| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46810 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 970, 971, 972, 973, 974, 975, 976 ... 1873  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:50 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I hate answering the phone.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:56 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

lavawitch wrote:
My students need time because they dont study. At all.

My final exam took the kids who studied 15-20 minutes. They laughed about how easy it was. Everyone else needed an hour and bitched about it being super hard and unfair.

It was 37 questions from a list of 70, all taken from their previous exams and quizzes. They were given the list two weeks in advance. All of them were the important essential questions so they had all appeared on multiple assessments.

Class average was a 60something due to lots of 95s mixed with lots of 20s.

This is often the case for my classes, but in a weird reversal... The kids who DO prepare take their time and are always really thorough--often doing more work than they actually need to. The kids who don't prepare at all don't even bother. I've had tests handed in to me that are almost completely blank. Sometimes they draw faces.

Oh well. So it goes. Two hours to go...

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:02 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I have those too, but for some absurd reason, I get students who suddenly decide they care while taking the exam. So, instead of studying for an hour, they sit and cry and angst about the test while taking it.

They have used the same technique all year. What can you do?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:11 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

The botox injections have forked my neck up, I can hardly hold my arms up and I have to do a 100 mile round trip and two hour shoot tomorrow FML.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:25 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

fisticuffs wrote:
I sent in a job application recently. I got a reply I can come in for an interview.

First thought: YES. If they had said no to me even interviewing I would've probably had a fit of rage (I haz all the experience they ask for) and started planning moving to the UK anyway (my bf is moving and I am conflicted).

Second thought: "you can come in on monday at 1 pm". Oh great. How about providing me with more options? It's wednesday already, I don't know if I can sort this out at work. It's over an hour commute from my workplace. Plus that makes me miss an appointment with a dermatologist I NEEEEEEEDDDD.

Come to the UK! You can always leave again if you don't like it (but we'll make sure you like it!).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:27 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Ack, Fezza, I hope you feel better soon.

Speaking of driving, we leave for Ottawa tomorrow (8 hour drive) and then the next day we drive to Montreal from there (2 hour drive). And then back to Ottawa from Montreal on Saturday (2 hours) and then back home on monday (8 hours). I get really bad headaches if I'm in the passenger seat for highway driving, so I anticipate I'll be doing a lot of that drive....uuuggghh.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:43 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Grr, I ran into the store quickly on my way home to grab shampoo and bought a new kind since it was on sale and said no animal products/no animal testing in semi-large print on the side of the bottle. Got home and looked at the ingredients only to see silk protein. Stupid shampoo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

fisticuffs wrote:
I sent in a job application recently. I got a reply I can come in for an interview.

First thought: YES. If they had said no to me even interviewing I would've probably had a fit of rage (I haz all the experience they ask for) and started planning moving to the UK anyway (my bf is moving and I am conflicted).

Second thought: "you can come in on monday at 1 pm". Oh great. How about providing me with more options? It's wednesday already, I don't know if I can sort this out at work. It's over an hour commute from my workplace. Plus that makes me miss an appointment with a dermatologist I NEEEEEEEDDDD.

I have to send interview acceptance emails to people, and I always assign them a time, but if they tell me that time is no good, I'll try to work something out for them. Email them back and ask if they can give you a different time - they should be accommodating (and if they aren't, you might not want to work with them).

All that said, I think you should just move to the UK. What area is your bf moving to?

I had my interview. I'm really glad I already have a job, because I always choke at interviews. I always forget to mention something that would make me sound awesome, ramble about pointless things, and say "like" and "um/uh" too much. I probably won't find out for a couple of days if I make the short-list to meet the president. Oh yeah, I expected to interview with someone from HR, and the bleedin' Chief Executive was doing the interview!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:54 pm 
Hip Goiter

I'm sure you did well Rachell! Good luck.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:55 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I want to write a thank you note to my professor who invited me to the launch this morning because that definitely rekindled my passion for science that I felt like I'd lost since my mentor died. But I don't know if that would be weird to write a note saying "I thought I'd fallen out of love with science. Thanks for showing me otherwise" to a professor who, while we're close enough that she comforted me after he died, is not my adviser.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:20 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

So. Anyone else watching the European football championship? The Dutchies just got their asparagus kicked by the Germans tonight. (I like the Germans, I'd be happy if they won.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:58 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Paloma wrote:
So. Anyone else watching the European football championship? The Dutchies just got their asparagus kicked by the Germans tonight. (I like the Germans, I'd be happy if they won.)

I'll avoid my coworkers tonight then ;) they skipped the conf to watch the match

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:26 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

fisticuffs wrote:

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, and this is going to another of those "this probably says more about me than about you or your situation" posts...

When me and the ex-gf where looking for a house to live in, I didn't have a good feeling with several houses and turned them down for rational reasons.

When the ex-gf talked about emigration to another country to live fully self-supporting, I found good reasons not to emigrate.

After we broke up I realized that a lot of the rational "I don't know" / "it won't work because" reasons where there cause I subconsciously didn't want to make big life decisions or changes with her. I turned down houses because I "told myself" I couldn't see myself living there, but in reality it was because I couldn't see myself living there with her.

Even later I realized that I stayed with her cause I was afraid to face the consequences of a break-up. (drama, heartbreak, being alone again etc.)

I hope this is not your situation and I hope you can resolve your situation/feeling soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:31 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Paloma wrote:

I didn't watch, but according to the news we lost, which means they'll remove all orange supporter stuff at the office first thing in the morning :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:53 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

zwingtip wrote:
I want to write a thank you note to my professor who invited me to the launch this morning because that definitely rekindled my passion for science that I felt like I'd lost since my mentor died. But I don't know if that would be weird to write a note saying "I thought I'd fallen out of love with science. Thanks for showing me otherwise" to a professor who, while we're close enough that she comforted me after he died, is not my adviser.

Yes! Definitely!

Professors and teachers love to know they have mattered to a student. Do it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:00 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Paloma wrote:

The only reason I knew there was a football thing going on was all the crazy orange bunting and such happening all over Amsterdam the other day. As is traditional, we'll be supporting whoever is against England, here. And in general Germany (because the shitty press just. can't. let. it. go.)

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:46 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm watching this new show about a dog "trainer", and the guy obviously has no forking idea what he's talking about. He has obviously not studied dog behaviour at all. Must be nice to get your own television show simply on the basis of connections. Too bad people will listen to this crasshole, just because "he's on tv, so he must know what he's talking about!"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:45 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I'm watching this new show about a dog "trainer", and the guy obviously has no forking idea what he's talking about. He has obviously not studied dog behaviour at all. Must be nice to get your own television show simply on the basis of connections. Too bad people will listen to this crasshole, just because "he's on tv, so he must know what he's talking about!"

Not that I intend to be unsympathetic, but: welcome to everything everywhere. Sorry. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:47 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

jordanpattern wrote:
raspberrycomplaint wrote:

Not that I intend to be unsympathetic, but: welcome to everything everywhere. Sorry. :(

I know, but then we end up with the dogs that people surrender because the training didn't work, and/or made the dogs more aggressive (we've already dealt with this with the "Dog Whisperer"), so the dog training shows are a bit more personal for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

So, no big deal, just finished the final episode of Buffy and it was basically the most epic thing ever. I can't stop crying. So much girl power, so much awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Aaand still crying.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:35 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm cycling to work tomorrow. I'm excited. I only live a mile away, but still.
There's a guy at my job who cycled sixteen miles (one way) to get to work. That's amazing to me. Holy frijoles, Batman!

- just mumbles

Twitter: TheSpinachGirl
Blog:Spinach Girl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:48 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

zwingtip wrote:

No, do it! Definitely do it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:36 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm listening to a fresh air episode about homelessness and mental illness and it's making me pretty emotional. Tearing up! Feelings!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:34 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

dropscone wrote:
Come to the UK! You can always leave again if you don't like it (but we'll make sure you like it!).

It's not the UK I have issues with...

rachell37 wrote:
I have to send interview acceptance emails to people, and I always assign them a time, but if they tell me that time is no good, I'll try to work something out for them. Email them back and ask if they can give you a different time - they should be accommodating (and if they aren't, you might not want to work with them).

All that said, I think you should just move to the UK. What area is your bf moving to?

I had my interview. I'm really glad I already have a job, because I always choke at interviews. I always forget to mention something that would make me sound awesome, ramble about pointless things, and say "like" and "um/uh" too much. I probably won't find out for a couple of days if I make the short-list to meet the president. Oh yeah, I expected to interview with someone from HR, and the bleedin' Chief Executive was doing the interview!

I hope you make the short-list! Fingers crossed.

Oh and it's Nottingham.

Thanks for your thoughts, veg_eric. I would happily move if the situation was different, but the last year or so has been difficult. At this point I'm not ready to leave everything here (would have to fix up the house some more and find a lodger too) for a relationship that might be ending. Either way we still have time to work this out. He starts there at the end of july, but has a 3 month trial period. The earliest I would move, would be october then.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46810 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 970, 971, 972, 973, 974, 975, 976 ... 1873  Next