| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: NY Times: The best veggie burgers in Manhattan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:51 pm 
Naked Under Apron
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:03 pm
Posts: 1711
Location: Central PA
The article is pretty good, and I haven't tried a lot of the ones mentioned. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/23/dinin ... ref=dining I wish it said which ones were vegan, though -- it mentions eggs in one, and a few others have cheese or mayo as condiments, but it mostly doesn't say.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NY Times: The best veggie burgers in Manhattan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:47 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:25 pm
Posts: 1186
"Some new veggie burgers are so authentic that they've been mistaken for meat."

I hate this. I don't eat veggie burgers because they replicate meat. Not that I'm against meat analogues, but most good veggie burgers aren't meat-like at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NY Times: The best veggie burgers in Manhattan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:51 am 
So Totally Yiffy
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:26 pm
Posts: 44
Wish they would have specified which burgers were vegan.

I'm fine with the veggie burger concept now and then, and I think they chose some interesting-and-not-obvious contenders.

My favorite guilty pleasure is the Seitan Quarter Pounder at V-Note. It's the only thing I really like there. Sometimes you just want one.

But I do prefer veggie patties that are lentil or bean-based that are their own delicious thing, and not some type of mock-wich. All depends on preference...the more veggie coverage the better, I say!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NY Times: The best veggie burgers in Manhattan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:42 pm 
Saggy Butt
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:30 am
Posts: 280
Location: Astoria, NY
ha, i just came here to post this same article. the photo of the westville burger looks so delicious... i really hope it's vegan. and i think they're trying to make the five napkin burger one sound all messy and terrible, but that description actually sounds really good to me. beets! there's a five napkin near me in astoria... maybe i'll check it out if i can figure out all the ingredients.

_________________
I have too many blogs.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: NY Times: The best veggie burgers in Manhattan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:16 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 6144
Location: Boston, MA
I really liked this article; a 5 Napkins Burger just opened in Boston--do any of your know if it's vegan?

_________________
I would eat Dr. Cow pocket cheese in a second. I would eat it if you hid it under your hat, or in your backpack, but not if it was in your shoe. That's where I draw the line. -allularpunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NY Times: The best veggie burgers in Manhattan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:19 am 
Chard Martyr
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 9952
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
RavenMcCoy wrote:
ha, i just came here to post this same article. the photo of the westville burger looks so delicious... i really hope it's vegan. and i think they're trying to make the five napkin burger one sound all messy and terrible, but that description actually sounds really good to me. beets! there's a five napkin near me in astoria... maybe i'll check it out if i can figure out all the ingredients.


hey yeah, if you find out that 5 napkin veggie burger is vegan let me know! we walk by the astoria one every week on the way to pick up our CSA!

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: NY Times: The best veggie burgers in Manhattan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:30 pm 
Saggy Butt
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:30 am
Posts: 280
Location: Astoria, NY
ijustdiedinside wrote:
RavenMcCoy wrote:
ha, i just came here to post this same article. the photo of the westville burger looks so delicious... i really hope it's vegan. and i think they're trying to make the five napkin burger one sound all messy and terrible, but that description actually sounds really good to me. beets! there's a five napkin near me in astoria... maybe i'll check it out if i can figure out all the ingredients.


hey yeah, if you find out that 5 napkin veggie burger is vegan let me know! we walk by the astoria one every week on the way to pick up our CSA!


i did some more blog/review research and it looks like the patty is made with eggs. bummertown. :(

_________________
I have too many blogs.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: NY Times: The best veggie burgers in Manhattan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:20 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:25 pm
Posts: 1186
V-note has the best veggie burger in town: the soy bacon cheeseburger. The boy and I order it at least once a week now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NY Times: The best veggie burgers in Manhattan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:35 pm 
Chard Martyr
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 9952
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
RavenMcCoy wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
RavenMcCoy wrote:
ha, i just came here to post this same article. the photo of the westville burger looks so delicious... i really hope it's vegan. and i think they're trying to make the five napkin burger one sound all messy and terrible, but that description actually sounds really good to me. beets! there's a five napkin near me in astoria... maybe i'll check it out if i can figure out all the ingredients.


hey yeah, if you find out that 5 napkin veggie burger is vegan let me know! we walk by the astoria one every week on the way to pick up our CSA!


i did some more blog/review research and it looks like the patty is made with eggs. bummertown. :(


aw that is a bummer! there was a vegan veggie burger on 30th ave for a while at this place called zuzzie's, and they also had a bbq seitan sandwich, but they were only open for a few months. bummer.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer