| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NY Times: The best veggie burgers in Manhattan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:51 pm 
Naked Under Apron

The article is pretty good, and I haven't tried a lot of the ones mentioned. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/23/dinin ... ref=dining I wish it said which ones were vegan, though -- it mentions eggs in one, and a few others have cheese or mayo as condiments, but it mostly doesn't say.

Post subject: Re: NY Times: The best veggie burgers in Manhattan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:47 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

"Some new veggie burgers are so authentic that they've been mistaken for meat."

I hate this. I don't eat veggie burgers because they replicate meat. Not that I'm against meat analogues, but most good veggie burgers aren't meat-like at all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:51 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Wish they would have specified which burgers were vegan.

I'm fine with the veggie burger concept now and then, and I think they chose some interesting-and-not-obvious contenders.

My favorite guilty pleasure is the Seitan Quarter Pounder at V-Note. It's the only thing I really like there. Sometimes you just want one.

But I do prefer veggie patties that are lentil or bean-based that are their own delicious thing, and not some type of mock-wich. All depends on preference...the more veggie coverage the better, I say!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:42 pm 
Saggy Butt

ha, i just came here to post this same article. the photo of the westville burger looks so delicious... i really hope it's vegan. and i think they're trying to make the five napkin burger one sound all messy and terrible, but that description actually sounds really good to me. beets! there's a five napkin near me in astoria... maybe i'll check it out if i can figure out all the ingredients.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:16 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I really liked this article; a 5 Napkins Burger just opened in Boston--do any of your know if it's vegan?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:19 am 
Chard Martyr

RavenMcCoy wrote:
ha, i just came here to post this same article. the photo of the westville burger looks so delicious... i really hope it's vegan. and i think they're trying to make the five napkin burger one sound all messy and terrible, but that description actually sounds really good to me. beets! there's a five napkin near me in astoria... maybe i'll check it out if i can figure out all the ingredients.

hey yeah, if you find out that 5 napkin veggie burger is vegan let me know! we walk by the astoria one every week on the way to pick up our CSA!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

ijustdiedinside wrote:
RavenMcCoy wrote:

hey yeah, if you find out that 5 napkin veggie burger is vegan let me know! we walk by the astoria one every week on the way to pick up our CSA!

i did some more blog/review research and it looks like the patty is made with eggs. bummertown. :(

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:20 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

V-note has the best veggie burger in town: the soy bacon cheeseburger. The boy and I order it at least once a week now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:35 pm 
Chard Martyr

RavenMcCoy wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
RavenMcCoy wrote:

i did some more blog/review research and it looks like the patty is made with eggs. bummertown. :(

aw that is a bummer! there was a vegan veggie burger on 30th ave for a while at this place called zuzzie's, and they also had a bbq seitan sandwich, but they were only open for a few months. bummer.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]