| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Main Essentials - Nyack, NY
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:50 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I know this is the NYC forum but Nyack is only about a half hour from the city. BTW, I really wish there was a north Jersey forum (or at least dedicated thread) since here a ton of us out here and a good number of eateries.

Tried this place called Main Essentials in Nyack, NY tonight. Nyack, if you don't know, is right on the West Bank of the Hudson River. Near the Tappan Zee Bridge, pretty much accross the river from Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown. It's off 287 and about 5 minutes away from the Palisades Park Mall and about 15 minutes from the NJ border.

The place is a super casual all vegan restaurant and juice bar. It's owned by two Dominican brothers who are super friendly and really make you feel at home. It's not a typical sit down and order place. All of the food is in a steam table in the back and you point out to them what you want and how much you want. My wife and I went with friends that are an omni couple and we decided to just get a bunch of plates of pretty much everything and share it family style. (Vegan) Chicken Curry, rice and lentils, pumpkin mashed potatoes, some spicy squash dish, seitan empanadas, veggie empanadas, and some kind of fried plantains with a nice sweet cinnamon type of flavor.

My review of the food.... It was really really good. Everything. Our omni friends couldn't stop gushing over it. We ended up going back up and getting 2 more full plates for us to share. I would say this food was actually as good as the food I've gotten at Veggie Heaven (a top notch vegan restaurant in Montclair and Teaneck NJ). Although this place is a lot less formal and without the huge plethora of choice on the menu at Veggie Heaven. I would definitely take the 25 minute drive to come out here again.

As far as atmosphere. The place is clean and has a chill ambience but nothing fancy. There is a bar with barstools that serves fresh juices (wheatgrass, and other cleansing types greens, etc). There was another table eating and there were 1 or 2 people at the juice bar when we got there but otherwise the place was empty. Which was weird since it was 7:00 pm on a Saturday night. But the place definitely seems like more of a lunch place, so perhaps that's why.

Now my complaints.. While I can't make any complaints about the taste of the food, I must say that it didn't exactly look overly appetizing when it was shown to us in the steam table. Sort of looked like leftovers. But I guess anything sitting in a steam table looks like that after a short period of time. Despite the presentation though, it all tasted very fresh.

Another thing... and this is more of a suggestion than complaint. They have this verly simple snack bar menu hanging on the wall. Stuff all vegans make at home but wouldn't bother ordering when out (Amy's veggie burgers, tofu sandwich, etc). I guess that's fine if you need a quick convenient lunch but we saw two couples walk in, look at the menu, and walk out. The hot items in the steam table aren't advertised anywhere and there are no menus to look at so it's all a little confusing at first. This also makes the pricing confusing. They basically handed us 7 or 8 plates of food and had no idea how much we would be charged. We got a bill at the end that was a very fair price ($62 for dinner for 4) but we have no idea how they arrived at that price. It was sort of that feeling of when informal becomes a little too informal.

Anyways, that was our experience. Hopefully someone will find it helpful cause it took forever to type this on an ipad.

Post subject: Re: Main Essentials - Nyack, NY
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:41 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

good to know about if I'm ever up that way.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:12 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Okay perhaps I overestimated the north Jersey presence on this board lol. I swear there are a lot of us around here though!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:40 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

the NJ specific thread is pretty much all north jerseyans. there are very few vegan places in south and central jersey. (which honestly makes that huge NJ thread pretty unnavigable and slightly pointless for me.)

with that, we've also been to main essentials, and i felt the same way about being unsure about the prices. but you can also tell him to give you only the amount of food that a certain price would buy. that works too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:37 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

supercarrot wrote:
the NJ specific thread is pretty much all north jerseyans. there are very few vegan places in south and central jersey. (which honestly makes that huge NJ thread pretty unnavigable and slightly pointless for me.)

with that, we've also been to main essentials, and i felt the same way about being unsure about the prices. but you can also tell him to give you only the amount of food that a certain price would buy. that works too.

I poked around and couldn't find the NJ thread. I'll look again. Is it in the NYC forum?

And yes, they seemed like they would basically accommodate any request, I just found it awkward that you have to tell them how you want rather than them telling you "this is how it works... prices, etc.".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:30 pm 

nope. if you go to the main square landing page, you can scroll down past the subforums, and see all the non-categorized posts.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=90 (it's not in the NYC subforum, because that'd intentionally exclude the folks in south jersey instead of just incidentally happening to be mostly north jersey posters.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:21 pm 
Semen Strong

We should do more NNJ stuff in the NY Forum, I guess.

Tynamite, where are you? Wanna do a local meetup?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:34 am 

we probably should just have 2 separate threads. maybe i'll make a s. jersey one.
ok, i did. viewtopic.php?f=43&t=27934

anyway, in my looking in the NJ thread, i found my review of main essentials, so here's a copy-paste.
viewtopic.php?p=600216#p600216
supercarrot wrote:
we went to nyack main essentials. it was very tasty, but the selection was limited. (we went at 8:30, and they close at 9, so it's understandable. i'm sure if we went earlier, there'd be more things. there were 12 spots in the buffet table, it looked like, and having gotten there so late, there were only 6 left.) the in-laws seemed pleased, even with the small selection. they only got the soup and some chicken wings, so it's possible they were just saying that to make us not feel bad.

next time we'll try true food across the street. that might have more selection, and it also serves meat.

then we went to patisserie didier dumas and got some sorbetto. (they have an out-of-date list of non-dairy flavors on the front of the case. the black currant flavor was very tasty.) http://www.didierdumas.com

then down the street, there was a bakery that was opening up called flour buds that said it was gluten free, and the little blurb in the window said it will have vegan selections daily. http://www.flourbuds.com (they weren't open when we were there.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:51 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

supercarrot wrote:
nope. if you go to the main square landing page, you can scroll down past the subforums, and see all the non-categorized posts.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=90 (it's not in the NYC subforum, because that'd intentionally exclude the folks in south jersey instead of just incidentally happening to be mostly north jersey posters.)

Thanks Supercarrot. I had no idea those threads were under the sub-forums. The NJ thread will be my after dinner read tonight.

Tofulish wrote:
Tynamite, where are you? Wanna do a local meetup?

Tofulish, I'm from Mahwah. The Fardale section which is where the Wyckoff, Allendale, Ramsey, Franklin Lakes, and Mahwah borders all sort of converge. And I would live to do a meetup. Is it possible to get a bunch of PPK people from north NJ to meetup? That would be fun.

Edit: people from anywhere, not just north NJ. I didn't mean to exclude Supercarrot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:13 pm 

Tynamite wrote:
Edit: people from anywhere, not just north NJ. I didn't mean to exclude Supercarrot.

HAHA! no problem. :-) i rarely travel very far for PPK meetups, so i'll bow out. <3