| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Official Catchall New York City Thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:55 pm 
Joking!

What's sheese?? What's it made of? Blue cheese flavor sounds exciting. Do they have a fake feta? Is it worth betraying Daiya for the cheddar? I'm in love with Daiya cheddar for it's tastiness and also non-soyness, but blue cheese, I haven't had that since before I was vegan and it would be nice on salad.

Also, zoetrope, I love your work and the taco/nacho pattern is my favorite!!! I want to be a taco for Halloween, but I don't know if I'll have the time or money to make the costume.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:47 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Since we're talking about fake cheesey things:

I know some people were wondering where to get Wayfare We Can't Say It's Cheese products. I saw 'em at Lifethyme (on 6th ave? is that where I was at? Next to the C.O. Bigelow w/e store). But pricey pricey at $5 a pop. Anyone seen it cheaper?

And on that note: I've just realized that the "rock" my roommate thought she found on the kitchen counter must have been the last bit of Dr. Cow's aged cashew blue I left out last night! Oh no!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:52 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

ijustdiedinside wrote:
TheChickpea wrote:
Ijdi--I've never been a regular on the boards, but I've been lurking and posting sporadically since 2006. I forget my PW and so changed my username a lot. Before this it was always some form of Amber, like Amb3rr or something like that. I think we talked once and I told you that I'm studying economics and african history. Who knows. You haven't been to any CSAP (columbia students for animal protection) meetings have you? We have grad students who drop by on occasion.

oh cool! yeah, i think we have talked before. I'm getting a masters in nutrition at TC and no I've never been to any meetings at columbia. I don't really have time for that much extracurricular stuff. Have you had dosas from the dosa cart on broadway and 116th ish. I was super excited about it, but then it was so greasy I could barely eat it. Sad.

oh! and something exciting is that they have cheezly at Health Nuts (i think that's the name) on broadway and 98th (ish).

Ditto on it being strange that the masters in nutrition is at TC.
I have been wanting to try those dosas, but I never have any cash for street carts. I really need to switch to a bank that exists near campus, or you know, in NYC. I haven't even tried the Wash square dosa cart yet, I feel so behind.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:02 am 
Joking!

TheChickpea wrote:
I have been wanting to try those dosas, but I never have any cash for street carts. I really need to switch to a bank that exists near campus, or you know, in NYC. I haven't even tried the Wash square dosa cart yet, I feel so behind.

Washington Square dosa cart? ...ugh, I really do hardly ever go to Manhattan, not a whole lot of large spans of free time....and when I do as far as I usually go is the Bowery/Village for foods/groceries.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:04 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Adah wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
TheChickpea wrote:
Ijdi--I've never been a regular on the boards, but I've been lurking and posting sporadically since 2006. I forget my PW and so changed my username a lot. Before this it was always some form of Amber, like Amb3rr or something like that. I think we talked once and I told you that I'm studying economics and african history. Who knows. You haven't been to any CSAP (columbia students for animal protection) meetings have you? We have grad students who drop by on occasion.

oh cool! yeah, i think we have talked before. I'm getting a masters in nutrition at TC and no I've never been to any meetings at columbia. I don't really have time for that much extracurricular stuff. Have you had dosas from the dosa cart on broadway and 116th ish. I was super excited about it, but then it was so greasy I could barely eat it. Sad.

oh! and something exciting is that they have cheezly at Health Nuts (i think that's the name) on broadway and 98th (ish).

Why is the masters in nutrition in the TC? That seems odd to me.

I guess it's because a large part of nutrition is nutrition education. you have to help/teach people how to eat better, even if they are really sick you still have use educational tools to help them. you can't just prescribe certain diets and have that be all you do. Also, TC has a lot of programs that aren't strictly teaching degrees. There's a nursing program there, too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:06 pm 
FAYGO

My Zoetrope wrote:
No need to hate on Terri! To each their own!

That being said; Terri is super-amazing, and I love their Buffalo Chicken sandwich and the Chickpea Tuna Melt the best. And it's only $8 for a (big) sandwich, not $10-20. Everyone is super-friendly and nice there and it is a great lunch spot in that area that is seriously lacking in some good vegan food (I used to work down the street from there). Ohh, and don't get me started on the deliciousness of their shakes...

I love Terri too. I really liked the chickpea tuna melt, but it just tasted like a great chickpea sandwich, not so tuna-like (good thing!). I also like the bacon cheddar chicken ranch. And the tofu scramble wrap. And their soups. Like others have said, it's so hard to find a good vegan place above 14th Street that I think it's important to support them whenever we can. Also, Terri's been really awesome about donating baked goods to charity bake sales (speaking of baked goods: HOLYCRAPAPPLECIDERDONUT).

Full disclosure: I may have a bit of a bias because a PPKer works there and she's highly awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:15 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I went to Terri once, I work(ed) in that area, and I was also unimpressed with what I got, for how expensive it was.
Maybe I'm just greedy and expect more foooood.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:09 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My Zoetrope wrote:
Oh yeah, have you guys seen that they are selling Sheese at the Union Square Whole Foods now? The cheddar and the blue sheese. Woo! Also, my poor wallet!

Sweet! Thanks for the tip. I've been waiting all summer to order some online, but it never occurred to me something this wondrous could happen. Sheese is the only non-dairy cheese I've ever loved. I gotta head over there right now!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:12 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I just got back from NYC and ate and ate and walked and walked. To chime in on the Terri discussion---I loved it--the Thanksgiving sandwich and a butterfinger shake were both fantastic! So good. It was a great place to get a quick lunch in that part of town.
Other eats: chocolates at Cocoa V, seitan sandwich at Café Blossom, ice cream at both Stogo and Lula's, vegan tasting menu at Dovetail (they do this now on Monday nights. It's pricey but very fancy and tasty), Maoz falafel, lots of tastiness at Pukk, Absolute bagel with herbed Tofutti, Indian food at a veggie taxi driver stand in Chelsea. A lovely meal at Angelica. It was all very good. I had one bad brunch--at Earthmatters- pretty gross, actually, though a cute shop. I never made it over to the east side to get to Hangawi or either Candle variation, but will do that and Brooklyn next time. Thank you NYC for being so delicious!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:23 pm 
FAYGO

The dosa cart is really good and relatively cheap. Mad love for it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:34 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

molasses jane wrote:
I just got back from NYC and ate and ate and walked and walked. To chime in on the Terri discussion---I loved it--the Thanksgiving sandwich and a butterfinger shake were both fantastic! So good. It was a great place to get a quick lunch in that part of town.
Other eats: chocolates at Cocoa V, seitan sandwich at Café Blossom, ice cream at both Stogo and Lula's, vegan tasting menu at Dovetail (they do this now on Monday nights. It's pricey but very fancy and tasty), Maoz falafel, lots of tastiness at Pukk, Absolute bagel with herbed Tofutti, Indian food at a veggie taxi driver stand in Chelsea. A lovely meal at Angelica. It was all very good. I had one bad brunch--at Earthmatters- pretty gross, actually, though a cute shop. I never made it over to the east side to get to Hangawi or either Candle variation, but will do that and Brooklyn next time. Thank you NYC for being so delicious!

Wow, you really got around! Now I'm hungry.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:08 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

molasses jane wrote:

Absolute bagel is the best! It's nice to hear you were in the Columbia/Morningside heights area. There's not much in the way of vegan options up here, but I LOVE Absolute something fierce.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:22 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

panda wrote:
What's sheese?? What's it made of? Blue cheese flavor sounds exciting. Do they have a fake feta? Is it worth betraying Daiya for the cheddar? I'm in love with Daiya cheddar for it's tastiness and also non-soyness, but blue cheese, I haven't had that since before I was vegan and it would be nice on salad.

Also, zoetrope, I love your work and the taco/nacho pattern is my favorite!!! I want to be a taco for Halloween, but I don't know if I'll have the time or money to make the costume.

Sheese is from Scotland, and it's a little pricier than Daiya. I only tried the Blue Cheese and I loved it. I liked it best cold on salads! It's worth trying it!
Also, thank you! You should totally be a taco for Halloween.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:48 pm 

Adah wrote:
molasses jane wrote:

Wow, you really got around! Now I'm hungry.

I know! It was the perfect fall break. I'm now on a no restaurant regime to make up for all of the glory in nyc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:51 pm 

TheChickpea wrote:
molasses jane wrote:

Absolute bagel is the best! It's nice to hear you were in the Columbia/Morningside heights area. There's not much in the way of vegan options up here, but I LOVE Absolute something fierce.

I agree! I think that these bagels are easily the best--H and H doesn't even compare. I love the UWS and the Columbia area--and with Peacefood and Café Blossom (which are admittedly south of Morningside Heights, but not too far), the area is much more vegan friendly than it used to be. And there's a vegan friendly pizza place at 97th and Amsterdam that we were too full to try, but will next time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:32 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

molasses jane wrote:
TheChickpea wrote:
molasses jane wrote:

I agree! I think that these bagels are easily the best--H and H doesn't even compare. I love the UWS and the Columbia area--and with Peacefood and Café Blossom (which are admittedly south of Morningside Heights, but not too far), the area is much more vegan friendly than it used to be. And there's a vegan friendly pizza place at 97th and Amsterdam that we were too full to try, but will next time.

I still haven't been to Peacefood! I live way closer to Harlem now, but I use to live right around Absolute; it was glorious. The pizza place you're talking about is Cafe Viva right? I love their vegan calzone and the Santa Rosa pizza. Mmm.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:41 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Three words. SOY AND SAKE. And then Lula's!!!! LOVE NY!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:50 pm 
Joking!

They have cider donuts at Terri? Alright maybe I'll go tomorrow and have one and I've been craving a thanksgiving sandwich for a while from a restaurant that is like 180 miles away so maybe I'll get that too. I have to run around looking for halloween costume stuff. I went to American Apparel (blargh) today and found nothing, did their clothes get smaller? I'll either be a taco or a cupcake, depends on what I find.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:16 am 
Joking!

I luuuuurrrve Peacefood. If it was cheaper I'd totally haul asparagus up there all the time to eat there more often. And vegan calzone??? What the what? What's it made of? Please tell me it's Daiya or some other non-soy form of cheese. pleeease.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:23 am 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

I've only been to Peacefood once but I remember it was good. I got some sort of avocado sandwich, can't go wrong with that.

Any suggestions on what else is good there?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:34 am 
FAYGO

This isn't related to Peacefood, but ZPizza does a pretty damn good vegan calzone using Daiya.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:52 pm 
Joking!

Adah wrote:
I've only been to Peacefood once but I remember it was good. I got some sort of avocado sandwich, can't go wrong with that.

Any suggestions on what else is good there?

everything pretty much. My boyfriend got the pizza there and he liked it, but I wasn't so impressed with that, I think everything else is better. Tempeh stuff is good. I like all the sandwiches. Chickpea fries. Dumplings. There really isn't anything bad on the menu, not that I can tell.

I didn't make it to Terri today, stuck around soho halloween shopping and spent too much money and then with the rain and the fact that I have so much work to do at home, just headed back to Brooklyn. Oh well. Maybe when we're in Manhattan for halloween parties we'll shoot up there and try out the Thanksgiving sandwich and cider donuts.

I tried getting foam for a taco costume but couldn't find any...wish there was a JoAnn's here. I got stuff for a cupcake and then when i went to American Apparel for the bottoms I saw that they had a sweater vest that kind of looked like a taco shell!!! But by then I had spent $40 on fabric, pompoms, felt and a shirt for a cupcake costume and I can't return the fabric. Ugh. It totally sucks too that my sewing machine's bobbin is all screwy, taco would have been easier to make by hand. I'm actually thinking of taking my fabric and shirt to the tailor around the corner to see if I pinned and taped it all what it would cost for them to just throw it on their machine and sew it up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:00 pm 
Joking!

SeitanSaidDance wrote:
This isn't related to Peacefood, but ZPizza does a pretty damn good vegan calzone using Daiya.

where's zpizza? the one on bleecker? daiya calzone would be awesome, can't handle soy cheese or much of soy anything.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:12 pm 
FAYGO

Yup, Bleecker. They put a bunch of vegetables in it, too. It was my first calzone since going vegan and I was happy enough with it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:06 pm 

I like Terri, only been twice but both times were good. I'm cheap too and rarely eat out lately. Well, if I had a regular income I wouldn't be so cheap. But I had a friend in town this week and we hit Teany, which I haven't been to in several years, 5 or more. I remember thinking it was overpriced and not impressive, but figured if they were still around maybe they worked some things out. And actually it was good. A bit overpriced but maybe the same range as Terri, and nicer atmosphere. Great tea. Also I live pretty near Lula's (yay cones) so holler if you're going. Peacefood I haven't tried yet.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next