| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Non Touristy things to do
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:18 pm 
Chip Strong

I have been to NYC many many times; have done most of the 'touristy' things: plays (on and off), museums, neighborhood walks, boat cruises etc; Going again in March for 4 nights and find myself slightly stuck on what to do.
want something different, ya know?

any ideas?
what do folks who live there do or what would you recommend to friends visiting who want to avoid the tourist traps?
thanks

Post subject: Re: Non Touristy things to do
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:49 pm 
FAYGO

We eat? And we spend a lot of time having the following conversation:

What do you want to do?
I don't know, what do you want to do?
There's nothing to do.
This is forking New York, there has to be something to do!
OK, so what do you want to do?

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

What about cemeteries? Greenwood and the one in Lower Manhattan are supposed to be nice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:53 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

see if any bands you like are playing in the area. http://www.ohmyrockness.com/ is not a bad place to start.

i don't think of neighborhood walks as being particularly touristy. i've lived near NYC most of my life, and i've never gotten sick of wandering around LES/Chinatown/the Village. go back to a neighborhood you liked and see how things have changed since you were last there. or find one you've never been to before, and bring a camera. i dunno where you have and haven't been, but Vinegar Hill is a cool little alcove of Brooklyn just east of the Manhattan Bridge. it's particularly nice if you're a fan of run-down buildings and other urban decay like i am.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:04 pm 
Member type 4

SeitanSaidDance wrote:
What do you want to do?
There's nothing to do.
This is forking New York, there has to be something to do!
OK, so what do you want to do?

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

This. All the way. All of the damn time.

When it's warmer I usually just walk around, go across a bridge, nap in the park, eat in the park, eat on the way to the park, eat while walking across the bridge, walk across the bridge to get some great food...

eat. nap. walk. get forked up. repeat.

oh, going to work happens in there someplace. I am SO not helpful... do that ohmyrockness.com thing. That site is the tits.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:07 pm 
Chip Strong

eat. nap. walk. get forked up. repeat

that sounds like a plan!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:11 pm 
FAYGO

If you like walking, I suggest starting at the top of Broadway and following it all the way down to Battery Park. You'll probably see some neighborhoods you've never seen before, and if you time it right, you can see the sun set behind the Statue of Liberty, all purtylike.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:48 pm 
Member type 4

Speaking of walking, I walk around the UES/Central Pk north every day during my lunch break. I swear, people are feeding their dogs other people. The size of the shiitake up here defies all logic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:49 pm 
Member type 4

Once again, I am so not helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:44 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

greenwood cemetary!the highest point in brooklyn(which actually isn't,the real one is slightly behind it)is there,too

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:51 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah I think people who live in NYC are too busy working to do much but be stressed out, then go have a good meal and get drunk in bars to fix it.

As mentioned, hanging out in parks is another big one. Biking on the waterfront bike paths is great too (you can rent one).

Also dancing in clubs... rhythmism is a good place to find events if you're into that. (but don't bother posting in the other forums - way too many trolls)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:39 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Aubade wrote:
Yeah I think people who live in NYC are too busy working to do much but be stressed out, then go have a good meal and get drunk in bars to fix it.

that's pretty much how i felt when i lived there.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:58 am 
FAYGO

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
Aubade wrote:

I couldn't disagree more. It's just hard to tell a person what to do when you're not familiar with their interests or know what will be going on when they'll be here.

As your trip gets closer, you might want to check out SuperVegan and see if there are any events happening. Farm Sanctuary, Sea Shepherd and other groups sometimes host movie screenings, concerts and other things as fundraisers that you might want to look into too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:47 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I am the opposite, I have never been to any of the touristy places and I feel like I should. I just roam the streets and ask bar tenders for places to go. It always works. My favorite bar was a random suggestion from a guy who over heard me saying I like Jukeboxes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:57 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

SeitanSaidDance wrote:
EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
Aubade wrote:

I couldn't disagree more.

OK, I was only half serious. I did feel like that a lot when I lived there though. I mean, you're right, it is a great city with tons to do, but I was always too busy working to make ends meet & further my career to do any of it. I know a lot of my friends are always stressed too, and then there's studies like this. Of course, none of that is helpful to the OP!

Most of the things I love about NYC happen in the summer too (free concerts, parades, central park roller skating, outdoor movies, summer stage, etc) so that's no help in March either.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:01 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

when i first moved here I did a lot, but ultimately, I'm just a homebody and I'm really busy with school so I hardly ever go out anymore, especially in the winter!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:18 pm 
Member type 4

If you like to dance, I love Home Sweet Home on Fridays (Shakin' w/ Jonathan Toubin) -- he spins 50s/60s 45s all night. Wednesday there is cool, it's their dark wave night. Lit Lounge is usually a silly good time, though it can get annoying there. People watching is supreme at both places.

http://www.newyorknighttrain.com/ <---- shakin', shake shake shake

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:09 pm 

SeitanSaidDance wrote:
If you like walking, I suggest starting at the top of Broadway and following it all the way down to Battery Park. You'll probably see some neighborhoods you've never seen before, and if you time it right, you can see the sun set behind the Statue of Liberty, all purtylike.

Where do I need to be to see this?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:35 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

i like to sit on my fire escape thursday-sunday nights anywhere between 11pm and 5:30am and watch people from any of the 4+ bars below my building or the new 'champagne bar' and night club across the street do stupid/drunk things and yell and get into fights.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:13 am 

rachaelrayfornever wrote:
i like to sit on my fire escape thursday-sunday nights anywhere between 11pm and 5:30am and watch people from any of the 4+ bars below my building or the new 'champagne bar' and night club across the street do stupid/drunk things and yell and get into fights.

I have 3 different building I want to live in IF I ever move to NYC and all are based solely on the awesome fire escape views!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:58 am 

A lot of real New Yorkers don't live in Manhattan, so try exploring Queens and Staten Island and the Bronx! Brooklyn doesn't really count, since it's like an extension of Manhattan these days, oh so hip and special.

As a Queens resident, one of my favorite things to do is go for walks at the Jamaica Wildlife Refuge.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:20 am 
FAYGO

Puma wrote:
SeitanSaidDance wrote:

Where do I need to be to see this?

You can see it from almost anywhere in Battery Park if you're by the water.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:32 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I like to go to Thompkins Square Park with some drinks and sit by the dog park. I love the combo of dog watching and people watching together. Lots of really nice dogs playing together and interesting looking people. You overhear lots of interesting conversations. The park itself is a really pretty fenced NewYork style park and there's lots in that nieghborhood if you feel like getting up and taking a wonder after a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:48 pm 
Member type 4

Angelina wrote:
Brooklyn doesn't really count, since it's like an extension of Manhattan these days, oh so hip and special.

Gee. That sure is... something.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:49 pm 
FAYGO

Oh! Ride the Staten Island Ferry. It's free and the view is nice and you don't have to actually enter Staten Island to come back.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:11 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Angelina wrote:
A lot of real New Yorkers don't live in Manhattan, so try exploring Queens and Staten Island and the Bronx! Brooklyn doesn't really count, since it's like an extension of Manhattan these days, oh so hip and special.

yeah,manhattan is a shiitake hole,why would anybody ever want to come here ever?!