| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help! I'm moving to New York, need advice on where to live
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:01 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I got a job offer for a great position in Long Island near Valley Stream, but I want to live ~30 minutes driving towards the city as I will be bringing a car to fulfill part of my work obligations. The other people working at the job live as far as Park Slope, Astoria, even some in Manhattan. My friends up there want me to move closer in near Williamsburg but it looks like that will make the commute closer to 45-60 minutes depending on how bad the traffic is.

I'm looking for something quiet, green, with some decent eating options nearby. I'm eventually bringing my dog up and would like an area that's fairly nice to walk around outside. I'm pretty flexible on the cost of rent as most of what I'm seeing on CL isn't as bad as I thought it would be. When I look at the map, it looks like parts of Queens and the eastern edge of Brooklyn could make sense, but I know very little of the neighborhoods and what makes sense for a 30 year old single, vegan guy. Also, I don't know if people up there are as particular about meeting up with other people if they're not within a 15-20 minute train ride (I always felt like a lot of people in DC make a stink about any ride to meet a friend that isn't within 15 minutes walking/biking, which is silly because DC is so small).

Here's what I'm seeing on the map: https://flic.kr/p/ne8rVp

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Help! I'm moving to New York, need advice on where to li
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:55 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

congrats! i'm not a lot of help, but honestly going anywhere or doing anything a 15-20 minute train ride away is basically non existent unless you live in manhattan and everyone else you know lives in manhattan and you only go places in manhattan. i live in astoria and i usually plan 45 minutes to an hour to get anywhere since that's just the reality of it. if you're working on long island it would make sense to live in queens, but if your friends and in williamsburg and you have a car, maybe it would make sense to live near them.

is there anyway you can come here and actually test out the drive from various areas during rush hour? that might help you make up your mind.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:11 pm 

I gotta go back next week and look at apts. I think I'm focusing around Ridgewood, Forest Hills, and Bushwick for proximity to work. I'd certainly be willing to travel to meet friends and maybe I just have to sacrifice being a little out from all the good, fun stuff and places to eat in order to have a better QOL. The subway trips to my friends' neighborhoods look to be only around 15-20 minutes on google maps from those areas.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:16 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

those neighborhoods sound like they'd be good for getting to long island. if you have a lot of friends in brooklyn and you'd prefer to take the subway and not drive, forest hills might not be the best neighborhood for you, but it's a nice neighborhood with cheap enough rent. i think it's definitely worth it to live a little further out to have a better apartment, cheaper rent and a more quiet neighborhood.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:06 pm 

Do you know anything about Crown heights or the area near the Nostrand Ave LIRR station in Crown Heights? The commute by train from there is only 25 minutes to work and may be great whenever I need to avoid the roads.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:19 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My parents have a TINY apartment for rent in Queens, but they probably would not be ok with the dog, because it really is tiny...are you planning on commuting to work by train or by car?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:53 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Crown Heights isn't especially green, and parking will be something of a nightmare if you need a car. It's got a lot of cool architecture, and it's not so far from Prospect Park. There's a lot of money being poured in, so it's getting expensive and people are being displaced. But you can probably get a decent cup of coffee now, so I'm sure that's all worthwhile. Similar story for Bey-Stuy, which is on the north side of the Nostrand Ave LIRR station.

It's probably a good choice given your criteria...except for the car thing.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:41 am 

Thanks for the tips so far, everyone!

The other region I'm looking at appears to have a better driving commute, but would require some transfers for train rides, right around here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/187+S ... 12082e0691

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:48 pm 
Inflexitarian

I would definitely try Ridgewood, and look for the part on the Queens side vs the Brooklyn side, will be cheaper and slightly closer for your commute. I think you'd be able to find street parking there too. It's close to the L train also for a 20 min or so ride to Manhattan.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:57 pm 

Thanks for the tip, JillW! I'm going up to look at places to rent on Monday night through Thursday, so I hope to secure a spot then. Work starts June 16th and I have vacation planned before then, so I've got to get this going.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:48 am 
Nailed to the V

camuscando, where'd you move?! How's it going?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:07 am 

I got a sublet until the end of August in Ridgewood, Queens. Next month I need to search for something more permanent that accepts dogs. I might try to stay where I'm at near the myrtle-wyckoff station. Commute is only 30 mins from here and so far everything is working out fine :-)