| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 972, 973, 974, 975, 976, 977, 978 ... 1888  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:21 pm 
WRETCHED

jordanpattern wrote:
It's sort of true, though. It's not to say that other people don't have it worse, but when people say that, what they mean is, "$250k/year doesn't go nearly as far as you think it would in 2012 California," which is true. Mike and I have a combined income that I would have been STOKED about and would surely qualify us for things like home ownership and healthcare in other places. As it stands, I am uninsured; we live in a studio; and we live paycheck to paycheck, and we are definitely not the only ones.

I understand what she is saying but I also live in one of the most expensive counties in the US. I feel wealthy due to my income and I know there are people who live here who make minimum wage. Yes, it doesn't go as far as other places and that was a choice we made when we moved here. Comparatively though, someone who makes $250k+ is wealthy when the average income is much lower than that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:35 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I would like to be the last stop on that inari production line.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:03 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I have absolutely zero self control when it comes to food.

Send help.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

You guys, have you ever looked otters up on google images? I am dying. Nothing should be this cute.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:51 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I got wrong-address emailed by a federal prisoner through the prison email system, and to let him know he had the wrong email I had to accept his request, and then he had to accept my accepting his request before I could actually write him anything.

I feel bad that he thought someone he knew wanted to talk to him, and then wrote me a nice note asking what I was up to, before I could let him know he had actually just made a mistake.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:47 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Paloma wrote:
I have friends from Nottingham and they asked me whether I could go there, as a vegan, because it has ham in it.

Thanks for giving me the first laugh of my day!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Okayyy. Just over a week until the wedding I don't want to attend. I've got a new haircut, the best dress on the planet is waiting for me at the post office, and I seem to have matching shoes as well. Now to remember to pack a bag of inconspicuous snack foods... Anyway, if the worst happens and I'm starving in a corner, surrounded by the dreadful people I don't want to talk to, I'm planning to just fake seeing someone I know, then wander off with a wine glass or something and talk to strangers until I meet someone I feel like talking to.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:42 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

Phoenix wrote:
Okayyy. Just over a week until the wedding I don't want to attend. I've got a new haircut, the best dress on the planet is waiting for me at the post office, and I seem to have matching shoes as well. Now to remember to pack a bag of inconspicuous snack foods... Anyway, if the worst happens and I'm starving in a corner, surrounded by the dreadful people I don't want to talk to, I'm planning to just fake seeing someone I know, then wander off with a wine glass or something and talk to strangers until I meet someone I feel like talking to.

I had to go to such a wedding last year. I got really drunk and it wasn't that bad...ok, the headache afterwards was bad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:51 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mihl wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

I had to go to such a wedding last year. I got really drunk and it wasn't that bad...ok, the headache afterwards was bad.

Okayyyy. Note to self: Pack some painkillers too. ;)
Also, one of our professors (who is American) just told me that she thought that at that kind of wedding you were required to get really drunk. Like that's what they're there for.

ETA: My okays keep getting longer. Guess I've worked too much overtime this week. Looking forward to the weekend! ;D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:01 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

linanil wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:
It's sort of true, though. It's not to say that other people don't have it worse, but when people say that, what they mean is, "$250k/year doesn't go nearly as far as you think it would in 2012 California," which is true. Mike and I have a combined income that I would have been STOKED about and would surely qualify us for things like home ownership and healthcare in other places. As it stands, I am uninsured; we live in a studio; and we live paycheck to paycheck, and we are definitely not the only ones.

I understand what she is saying but I also live in one of the most expensive counties in the US. I feel wealthy due to my income and I know there are people who live here who make minimum wage. Yes, it doesn't go as far as other places and that was a choice we made when we moved here. Comparatively though, someone who makes $250k+ is wealthy when the average income is much lower than that.

I understand - I just take it as more of a comment on inflation than anything else. I have spent years of my life with very, very little income, and I don't mean to sound whiny for those who are struggling less.

Bathsheba, we're definitely not poor (we could afford a bigger place in a less desireable/convenient part of SF or in Oakland, and I could get insurance if I stopped spending money on fun stuff; those are tradeoffs we're making right now), but SF is pretty crazy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:28 am 
Dead by dawn

Where's Fee been lately?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:55 pm 
ugh

Paloma wrote:
I'm not familiar with Stephen the Angry Vegan. Who is this?

A classic!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:20 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

I just made the biggest kale salad I've ever seen. It was GREAT. (the whole thing was consumed, of course)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:37 pm 
Semen Strong

DarthCupcake wrote:
I have absolutely zero self control when it comes to food.

Send help cookies.

fixed that for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:05 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I have a 19-year-old brother in college who says crepe like, "I was in the right parking lot, but I got a parking ticket for being in the wrong lot. It's because my school hires handicapped people so it gets money, but they can't do the forking jobs."

My parents were going to let that fly as an unchallenged statement. I told him that was a really horrible and wrong thing to say and also told him why. He told me he was in the right "because handicapped people can't do the job!" and my parents just gave me this look like, "Oh, there's DangerZone being a PC crasshole again."

ETA- And I wanted to punch everyone (especially my brother) in the face.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:57 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Having to be nice to people you don't like is pretty much the worst.... It becomes particularly awkward when they're a lover of a close friend. Ugh. At least they're not a jerk to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The stupid dress I ordered didn't fit and I got a little panicky because I realized I couldn't afford to return it and order another one and pay for shipping (both ways) and then customs again(they don't offer free international exchanges). So basically, I just spent a silly sum for trying on a dress I'm not keeping. Yay. I guess I learned that lesson.
Still don't want to go to that wedding. It's going to be a five to six hour drive, then not getting any food and trying to avoid annoying people, then the same drive back home, probably with a hangover (don't worry, I don't have a licence, I'm just a passenger).
Maybe I should just say I'm sick and stay home (which might peas off my BF who really likes the groom). Meh, I don't know what to do.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:18 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Vyapti got a new job. It will make for a stress filled summer. But in theory by the end of it, we will have a nest egg enough for me to quit and work on my business.

And it is work he prefers to do. He also has the chance to really help his current company this way (if they agree).

He will be working 60+ hours a week during much of the summer. So the girls and I will see all the movies we can tolerate!

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Not in the mood for my own birthday.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

bathsheba wrote:
Damn, though. Really? I made $11,000 an academic school year when I was a TA, and was not allowed to work another job during that time. Sure, I have a small credit card and some help from my fella, but nevertheless I still managed to live in a pretty good sized apartments in not-so-cheap-for-Chicago neighborhoods.

If I ever make like, I don't know, $40,000 a year, I'll probably start thinking I can afford a yacht.

I make a little more than 40k a year, don't own a home, and drive a car that is 10 years old. I have lived on much, much less and did for nearly 30 years of my adult life (I am old). The extra money I have now means that I can afford to help out my son who's in college, pay for car repairs, vet bills, treat myself to a few small luxuries, and put money into savings. I could probably afford a higher standard of living but don't want to take the risk. I've seen what happens to people who live beyond their means, and it is scary how quickly things can go downhill.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:12 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Molly found someone's unfinished Happy Meal on the ground yesterday morning and consequently woke me up at 1:30 with it... coming out the other end, quickly and violently... all over my doormat! At least she did it on something I could easily roll up and throw away.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:01 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Hah! Good thinking Molly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:19 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Is there no such thing as a mirrored finish/chrome spray paint? I just bought a can of Krylon that says it's mirrored finish, and the paint on the lid is perfectly what I want! But... of course, it looks nothing like the lid and is very much just your average 'metallic'. My question is, how did they get the lid that color? It's clear plastic, so it has to be some kind of paint on the outside... I would have thought they'd use the same spray paint they say that is in the can...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:24 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

dear me, you are not allowed to look for jobs until you finish your thesis. stop procrastinating!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:15 pm 
Impressive boner

Mr8 and I went to a charity dinner. The main course was awful, probably the worst food I've been served in years. Dessert was ok but nothing special. As a result of this, we've volunteered to cook for the next event and are considering a couple of different menus.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 972, 973, 974, 975, 976, 977, 978 ... 1888  Next