| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smorgasbord, A Brooklyn Food Flea Market
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:56 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi everyone, I just moved to NY last week from Austin and I wanted to check out Smorgasbord. Has anyone ever been and did they have some cool vegan eats available? Thanks for any guidance you can give me or if you just have cool suggestions of what to do, I would gladly welcome those as well.

Post subject: Re: Smorgasbord, A Brooklyn Food Flea Market
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:55 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I think its called smorgasburg, maybe. I've never been but my friend sells Vegan granola bars and caramel corn there. And I'm pretty sure there's other vegan stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:57 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Yeah! The homemade tempeh guy is there and the bbq sandwich he makes is REALLY good (but the coleslaw that comes with it is awful). You can also buy tempeh from him too. There was some vegan ice cream, doughnuts, and empanadas when I was there too. The doughnuts were pretty yummy, and she was almost sold out (and was sold out of the empanadas) in the afternoon. Not sure if the same vendors are there every week.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:27 pm 
Tofu Pup

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I think its called smorgasburg, maybe. I've never been but my friend sells Vegan granola bars and caramel corn there. And I'm pretty sure there's other vegan stuff.

derpa derpa, yeah, it's called smorgasburg...the "urg" never really caught my attention.

Thanks for the suggestions and correction.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:34 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Yeah Smorgasburg! Electric Blue Baking is the stand that sells vegan doughnuts, empanadas, and other delicious things. She changes her selection each week, but it's all delicious. Definitely seek her out. I also like People's Pops super good popsicles and Rob & Anna's frozen banana soft serve. Asia Dog sells a veggie dog if you're in the mood for that. I don't think their kimchee is veg, but they have one dog that is with spicy ketchup, mustard and crushed potato chips that's pretty good. If you aren't there to eat immediately, there is a stand called Flour City Pasta that sells organic, homemade dried pastas that are all vegan and really delicious. And over in the side of the market that is mostly farmers market stands, there is also a bakery called Body & Soul that is all vegan, run by the former proprietor of Counter Restaurant.

I'm worried this all might be too late since you posted it last Friday, but to everyone else, it's worth checking out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:48 am 
Tofu Pup

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but when I was there a few weeks back, there was an Ethiopian stand with great vegan options. It was along the right hand side, not far from the tempeh.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:50 am 
Tofu Pup

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but when I was there a few weeks back, there was an Ethiopian stand with great vegan options. It was along the right hand side, not far from the tempeh.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:34 am 
Inflexitarian

Sabilyn wrote:

the ethiopian stand is bunna cafe.
i often see them at the vegan pop up shop as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:38 pm 
Hip Goiter

Ugh I can't wait to go to the Saturday one in Williamsburg. I went to the Dumbo one today and it features much fewer vendors. I didn't find Electric Blue, Regal Vegan, the vegan taco option, or the tempeh guy! Still decent, just not amazing. Alchemy Creamery was there, but it was too hot to choose ice cream when Kelvin Slush was an option.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:44 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Last weekend at smorgasburg (in williamsburg, not dumbo) I had a phatty melt from chickpea & olive (http://www.chickpeaandolive.com/). It was a beet burger with daiya, tomato & aioli on multigrain, and I added eggplant bacon. I had homemade beet burgers at home once but didn't really like them (I just don't like beets), but I had read rave reviews of this place and went for it. It was SO GOOD and has changed my opinion on beet burgers. Just thinking about it makes me sad I can't have one for lunch today. Bunna cafe was there too, and I've been dying to try their food but I just didn't feel like a messy meal (it was super windy). I also tried some peanut butter ice cream from Alchemy creamery, and it was kind of disappointing.

Last year I had a dosa from a place that was there last weekend still (I think) and that was pretty good also.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:45 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

heatherkelly wrote:
Last weekend at smorgasburg (in williamsburg, not dumbo) I had a phatty melt from chickpea & olive (http://www.chickpeaandolive.com/). It was a beet burger with daiya, tomato & aioli on multigrain, and I added eggplant bacon. I had homemade beet burgers at home once but didn't really like them (I just don't like beets), but I had read rave reviews of this place and went for it. It was SO GOOD and has changed my opinion on beet burgers. Just thinking about it makes me sad I can't have one for lunch today.

i had one of those too last time i was in Brooklyn! very yummy, though a tiny bit greasy for me.

what other flavors did Alchemy have? their green tea coconut ice cream is divine.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:39 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
heatherkelly wrote:
Last weekend at smorgasburg (in williamsburg, not dumbo) I had a phatty melt from chickpea & olive (http://www.chickpeaandolive.com/). It was a beet burger with daiya, tomato & aioli on multigrain, and I added eggplant bacon. I had homemade beet burgers at home once but didn't really like them (I just don't like beets), but I had read rave reviews of this place and went for it. It was SO GOOD and has changed my opinion on beet burgers. Just thinking about it makes me sad I can't have one for lunch today.

i had one of those too last time i was in Brooklyn! very yummy, though a tiny bit greasy for me.

what other flavors did Alchemy have? their green tea coconut ice cream is divine.

I found it a little greasy as well, but nothing too awful for a special saturday lunch! I honestly can't remember what else Alchemy had - once I saw peanut butter my eyes passed by everything else. I got it in a cup rather than a push pop because the pop had chocolate chips and I wasn't feeling them. As the guy was scooping it he made a comment about how the peanut butter wasn't smooth like it should be, which is why I think I didn't enjoy it. It was crumbly in a weird way, I think the pop may have been better. Oh well!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:15 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I finally got to Smorgasburg Saturday for the first time. I had the Bunna Cafe (Ethiopian) sampler of everything. It was really great but a couple of the items I'd never had at an Ethiopian restaurant before. One of the items had avocado and the other was a traditional injera salad but with a dressing I'd never had before, sunflower milk. Googling it looks like these are both unique to Bunna Cafe. Ethiopian is by far my favorite food and I'd describe these as experimental. It was all extremely delicious, better than everything else I tried at Smorgasburg. But if anyone's wondering, for good or bad, it's not all what I'd consider traditional Ethiopian.

I also tried Barry's Tempeh in a tamale. I've had Barry's Tempeh in other formats and it's great, but I didn't really like the tamale. It was fairly bland. Alchemy I went with the pumpkin spice because it's seasonal. They also let me sample the other three options and they were all great. I'd never heard of Alchemy before but I'll probably seek them out at some point now. Finally, I sampled the Queen Majesty hot sauce. It was pretty spicy and had a great flavor too so I picked up a bottle. It's usually hard to find actual flavor in a very spicy hot sauce.