| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Waxing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:26 am 
FAYGO

When I first went vegan, I asked the salon I go to if their wax had beeswax in it and they said no, but the more I read about waxes, the more I think they had no idea what I was talking about and just gave me the answer I wanted to hear. It seems like vegan waxes are limited to specialty places, which mine isn't. I just called them to confirm and all they'd tell me is that they have many wax, wax very good, they give me wax I need just come in. I've been a regular customer there for years, so I feel really awkward about walking in, asking to read the wax containers and walking out if they're not vegan.

So I guess this is a two question post:

1. Are vegan waxes really as rare as I think?
2. Where do you get waxed in NYC?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Waxing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:40 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm not in NYC, so I can't help you there, but I have looked up a bunch of different brands of hard wax, if that's the kind of wax you're asking about. The ladies at my salon don't really have enough English to understand when I asked them about this, so I started looking up various hard wax ingredients online. For general brands, it looked to me like the chance of getting vegan wax was slightly better than 50% as long as your salon isn't a.) really high-end and/or b.) touting "all natural" products (which usually have beeswax).

That's for ingredients, though. I couldn't find any information about animal testing.

Post subject: Re: Waxing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:12 am 
Member type 4

I have no idea about vegan waxing (I have this personal vendetta against bees after a broken tailbone incident), but I get my lady bits waxed at Salon Ziba. My job offers $60 for $100 gift cards there. They're fancy pants, though, and do a fabulous job.