| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 733, 734, 735, 736, 737
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:51 pm 
Total Hoover

Minatomachi wrote:
Yesterday, various kind people unintentionally made me feel stupid, inadequate and untalented.

During the night, I dreamed that a bunch of cruel people was very deliberately doing so.

I woke up with my self-esteem lying in pieces on the floor.

Oh no! Dreams can be such harsh things sometimes.

You are intelligent, much more than adequate and talented.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:58 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thank you Greenduck! I just received an email from a vegan bakery interested in my job application as a vendor, and feel much better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:03 pm 
Total Hoover

Minatomachi wrote:
Thank you Greenduck! I just received an email from a vegan bakery interested in my job application as a vendor, and feel much better.

Great! Good luck with the job.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My dad had to go to Accident and Emergency and he and my mum had to wait for hours for the basic thing he went in for to be even looked at (my mum apparently had to ask to speak to a manager before they would do this very basic thing that he quite urgently needed). Apparently they are so under-resourced that they have no beds so he's likely to spend the night in the corridor and my mum is so frazzled from the ongoing situation that she had to go home in the end to get some rest and leave him. I feel terrible that I can't be there, I was with him over the weekend but various circumstances made it so stressful I didn't get enough sleep at all and I had to leave because I live and work 80 miles away but I feel so guilty. The whole situation sucks.

I should be there to keep him company but I don't drive and the trains don't run again for another 5 hours. I tried phoning his mobile to see how he's doing but it's switched off so I guess they forgot to take it.

If anyone is reading this and you're of the good vibes sending persuasion we could really use some!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:06 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Sendin' the good vibes Dropscone. Sorry to hear about your dad and hope he doesn't have to stay in the hospital too long.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:45 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I send you good vibes too! Don't feel bad about not being able to be at the hospital all the time. If you tired yourself out, you'd be the next one sick.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:13 am 
BAD PASS

I'm currently in the process of putting out a major fire at work, and went to our head brewer/part owner of the company to confirm a couple of things I needed to know to be able to fix the mess (which he got us into by waiting until the very last possible minute to ship some beer out during a snow storm) and he spoke to me like I was a total idiot. He had no idea what I was talking about or the work that is going into fixing his mess, but just assumed that I am the dummy in the situation and talked to me as such. He basically gave me a "why don't you just [do the most obvious thing that I've already determined will not work because of reasons]" and walked away shaking his head. I'm kind of livid right now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:30 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

My team is getting absolutely hammered by UConn.
it's pure ugly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:27 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

It happened a couple of days ago, but at work the other day I was asked to do something (lay on a trolley on a spinal board with head blocks and be wheeled about) which brought back awful traumatic memories of an accident I had 13 years ago. I agreed beacuse thought I was all okay with it and it would be fine but apparently not. I completely freaked out about it and ended up in tears at work and felt forking awful all day and evening. Just thinking about it now is making me start to cry again.

The only good thing is that I spoke to some people in the company about it and they completely understand so I won't have to do it again; they were actually fantastic about it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:56 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry Imogen. That sounds really upsetting. Sending you many good thoughts <3

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:54 am 
Total Hoover

I hope the memories aren't intruding too much now, Imogen. That sounds like a terrible day.

I was thinking about you yesterday- I went to see the Cirque du Soleil with my mum. They had some breathtaking aerial fabrics sequences and I mentioned that I had met someone who does rigging for aerial performance. I'm so glad to live in a world where these skills exist.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yesterday after a long day driving around visiting family we decided to go home, get dinner (we were hungry!). About five minutes from home, we came across a standstill in traffic - apparently there was a collision that blocked the road. Sat in that for forty-five minutes. Finally, traffic started moving and we turned the engine on and...nothing. The lights came on, went "fsssss" and turned off. Traffic started moving, honking at us...nothing. So we called our breakdown, they said they'd be about an hour. We got out of the car and ran to the edge of the road. Then I realised since it was a dual carriage way and the car was stuck in the fast lane with no working hazard lights it was a danger so I called the police. Well, first time I used my husband's phone but it died halfway through the call. Then, I had to use my phone which barely works in the rain and it was pissing down. Ok, the police people said, we've got officers on the way.

Officers took twenty minutes to arrive, apparently this is because they're based in a different town and their shift only started at 7pm anyway so they had to come a long way. In the meantime, we stood on the gross muddy verge (full of litter and all sorts) watching cars almost hit our car over and over again because they couldn't see it. Oh, and the cars that did see it, and saw us standing by the side of the road? Decided to roll down their windows and yell abuse at us for not having the hazard lights on. Yes, this was a personal choice of ours to abandon the car in the dark in the fast lane, of course.

Police finally turned up and parked there with their lights flashing, put up cones and all. We were then told that it was our fault because you should never turn your engine off in standstill traffic, and also that we should cancel our breakdown van because the police now will take over and bring their own, ours wasn't allowed anymore. Except, the police don't have their own dedicated service, they just use a "local" one (from a village half an hour away) so that still took an hour to get there. So, we stood in the pouring rain for the next hour waiting for the police recovery thing. Who turned up, hooked the car to the van, and drove off with it. Leaving us still by the side of the road. Thankfully the police lady was nice enough to give us a lift home (it was, after all, just five minutes away) so I got my first trip in the back of a police car. We got home at about 9:30PM. After arriving five minutes from our house not long past 6.

Today, my husband rang up the people who took the car to find out what to do and they said there was an even bigger charge if he didn't collect it before 12 noon. So he had to get time off work, find a lift, and go and collect it. They jump started it for him so he could drive back. He dropped it back home then had to run off to work so I have to sort the car out. Well, it turns out because it was a police thing they have searched the car (why? who knows) and removed everything that is not part of the car, and put it all in a giant plastic bag in the boot. Just one, giant plastic bag with everything that was in the car last night in it. Everything from my hot water bottle, box of tissues, the AA road map, loose CDs, phone chargers...to our muddy welly boots and walking shoes. So, everything is completely covered in mud. Ick. I hope the CDs still work. I threw out the box of tissues.

Oh and to top it all off, when we were stuck in traffic last night I commented on the local newspaper's facebook story about it. Suddenly got a mass of friend requests from men in my city. My husband said "wow, that's creepy". I guess that was a learning experience for him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Wow, that sounds awful. Your post brought back memories of a car accident I was in years ago, on an icy road. We got stuck at a bottom of a hill with car accidents ahead of us and couldn't move forward. We were sitting ducks when this one car came from behind us much too fast and not only hit us, but than skidded into other cars as well. Then we left our car and stood behind the guard rail in the freezing cold waiting for police to arrive. That was terrifying. Fortunately no one was badly hurt and the police did get there within fifteen minutes or so. And very luckily, since there were 26 (!) cars in that one caramel cluster, the insurance companies ruled it a no-fault accident and our repairs were paid for without premiums going up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:11 am 
Total Hoover

Oh, Vixki, that sounds like such an ordeal!
vixki wrote:
[...]We were then told that it was our fault because you should never turn your engine off in standstill traffic[...]

Either the officer was being daft or I have completely misunderstood this. (I'm learning to drive.) The Highway Code says "you MUST NOT leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road."

And how did they expect you to get home they hadn't taken you? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume taxis (or any hypothetical driver friend you might phone) aren't allowed to pick up passengers from the side of a motorway. And you aren't allowed to walk along them except to get to the emergency phones.

Why not tell you when they towed your car that you would have to collect if before noon? Or give you a leaflet, as people involved in car accidents etc often don't retain information well?

I hope the rest of today has been more relaxing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

GreenDuck - they said apparently it comes from having the lights and the radio on with the engine off? Like we were meant to sit in the pitch black, or something :/

Apparently we could have got a lift with the recovery vehicle. They would have taken us to their home, which is nowhere near us, and we'd have had to get a taxi, which would be fun at the middle of nowhere on a Sunday night. They should have given us a leaflet at least, the recovery people didn't even have our details! The police lady never even asked our names. It was very strange.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:50 am 
Total Hoover

Ah right, having the lights or radio on with the engine off would drain the battery. (You have to run the engine for a while every now and then but I have no idea how often or for how long.) But a telling off is not what you need after waiting for ages in the cold and dark wet, worrying.
Hopefully this is the end of the ordeal.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:36 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

My brother in law has been struggling with quitting alcohol for a while now, spent a month in a residential treatment program last fall, and showed up here tonight drunk.

And I'm pretty sure my husband is secretly smoking. I really, really, really hate cigarettes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18417 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 733, 734, 735, 736, 737