| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Support & "Did they SERIOUSLY just say that???" group
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:57 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I got the "so what.. are you gonna FORCE your kids to be vegan?" followed by "you know there were these parents that brought up their kid as vegan and the kid died"

I rage so bad when I get this.. yes I'll bring up my children vegan, not to be controlling to but to bring them up with what I believe is good ethics, and teach them to be compassionate. Just as any parent would try and bring their children up to follow what they believe is right.
And you know what?! I bake enough friggin cakes,pies and other goodies for you all to forking eat, I cook a damn sight more interesting and varied meals than you do, and I know a shiitake tonne more than you do about health and nutrition so my children will definitely be well fed, healthy and eating balanced meals so STFU and GTFO.

Those comments coming from a girl who will eat plain jacket potatoes and toast sandwiches. YES, that is what you think it is.
A slice of toast sandwiched between two pieces of bread.

Okay.. so maybe I didn't say that to her. BUT I WAS THINKING IT SO LOUD. I'm not nasty by any means, but I get an insane rage build up inside when ignorant people pretend to know about things, yet refuse to expand their understanding of the other side of the argument. Then close off a conversation when they realise they are out of their depth.
I will listen to any person make a claim against veganism if they can back it up with valid information, and I will make a point back, again backing it up with my research. Yet to throw a grenade and run from the inevitable explosion is just pathetic.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:13 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

YIKES! Whoa... okay sorry about the harshness in my last post!! I was re living the moment as I typed..

I'm usually quite the sweetheart :) haha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:09 pm 
Huffs Nooch

VanillaDoe wrote:
YIKES! Whoa... okay sorry about the harshness in my last post!! I was re living the moment as I typed..

I'm usually quite the sweetheart :) haha

That just shows how passionately you feel!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:01 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

" You can eat these because they're ORGANIC" (said with extra proud emphasis on the word organic). "You mean the cheese crackers?" "Yes, they're ORGANIC so you can eat them."

Yep that happened.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:20 am 
Ninja Master

VanillaDoe wrote:
I got the "so what.. are you gonna FORCE your kids to be vegan?"

This one bugs me so much. EVERYONE brings up their kids in accordance with their beliefs. If they eat meat and dairy, generally so do their kids - maybe one day they'll decide not to on their own. I don't understand why people can't see it's exactly the same.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:41 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just got back from a mini vacation with my boyfriend's family. His dad is so immature so I had to endure jokes all weekend that are really not funny. Every single meal "mmmm chicken yum! want some??" (my boyfriend is a vegetarian). His mom and brother are a lot better but I just wanted to correct them every time they asked, "can you eat that?" "you can eat that right?"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:25 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My friends from home started hanging out with this new guy when I was at school. He's a fishermen and yesterday they went out with him on his boat. I couldn't go but probably wouldn't have gone anyway...but afterwards everyone was saying how he caught a fish, threw it up in the air, and then hit it with a bat? Some people thought it was funny but some people were grossed out by it. I just don't think I can be in a social situation like that...I mean the fishing is already upsetting but then to laugh about being cruel to the fish as well?

Another one of their new friends is a "vegan" who eats fish ugggggh seriously? She doesn't know I'm a vegan and I've never been around her when this came up, but I feel like how can I not say something? I need more vegan friends!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:41 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

VanillaDoe wrote:
I got the "so what.. are you gonna FORCE your kids to be vegan?" followed by "you know there were these parents that brought up their kid as vegan and the kid died"

I rage so bad when I get this.. yes I'll bring up my children vegan, not to be controlling to but to bring them up with what I believe is good ethics, and teach them to be compassionate. Just as any parent would try and bring their children up to follow what they believe is right.
And you know what?! I bake enough friggin cakes,pies and other goodies for you all to forking eat, I cook a damn sight more interesting and varied meals than you do, and I know a shiitake tonne more than you do about health and nutrition so my children will definitely be well fed, healthy and eating balanced meals so STFU and GTFO.

Those comments coming from a girl who will eat plain jacket potatoes and toast sandwiches. YES, that is what you think it is.
A slice of toast sandwiched between two pieces of bread.

Okay.. so maybe I didn't say that to her. BUT I WAS THINKING IT SO LOUD. I'm not nasty by any means, but I get an insane rage build up inside when ignorant people pretend to know about things, yet refuse to expand their understanding of the other side of the argument. Then close off a conversation when they realise they are out of their depth.
I will listen to any person make a claim against veganism if they can back it up with valid information, and I will make a point back, again backing it up with my research. Yet to throw a grenade and run from the inevitable explosion is just pathetic.

Is it bad that now I want a toast sandwich?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:32 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

"Wait. So you're saying that you won't clean the fridge because you don't want to touch animal products? So even if this meat is wrapped in plastic, you're not ok with it. ...whatever."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:50 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

"But there's eggs in pasta dough...so not vegan."

Yup.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:06 am 
Semen Strong

A vegan friend of mine is gossiping that one of the only purely vegan businesses here has a dirty little secret of making non-vegan food for private events and that that is the only way they can afford to stay in business.

Its not true, and the owners of the vegan business are super-ethical and very committed vegans who won't even have dairy milk in the store for coffee like Baby Cakes does, and they would never profit off the exploitation of others.

I just hate it when vegans who should know better gossip and spread dirt and accuse other vegans of not being vegan. Enough omnis do it and its disgusting. I told her that, but I am pretty sure she is going around repeating the rumor to anyone who will listen and I just hope it doesn't impact the vegan business, which is working really hard to survive and does so much good for the animals (fundraisers, adoption drives etc etc etc).

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:11 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I was having drinks with some colleagues and we started chatting about the foods we like, so I let slip that I mostly stick to a vegan diet. One of the girls was interested, and one of the first things she said was that it must be difficult to get enough nutrients and she could tell, since I was very thin. I know lots of omnis think that, but this was the first time somebody said it in my face. what the fizzle!?

First of all, she is just as thin as I am. Second, you don't get thin by consuming few nutrients, but by eating very little calories. People can get fat on nutrient deficient diets, vegan or otherwise. Third, I've always been on the thin side, just the same when I was omni as a kid and later as a vegetarian.

I told her I know vegans of all sizes and she could come and meet my wonderfully chubby partner who eats the same foods as I do. She was very surprised and I don't think she actually believed me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:36 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Ugh, Cornelie. That sucks. I don't why, but it seems some people think that your being vegan gives them free rein to comment on your body. I get the opposite side of the same coin. Once, upon hearing I was vegan, someone looked me up and down and said "You don't look vegan. Aren't all vegans thin?"

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:23 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yeah, where does that come from?

As soon as people know you are veg, they feel justified to interrogate you about where you get your protein and your iron and your calcium; criticize your ethics that they know nothing about (you're not consistent/you don't care enough about humans/what about the suffering of plants etc.) And they seem to have a carte blanche to comment on what you look like. I would never dream of talking like that to people I hardly know.

Usually, I don't mind so much since it's a good opportunity to educate, but it does get on my nerves sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:44 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

teppiedoo wrote:

Yup.

But there usually are eggs in fresh pasta. Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:26 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

jordanpattern wrote:
teppiedoo wrote:

Yup.

No, you're right, but the recipe called for just store bought spaghetti. I guess I always assume when I see a a vegan recipe or if I'm trying to veganizing a recipe, I look for egg-free pasta.
This person didn't realize egg-free pasta existed I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:53 am 
Level 7 Vegan

teppiedoo wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:
teppiedoo wrote:

Yup.

No, you're right, but the recipe called for just store bought spaghetti. I guess I always assume when I see a a vegan recipe or if I'm trying to veganizing a recipe, I look for egg-free pasta.

That one I can kinda understand, but what really gets me is when people ask me if I can eat peanut butter. My mom even did this recently, and she's mostly vegan herself!

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:51 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Ok, you win, that is way worse! Peanut butter?!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:07 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Tofulish wrote:
A vegan friend of mine is gossiping that one of the only purely vegan businesses here has a dirty little secret of making non-vegan food for private events and that that is the only way they can afford to stay in business.

Its not true, and the owners of the vegan business are super-ethical and very committed vegans who won't even have dairy milk in the store for coffee like Baby Cakes does, and they would never profit off the exploitation of others.

I just hate it when vegans who should know better gossip and spread dirt and accuse other vegans of not being vegan. Enough omnis do it and its disgusting. I told her that, but I am pretty sure she is going around repeating the rumor to anyone who will listen and I just hope it doesn't impact the vegan business, which is working really hard to survive and does so much good for the animals (fundraisers, adoption drives etc etc etc).

Oh Tofulish, that's horrible. That really is horrible. Why on earth would you want to do that to someone? (Especially if that someone is working so hard to make a place for themselves as a vegan business, like you say. There is so much backlash and misunderstanding already, let's not start adding our own voices to that choir.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:31 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

teppiedoo wrote:
I've had that as well. I've also been asked what I use to fry things, which is normally followed by a comment like "well, I walked right into that one" when I give them a blank look and say "... oil?".

One thing that really bothers me is the assumption that I'll vomit myself to death, crying tears of despair, whenever people talk about meat in my presence. I don't care. I really don't care. Obviously, I don't want to hear an in-depth explanation of how to gut a yak, but I don't think that's really appropriate conversation for the dinner table anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:38 am 

Because the Dutch word for protein is "eiwit", which literally means "egg white", I've had someone take the "where do you get your protein?" question to the extreme and tell me that the only source of protein out there is egg, and if I don't eat egg, I couldn't possible be getting any protein.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:00 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Really? I did have someone tell me that some people think there are eggs in everything that has eiwit (protein) listed with the nutritional values, but I thought the person was joking. Jeeez...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:27 am 

Yep. I just let it go and changed the subject because I was going to be in the car with that person for another five hours, and I just wanted to peacefully eat my hummus wrap without having that conversation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:33 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

choirqueer wrote:
VanillaDoe wrote:
. . . toast sandwiches. YES, that is what you think it is. A slice of toast sandwiched between two pieces of bread.

How did I never think of this!? Genius.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:50 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

caterpillar wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
VanillaDoe wrote:
. . . toast sandwiches. YES, that is what you think it is. A slice of toast sandwiched between two pieces of bread.

How did I never think of this!? Genius.

Toast sandwhiches were on the radio a lot for a while. You're allowed to have margerine and salt and pepper as well and it still officially counts as a toast sandwich.

Apparently they're the cheapest lunch a study found or something.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next