| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Visiting in July - Need a food shortlist
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:27 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hey folks! My partner and I are coming to New York for about five days in July for a little vacation within our vacation home to Virginia. I'm overwhelmed by the eating options in New York. Last time we were there, it was December and covered in ice, so I didn't venture out as much as I wanted to. This year I plan to eat A LOT.

What is a shortlist of restaurants? I'm hoping to make a list of breakfast, lunch and dinner options to add to a map and use while we're out and about in the city. We'll be seeing a lot of art and architecture stuff (my boyfriend's passion) and I'll be peppering the museum visits with food options.

Can you guys help me make a list of 5 breakfast, lunch, and dinner options in the city? We'll be staying in an apartment, so we can get takeout or delivery, too. I WANT TO EAT!

Post subject: Re: Visiting in July - Need a food shortlist
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:24 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

my one absolute must-not-miss destination would be the Cinnamon Snail food truck - amazing breakfasts, sandwiches, desserts, EVERYTHING. follow them on facebook or twitter to find out where they'll be parked on any given day.

other places i highly recommend:
Candle 79 (though i haven't been there in years) - gourmet vegan fanciness
Lula's (or whatever they've changed their name to now) - you'll probably want ice cream in July
Champs Family Bakery - excellent for brunch
Smorgasburg - open-air food market in Brooklyn with lots of vegan options.

also good, but not essential:
Terri - good for fake meat & takeout
Lan Cafe - little hole-in-the-wall Vietnamese place that does great seitan
Soy & Sake - vegetarian Japanese/fusion
any of the other Candle or Blossom sit-down restaurants
Organic Grill - not entirely vegetarian, but lots of good vegan options, especially for breakfast
Vegetarian Dim Sum House - pretty much what it sounds like

places i haven't tried, but would really like to:
Dirt Candy (book as far in advance as possible!)
Franchia Tea House (fancy Asian fusion)
Hangawi (Korean)
Bunna Cafe (Ethiopian, but located in Bushwick, which may be too far if you're based in Manhattan)

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:42 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Depends on where you are staying but if you are going to pass through Port Authority bus terminal, Maos is cheap, fast, and amazeballs and just around the corner.

and yes FFS lula's.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:02 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Cinnamon Snail- a vegan lunch truck which moves daily (you can find the schedule on FB or twitter).

There's also Peacefood which had two locations, the Village one has cronuts.

I personally think Candle Café on the Upper East Side is overrated but I second Candle 79 for a fancy meal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:05 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've been to Champs before, but I wouldn't mind going again. I'm obsessed with Ethiopian food, so Bunna could never be too far away. And Cinnamon Snail sounds amazing!

I think I've been to vegetarian dim sum before, but I'm not sure since there are other veggie dim sum places. Do they have something called a treasure ball? Just typing it activates my gag reflex, but most everything else I had there was good!

I feel like I should really try Candle 79 since it's such a famous landmark of vegan food. I had it on my list last time, but didn't make it there. I also had Lula's on my list and didn't make it there last time, but this time it will be sweltering in July so a banana split is in order.

Thank you guys!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm also concerned about these very important things: bagels and donuts. I would like to get some yummy bagels with various flavored cream cheese options and some yeasted donuts.

I have a kick asparagus bagel shop at home in Virginia, but I want some NY bagels, too. I'll be staying in the lower east side, but I am so willing to venture out on a long walk in search of foods.

Oh...isn't there an awesome vegan pizza parlor? Isn't it run by a PPKer? I can't remember his name.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:56 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Cinnamon Snail has you covered! they do incredible donuts. there's also Dun-Well, which should be doable if you're going to venture into Brooklyn anyway.

i don't know which bagels are the best, but there are tons of bagel places that do tofu cream cheese. i like New York Muffins near the Bedford Ave station in Williamsburg, which do bagel sammiches with avocado and onion or something like that.

are you thinking of 3 Brothers? i don't think Jay works there anymore, and it's kind of far, unless you want to travel into Long Island for something else.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:40 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I second the recommendation for Smorgasburg. There are lots of different food stalls, so you can try a huge variety of things, and it's a fun place for people watching too. Just make sure you check the schedule because it's in different locations on different days, and each location has different vendors.
http://www.smorgasburg.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:19 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

torque wrote:
Depends on where you are staying but if you are going to pass through Port Authority bus terminal, Maos is cheap, fast, and amazeballs and just around the corner.

and yes FFS lula's.

Maoz is good (there are a few locations throughout the city), but for my money the best falafel is at Taim - they have two locations downtown and a food truck.

There's also a new Candle restaurant on the West Side. I think it's a Cafe, not like 79, but a fancier atmosphere than the east side cafe, if I'm not misremembering.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

There is a West Side Candle Café that is in between fanciness of Candle 79 and Candle Café east. It's good and less fancy/pricy than Candle 79.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

There is a West Side Candle Café that is in between fanciness of Candle 79 and Candle Café east. It's good and less fancy/pricy than Candle 79.

You can get good vegan slices at Vinnies in Williamsburg, fyi.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:11 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

You have to go to Dunwell for doughnuts. They're in Bushwick, but right off the subway, so not a pain to get to at all. They are the best doughnuts I've ever had (vegan or not).

I prefer the Blossom empire to the Candle empire, but both are good (I agree with whoever said Candle Cafe is overrated, and it's also overpriced). Kajitsu is wonderful if you like Japanese food and have the budget for it. Dirt Candy is really great too.

I agree that Taim is the best for falafel, and Cinnamon Snail is very much worth tracking down (I think their savory food is much more impressive than their sweets, but I think that's a minority opinion, so try their doughnuts)!

Lan Cafe is wonderful, and I also enjoy Pukk (mostly but not entirely vegan thai). Soy and Sake is also tasty, but I feel like you have to choose carefully there to wind up happy.

Franchia and Hangawi are good, but not amazing - I think they're priced just a little higher than I can deal with for my level of enjoyment of their food.

Also, yes, of course, Lula's!

No one has mentioned 'snice yet, which has great sandwiches (get the vegan pannini), and I also love the pannini at peacefood (plus the chickpea fries! I don't much like the baked goods there, but everyone else I know loves them, so it's probably just me).

Places that you'll run into out and about that have vegan options are: Maoz (falafel), Two Boots (omni pizza place, should always have 2 vegan slices available - one with daiya, one without), Le Pain Quotidien (soups, sandwiches, pretty impressive vegan baked goods), 'wichcraft (omni sandwich place, the chickpea sandwich is vegan). Also, there are bagels everywhere and all of the bagel places will have vegan cream cheese flavors.

On the non-veg restaurant front, I really like Le Village. It only serves 2 meat dishes, everything else is veg and has really nice vegan options. It's byob and cash/amex only, if you decide to go.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:37 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

pickledtreats wrote:
I'm also concerned about these very important things: bagels and donuts. I would like to get some yummy bagels with various flavored cream cheese options and some yeasted donuts.

my partner is a "bagel connoisseur" and highly recommends the Bagel Store on bedford in williamsburg!

(formerly known as wintermitts)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm so excited. We will definitely be heading into Brooklyn and I will get my hands on some doughnuts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

When are you going? I'll be there the second week in July. It would be awesome to meet up if we're there at the same time!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

rachell37 wrote:
When are you going? I'll be there the second week in July. It would be awesome to meet up if we're there at the same time!

Aw man! I won't be there until later in the month :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:32 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Can't help but chime in here.

For bagels, my favorite ever was Absolute Bagels, but they're a bit out of the way up by Columbia on 110th. But... fresh, warm garlic bagel with sundried tomato tofu cream cheese? Uh, yes please. I also lived next to Line Bagles (formerly F-Line Bagels but the MTA shut that downnn), in Carroll Gardens, which had phenomenal bagels and tofu spread, as well. That's in Brooklyn, though. Bagel Store is also pretty damn tasty.

Cannot emphasize enough the importance of Cinnamon Snail (CREOLE TOFU), Dun-Well (seriously. worth the trek. go.), Lula's, and Hangawi (BIBIMBAP). You've been to Champs, but I happen to think their brunch is the best. I really think Pukk is overrated, so I'd go to Lan Cafe instead if you're looking for Vietnamese fare. But be aware that their hours are insanely sporadic, so you may show up only to discover that they are weirdly closed at a normal hour.

Terri has great wraps (caesar wrap is my fave) and smoothies (green power), and Snice is a good sandwich option. There's also Blossom du Jour, which I hear has vegan cronuts on occasion. I also really like Gobo and Peacefood!

And yeah yeah, Candle is pretty great. Definitely worth a visit for fancier evenings.

Dunno if you or your dude is into coffee, but if you are, check out Cafe Grumpy, Joe, Third Rail, or Intelligentsia. That should keep you caffeinated for a while.

Have a great time! I'm visiting in June and cannot wait to stuff my face.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:24 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

There's a lot of pretty amazing and spot on recommendations in here!

A few places that come to mind that I don't see listed here -
Gobo (we go to the one on 6th ave a little up from the w4th subway - I think there is another location?) is really really good. It's a little pricey, but not crazy over the top expensive, and really nice inside - my husband and I rotate this place through for "special occasion" dinners. It's asian-ey, but in a vague way. The soy protein spinach cashew mushroom roll meal is THE BEST. (ah! just saw the post above me mentioned it)
Pala - a pizza place down on allen st. I haven't been there in a few years now, but the pizza is really good. They have omni pizza as well, and it's slightly upscale.
Zen Palate - sadly, the very central union sq location closed a long time ago, but there is another one up in the 40s, around the theater district. I tend to go here now when my mom is visiting, as that's the only time I'm ever in that area. It's asian food, the sweet and sour protein is really good. And the spinach wonton soup! The best.
And Red Bamboo...when I was in college in upstate ny we would sometimes drive down to the city just to eat here for special occasions. Once I finally lived here and it was at my disposal it lost a little of it's charm, and in years past I've probably only been maybe once every year and a half or so. But that soul chicken sandwich!! This would be a great place to stop for lunch if you're in the area (it's off the w4th subway stop as well)

Lunch - I think Terri and Blossom du Jour both are really good around the city lunch options (although they're kind of close to one another). Cafe Blossom is a good lunch spot too, and there is one in the west village as well as up on the upper west side. The upper west side one is close to the Natural History Museum, if you end up there! I'm of the same camp as someone else who I saw said they were more into the Blossom empire than the Candle empire, although I haven't been to any of the Candle places in yeeeeears. (I really love the Blossom in Chelsea for a "nice" dinner".) Le Pain Quotidien is a good lunch option too if you're around Central Park, but only in a pinch as the vegan choices are limited. There's a place I tried recently when I had family in town that's almost next door to the west village cafe blossom called Ellary's Greens, I had a really good chickpea burger there, but it was expensive and the portions were small. Oh, also I second Maoz - that place has great falafel (get the one with eggplant!) and you can totally load in extras from the salad bar thing. They're all over the city, the union square one is really nice in warm weather to get one from and then walk over and eat it in the park. Also, the Cinnamon Snail truck!! Make sure you find it at least once, and be prepared to want everything.

Breakfast - I really like Bagel Smith in Williamsburg too - their sundried tomato/basil tofu cream cheese is really good. My #1 favorite bagel place in NY was Bergen Bagels (the one on Myrtle in Clinton Hill) - when I was in grad school I ate lunch there almost every day, and I haven't been in a really long time now - it's a little out of the way for staying in the east village (if for some reason you do go to Clinton Hill, go to Clementine's Bakery! Really good sandwiches and amazing baked goods!). I agree that Champs is the best brunch around (I think I saw someone say that?) now that Kate's is gone, it's the only place I'm interested in getting brunch at, ever. (Also, Champs for lunch and dinner and treats all the time, obviously!)

This post is getting out of hand! Definitely stop by smorgasburg, and eat at chick pea and olive! I think Dunwell's doughnuts are better than Cinnamon Snail's, and you should most definitely make a special trip for them (they don't keep very well to the next day, in case you're like me and want to buy many in one visit to have over a few days). I'm not a big fan of Angelica's, just too hippy-vegan for me. I'd skip Soy and Sake - I went there one year for my birthday dinner and was really disappointed. Lula's! Do not skip Lula's. Lan Cafe for vietnamese, Bunna for Ethiopian. Oasis for falafel in Williamsburg right at the Bedford ave subway. There is a fresh fruit co at the north corner of Union Square - since you'll be there in July it would be a perfect spot to stop at for some soft serve! Vinnie's pizza in Williamsburg or Greenpoint (BBQ chicken pizza!). Pine Box Rock Shop (site of the vegan shop up) in Bushwick for drinks (it's a vegan bar). There's a mexican place in Williamsburg called Taco Chulo that has a really good vegan taco. Also, vegetarian dim sum is my always and forever favorite, but if you've been there there is also Buddha Bodai. They only do dim sum at specific times, though (lunch I think?). Don't go to Hotel Tortuga on 14th st - it may come up on a search (it's related to the very sadly departed Curly's) but the food is just kind of meh - if you've only got 5 days don't waste a meal there. The cafe at MOMA (cafe 2) has surprisingly good vegan options - I've eaten a really good salad there as well as had really good soup.

Ok really, out of hand. Have a great time! Eat a ton!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:37 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

everything's been said, but definitely if you can afford to spend $80-$100 per person, make a reservation at Kajitsu. It's always very weird and you'll eat some flavors and textures you've never had before. our friends just took us for our birthdays and it was awesome. insane and awesome. really cool atmosphere. really good service and a fun experience.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:57 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

ijustdiedinside wrote:
everything's been said, but definitely if you can afford to spend $80-$100 per person, make a reservation at Kajitsu. It's always very weird and you'll eat some flavors and textures you've never had before. our friends just took us for our birthdays and it was awesome. insane and awesome. really cool atmosphere. really good service and a fun experience.

Slight thread derailment - ijustdiedinside - my birthday is in a week and a half and I was considering asking my husband to take me here, I've never been! Is everything there totally vegan? I was slightly confused because I always see things that say vegetarian/vegan related to this place, and not just vegan. Did you have the current spring menu listed on their website right now?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:06 pm 

yeah, it's 100% vegan. I don't know why it doesn't say it on their website at all. That's annoying, but I'm sure if you called they'd confirm it. We all had the Hana menu. It was really good. the spring box looked like you were eating some insano alien food, but it was awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ijustdiedinside wrote:

Normally I would balk at a price like that, but we've had some lucky financial breaks on this trip - plus I get paid in euros, which I use to justify expensive stuff sometimes when I visit. SO YES. I might consider this. Your texture comment scares me slightly, though. My bf and I have horror flashbacks to the treasure ball at Vegetarian Dim Sum. I mean, WHAT IS IT? I'm going to check their website.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'll be staying in the lower east side. Any tips for yummy stuff near there in case I'm feeling lazy? I'm searching Yelp and found a place called Pala selling pizza that reviewers say has a full vegan menu in addition to its regular menu. That could be interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:36 am 

The treasure ball is taro! It basically deep fried mashed potatoes. Lots of the stuff mentioned here is on the LES. Lan, lula's, pukk, organic grill, angelica kitchen. Beyond sushi I don't think was mentioned, but it's currently my favorite place! There's also whole foods if you just want to grab a muffin for breakfast or get a snack or a quick lunch.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Beyond Sushi sounds awesome! I have a pretty amazing sushi place in my hometown in Norfolk, Virginia that has a rad vegan menu (Kotobuki if you're ever there!), so I wonder how much will be new to me, but I'm always up for vegan sushi.

Turns out I'll be staying in the LES for the first half of my week there, but need to find another place to stay for the second half. Do you guys have recs for other good neighborhoods to check out? I could always just find a different place to rent for the second half of the week in the LES, but since I'm looking I might as well consider other neighborhoods too.

This short list is getting long. Does Champs only do brunch on the weekend? I'll likely be getting in on the Chinatown bus early in the morning on Sunday morning.