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan-Friendly around Union Square
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:42 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi! My team at work (Girl Scouts in NJ) is going on a team outing to NYC on Dec. 18. I have been tasked with finding a restaurant for lunch. I need a place with vegan options (for me) but not exclusively veg, preferably around Union Square, as we will be visiting the holiday market around lunch time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Vegan-Friendly around Union Square
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:11 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

How expensive?

There's Hotel Tortuga on. 14th street a block from Union Square that has both vegan and non vegan and pricier, John's of 12th Street. There's also a big Whole Foods right in Union Square but it's going to be super busy on a Saturday. There are so many vegan/vegetarian places in the neighborhood that I rarely eat somewhere that's not around there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:38 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Hmm like a sit-down restaurant? There are various Thai, Vietnamese and Japanese joints on University Place that would accommodate veg and omnis. But some super falafel places, including all-veg Maoz and Rainbow like right across the street from the park, there's no seating but the weather may be nice enough to be outside! Cafe Medina on 17th St has soups (usually at least one vegan I think) and sandwiches, Dig Inn also on 17th has healthy but not just veg stuff, and there's also Republic which is right on the square and has various noodle Pan-Asian stuff. I work in a building facing the park and like blondie, yeah, I stick to the all-veg places in this area

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:04 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Republic is decent for a large group because they have giant tables/open seating. Like Audrey said, it's a noodle joint but mid-scale in price and atmosphere. I really like Hotel Tortuga but it's quite small, not tons of tables.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:12 am 
Tofu Pup

Thanks so much! I just proposed Republic, Hotel Tortuga and Dig Inn to my team. I am looking forward to trying these recommendations!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:36 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

My wife and I recently had breakfast at Le Pain Quotidien between 49th and 50th on 2nd Ave. It may be a bit of a walk from Union Square, but it was excellent and has a vegan-friendly menu.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:51 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

There's a le pain quotidien right by union square (at 11th and broadway, which is 3 blocks away from the park). It's a good veg/non-veg group option.