| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Theater District- anything for dining with family?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:57 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm visiting NY this May on a family day trip to see Lion King, which is at Minskoff Theatre, 200 W. 45th St. If it was just my parents/sister I'd have an easier time deciding on a place to eat, since they're totally cool with going to vegan-friendly/international type places. But this trip is with a bunch of aunts and cousins who have, um, unsophisticated tastes in food. So anything like Indian, Middle Eastern, Sushi is out. One of the cousins literally never eats vegetables and only eats carbs and meat, but nothing "weird" or "fancy" (I don't know how she isn't dead yet). I'm willing to suck it up and eat a shitty salad for dinner, but I'd like to hopefully find a place where I can get more than that, or at least a place where salad =/= wilty iceberg and a sad tomato slice. Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Theater District- anything for dining with family?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:58 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'd probably just go to an Italian place, of which there are many, and then at least you'll have spaghetti with marinara and salad, which is better than just a wilty salad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:05 am 
FAYGO

How fancy do you need to be? LPQ indicates vegan options on the menu and is just a few blocks away: http://www.lepainquotidien.us/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:11 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I love LPQ, but sadly I think that would seriously be pushing the "fancy" boundary for some of the relatives. I know the meaty-carby cousin would not be happy there. I need not fancy but not totally shitty either. Maybe an Italian place is the best bet. I'll be lucky if I can persuade them to go to a real Italian place and not Olive Garden...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:10 am 
Inflexitarian

I feel like saying y'all should drive back to Philly and eat there, but that would be so snarky. But seriously, they'd come see a show and want to eat in a place like Olive Garden?

Is there any type of food they enjoy which would make this a nice trip for them? crepe, I have nothing positive to offer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:27 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm probably being unfair to most of them, who will be totally fine with eating in a non-Olive-Garden Italian place (although I'd bet that's where they'd end up if they were planning the trip. They're just not very adventurous eaters). It's really just the one cousin who is a real pain in the asparagus but I've decided she can suck it. Her and her two brothers requested hamburgers at my sister's wedding, and when they were told that wasn't an option, they BROUGHT MCDONALDS to her wedding because they didn't want to eat the forking chicken cordon bleu or whatever it was- that's the level of ridiculousness I'm dealing with.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:31 am 
FAYGO

Wow.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:13 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yup. Ah, family.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:28 pm 
Inflexitarian

no offense to you personally, but your extended family and their ilk are ruining NYC. But that's not new, and it's not really relevant to your dilemma. You have all my sympathy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:54 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

JillW wrote:
no offense to you personally, but your extended family and their ilk are ruining NYC. But that's not new, and it's not really relevant to your dilemma. You have all my sympathy.

Haha, thanks. I know...people like this are ruining EVERYWHERE. It's pissing me off how many shitty chain restaurants I'm finding in my search for possible places to go. Like why bother going to a different city to eat at the same damn restaurant that you can eat at home in SuburbHell, VA? I've found a couple of Italian places that look promising, assuming the bratty cousin is cool with pizza that isn't from Pizza Hut.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:02 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

How about taking a bit of a walk to Home on 8th? It's not much further down, and has the best of both worlds--- accomodations for your picky family, provided they like chinese, and you can enjoy a full vegan meal.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:04 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

fauxfrancais wrote:
How about taking a bit of a walk to Home on 8th? It's not much further down, and has the best of both worlds--- accomodations for your picky family, provided they like chinese, and you can enjoy a full vegan meal.

oh yeah, that's a good point! especially in may that will be a really nice walk. i ate here last night before seeing a play on 46th and 7th.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:18 am 
Naked Under Apron

HB Burger on 43rd has a really good veggie burger, and seems like the type of place your family might like.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:54 pm 
Tofu Pup

heartland brewery is an option. i went there with my parents expecting the worst, but even though every. single. one. of their salads has meat on it, they do have a pretty decent multi-bean chili (lentils!) than you can get a bowl of or served over nachos. i did the nachos, just gotta say no cheese/sour cream. mine unfortunately came out covered in cheese so they redid them.

plus, you can drink a whole bunch!

and it's a chain so maybe your obnoxious cousins will appreciate that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:18 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks for the suggestions! I was looking at the website of heartland brewery, thinking "well, at least I can get a beer" but was scared off by the meaty salads. Home on 8th is a great location too, right near where we have to get the bus home...hmmm...I asked my mom what she thought about going to an Italian place, and she basically said that sounded good and the picky cousin will just have to deal. If she complains I'll just point her in the direction of McDonalds and tell her to meet us later.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:38 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ruby Tuesday has a salad bar with proteiny things like edamame, sunflower seeds and chickpeas. It's for the desperate, but it's enough of a chain to satisfy and they have fries too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:11 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Haha, Ruby Tuesday. Yeah, that was on my shortlist. But we're going shopping at some outlet stores in Lancaster the day after we go to NY, and I have to save Ruby Tuesday for that trip since the only other options are Bob Evans or Cracker Barrel. I've never eaten at Bob Evans, but I did go with them to Cracker Barrel on one of these excursions before and had the WORST meal I've ever eaten. As in iceburg lettuce, sad tomato and cucumber slices with oil and vinegar since all the dressings were dairy. Dry as hell baked potato sprinkled with salt and pepper. They can't even make hot tea properly there- they just gave me a teabag and a little pitcher of lukewarm water. Sad. Ruby Tuesday is vegan paradise by comparison- the salad bar is pretty decent and they know how to cook baked potatoes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:49 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I've been to Bob Evans once. The best I was able to do was pasta with tomatoes and spinach. The pasta had been cooked until it was total mush, and there was no seasoning at all, not even garlic. The spinach and tomatoes were fresh, not canned or frozen, though, which is pretty much the best thing I can say about it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:21 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Is the weird cousin and adult? cause I say ditch them!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:53 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yeah, she's an adult, sort of. She's 26 or something. Her two older brothers still live at home and show no signs of ever leaving. She's the only one who managed to actually move out, and that wasn't until a year ago. They're all a little weird. I've been trying to be nice about finding a place where everyone will be happy because I appreciate when people do that for me instead of just deciding we're going to a steakhouse and I can just deal. But there's a difference between being vegan (and otherwise extremely un-picky, I'll eat anything as long as it's vegan!) and being super picky picky and narrowminded for no good reason.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:42 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

We go to Carmine's on 44th occasionally for work stuff, and eating with co-workers presents similar challenges. It might be a good option for your family. The marinara sauce is surprisingly good, and they have boring stuff for those who object to variety. You'll want to get reservations, though, and it's a little pricey, but not as pricey as the menu suggests--the dishes are gigantic and meant to be shared.

It's a step up from the friggin' Olive Garden, at least, which for some reason always has a giant line, and whose existence I resent.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:29 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Cool. Carmine's is on my little list of possible Italian places, so it's nice to know at least they have good sauce.