| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 7 Hours in NYC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:02 am 
Tofu Pup

So it turns out that I will have about 7 hours for a solo exploration of some NY Vegan hospitality and could use some recommendations! Flying into LaGuardia next weekend (I live in Detroit) for a family event...getting in Friday morning before other family members arrive and was hoping to find an area ripe with vegan-tastic food, walking around-ability, some stores, etc. What are the "must go there's"? What area should I head to? (I've heard Williamsburg but not sure if that's true..) Just looking for some good food and atmosphere, Please let me know if there's someplace I shouldn't miss...I'll do the same when you come to Detroit!

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 7 Hours in NYC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:40 am 
Semen Strong

I would go to the East Village and get vegan Thai at Pukk, go to Lula's, walk around and go and stock up on vegan donuts at Atlas and maybe walk around the area, because there are some neat vegan stores and thrift stores etc. But 7 hours gives you a lot of time to explore - you could even then walk south towards the Brooklyn Bridge, and get veggie dim sum in Chinatown.

Really, wherever you go will be lots of fun!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:03 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I second the East Village. Lula's doesn't open til 3, FYI, but Sustainable New York sells some of their flavors and they are open much earlier.

Does the seven hours include travel time to and from LaGuardia? Because it will take a while to get to Manhattan or Williamsburg on public transportation.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:39 pm 
Tofu Pup

East Village should be your first stop, along with the Lower East Side (just south of the East Village) for Moo Shoes and Babycakes. The L subway line has a stop at 14th Street and 1st Avenue (the upper edge of the East Village), going to Brooklyn, and the first stop is Bedford Ave. in Williamsburg, so if you do have a full 7 hours, you could fit in all 3 neighborhoods.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:40 pm 
Tofu Pup

East Village should be your first stop, along with the Lower East Side (just south of the East Village) for Moo Shoes and Babycakes. The L subway line has a stop at 14th Street and 1st Avenue (the upper edge of the East Village), going to Brooklyn, and the first stop is Bedford Ave. in Williamsburg, so if you do have a full 7 hours, you could fit in all 3 neighborhoods.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:39 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks for the suggestions! Actually think East Village/Lower East Side area will work out...found out that I will be meeting my family in the Gramercy Park area, which doesn't look to be too far away (on the map anyway). I'm flying in Friday morning and got an offer for a ride from the airport for some Adverturetime, so was thinking I'd have them drop me off at Atlas Cafe. Seemed like a good place to start? (on the interwebs anyway). Are there any super awesome places with vegan breakfast that I shouldn't miss?

Thanks for the heads up about Moo Shoes too! Pretty happy to check them out in real life... also, are there any can't miss thrift stores or other neat-o places in the area?

Thanks again, folks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:18 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Gramercy Park isn't far from the East Village. Right in that neighborhood on 23rd and 3rd are a whole bunch of thrift stores. Goodwill, Housing Works, Salvation Army, NYC Opera and one for animals. I have varying luck there. On 12th and First there's a store called No Relation where I have found some real treasures (a lion and tiger print blouse from the 50s for $7) but it's iffy. Worth a look at least.