| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Visiting in July - Need a food shortlist
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:20 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Seriously, stay in Brooklyn. There's so much good stuff over there, and I feel like tons of people write it off in order to stay in *jazz hands* MANHATTAN *jazz hands*. It really doesn't take that much effort to get into the city from Brooklyn.

Champs does breakfast on the daily, which is basically there brunch fare (as I understand it).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:40 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Sweet! Yeah, I might stay in Brooklyn depending on the rates. I just want proximity to awesomeness.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:36 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

pickledtreats wrote:
I'll be staying in the lower east side. Any tips for yummy stuff near there in case I'm feeling lazy? I'm searching Yelp and found a place called Pala selling pizza that reviewers say has a full vegan menu in addition to its regular menu. That could be interesting.

Pala's pizza is delicious! They do have a full vegan menu, and the place is a nice, sit down restaurant. Babycakes is on the LES, although I think their baked goods are pretty meh. Lulas is LES as well. There's also atlas, but they're not so great and I think I saw a post that they're closing?
There is an italian place called john's of 12th street that has a full vegan menu, they are pretty good and provide an old-school-italian-place-in-ny experience.

The all the time menu at champs has all the brunch/breakfast items on it, so you can get their "brunch" food at 11 on a saturday morning, or 9pm on a tuesday.
Stay in Brooklyn for the second part of your stay! You can find something on air b&b or homeaway no problem I'm sure. You won't have a problem getting into Manhattan to do/see whatever you'd like.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:54 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

heatherkelly wrote:
Zen Palate - sadly, the very central union sq location closed a long time ago, but there is another one up in the 40s, around the theater district.

there is a Zen Palate in that neighborhood again - it opened on 18th st between Park Av & Irving Pl a few years ago. they have some good stuff, but i wouldn't say it's essential dining, especially with so many other amazing options around.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:38 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'll be going to NYC soon and on my definite revisit list is Red Bamboo, Beyond Sushi, Cinnamon Snail, John's of 12th Street, Dirt Candy, the Blossoms and the Candles.

My friend wants to find good bagels, anywhere worth trying in midtown or downtown?

And has anywhere new opened in the past 6 months? I'm really missing Supervegan for all the latest info.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:23 am 
Semen Strong

I think you mentioned in another thread that you might be here at the end of April? If you're around go to the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale at Mooshoes - its so nice to be around other vegans. And definitely set up a PPK meet-up - it would be great to meet you!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
I think you mentioned in another thread that you might be here at the end of April? If you're around go to the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale at Mooshoes - its so nice to be around other vegans. And definitely set up a PPK meet-up - it would be great to meet you!

Dude. I totally wish I was going to be in NYC at the end of April, but I'll actually be in London at that time. Another awesome food city, but not close enough for a meet up with you! :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:58 pm 
Semen Strong

I was responding to Rentaghost :) When you're here, you should totally do a meet-up too!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Haha! Oops!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:22 pm 
Semen Strong

But we should totally do a meet-up when you're here! I feel like I've followed your story for such a long time, and it would be lovely to meet you and your love.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:14 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

The Moo Shoes bake sale is already in my diary Tofulish! Are you going to be there!

My friend and I are also excited that the next NY Vegan Drinks falls during our trip! Does anyone else from PPK ever go?

And does anyone know if Atlas Cafe has reopened?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:18 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
But we should totally do a meet-up when you're here! I feel like I've followed your story for such a long time, and it would be lovely to meet you and your love.

I would be so honored to meet up with some NY PPKers while I'm there. Once we get closer, we should see who's interested.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks for starting this thread, pickledtreats. It's been really helpful to my planning!

Does anyone have recommendations for soul food or Latin food? I'll be based in LES but I'm willing to travel for these. My main goal in NYC is to eat all the foods, so I can work my other plans around that.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:57 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

rachell37 wrote:
Does anyone have recommendations for soul food or Latin food? I'll be based in LES but I'm willing to travel for these. My main goal in NYC is to eat all the foods, so I can work my other plans around that.

Seasoned Vegan in Harlem seems to be open now.

for Latin food, there's V-Spot in Brooklyn, which i've heard mixed things about. there's also a Mexican place not far from Houston St (i think) with some vegan-friendly options, but the name is escaping me.
ETA: there's Mexican Radio in that general area, but i'm not 100% sure that's the one i'm thinking of.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

Last edited by EmperorTomatoKetchup on Thu May 01, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:07 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i used to love Benny's Burritos pre-vegan, and have heard that they now have vegan cheese and other options (and they have always been pretty customizable) but i also know that the different locations have different owners and i would investigate to find out if one is better than the other vegan-wise, i didn't make it there when i was in NY.

(ps the moo shoes bake sale i went to a few years ago was great!)