| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341 ... 619  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:26 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Doc A, that is horrifying. I'm so sorry this is happening.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:23 pm 
Impressive boner

Paloma wrote:
8ball wrote:
I really don't need to have a 'one thing after another' series of episodes here.

When I was in the middle of moving house/refurbishment of hell, I liked to pretend that I was in a comedy TV series about someone experiencing a house-related crisis. My friends and I would even play this song aloud while DIY-ing, because that song makes just about anything funny, really.

So yeah, revel in the bad luck for a bit, and see the irony of it. It's the only way to survive housing stuff, because this sort of recurring shiitake (see what I did there?) is enough to drive any person batshit insane, in my opinion.

Thanks Paloma, and thanks for the adorable pup :)

The drainage has been fixed (for the time being!), the leaky pipe has been replaced and I'm over a mild case of carbon monoxide poisoning. I took a day's emergency holiday to wait in for the plumber, so I've been sat on the sofa most of the day. It's not all bad after all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:24 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Another miserable, pointless, unhelpful eye doctor appointment. I think it's time to find a new doctor again. It's really infuriating how frequently I have to explain to doctors how to do their job because they're not capable of doing it themselves and think somehow that I won't notice. I had to wait a month for this appointment, too. forking hell.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Gulliver wrote:
We had a French group come round where I work (historic house open to public), and as I have a French degree I was roped in to help. Now, my French is very rusty and was hardly fluent to begin with... but never mind. I had looked up some French names for things that might be relevant and done a little cheat sheet that I thought might be useful.

Apparently, I was expected to lead the forking tour and do an introductory talk. Something I haven't even done in English. I might have been able to cope with it if I knew about it before I entered the room... but no. I was introduced with "This is Gulliver. He speaks fluent French. He speaks very quietly so tell him if you can't hear him. He will now give you a talk."

Because who needs to feel confident when speaking to a group unprepared in a foreign language? Oh yeah - me.

Needless to say, my mind went totally blank and I felt like a fool.

Sigh.

I was once teaching a cooking class and I was told there would be someone there to translate my English to Spanish. I can say hola, and that's about it. Well, there was no translator. I felt horrible that half the class couldn't understand me. I feel your pain.

I haven't been able to sleep. The baby has started sleeping and now I can't.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It's very frustrating that my husband isn't working right now, and I still have to come home after work and clean the kitchen, because he's been playing video games all day. It would be different if he was down there filling out job applications all day, but he'll spend 5 minutes job searching and an hour doing "fun" things.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:37 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

They're doing construction in the space below and next to my office, so I have been listening to periodic VERY LOUD drilling all day. And this is going to be ongoing until September.

I can't wait for vacation next week.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:56 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Downscaling my job is turning out to be nowhere near as easy as the Powers That Be assured me it would be. I feel like everything is falling into place on top of me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:05 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

creep wrote:
It's very frustrating that my husband isn't working right now, and I still have to come home after work and clean the kitchen, because he's been playing video games all day. It would be different if he was down there filling out job applications all day, but he'll spend 5 minutes job searching and an hour doing "fun" things.

Omg! Are you planning to talk to him? I would feel so resentful if my guy did that!

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:20 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My boyfriend left to work in switzerland for the summer (which is actually a great thing and I am extremely happy for him but just missing him!) and I am looking online for publishing jobs and internships and it's making me feel like I'm never going to get one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:24 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Never mind, an even worse thing happened. I had made a custom-made crocheted hat for a friend of a friend, and waited too long to send it to her because I was waiting to have several packages to send all at the same time, and that took much longer than I thought it would. Today I found out that she died before I could send the package. I don't even care about the money...I'm just really sad, like, I hardly knew her, but she was super super sweet about the whole thing and I know she really wanted this hat, and now I feel like a crasshole because if I had just mailed it to her in a suitably timely manner, she would have had it before she died, but...now she's dead and she'll never get to see this hat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:26 pm 

choirqueer wrote:
Never mind, an even worse thing happened. I had made a custom-made crocheted hat for a friend of a friend, and waited too long to send it to her because I was waiting to have several packages to send all at the same time, and that took much longer than I thought it would. Today I found out that she died before I could send the package. I don't even care about the money...I'm just really sad, like, I hardly knew her, but she was super super sweet about the whole thing and I know she really wanted this hat, and now I feel like a crasshole because if I had just mailed it to her in a suitably timely manner, she would have had it before she died, but...now she's dead and she'll never get to see this hat.

Oh, *hugs* I'm so sorry CQ.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

If it helps any CQ, a hat is probably not someone's last regret.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:27 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Thanks to Facebook I know that my roommate/one of my best friends is hanging out with my ex-girlfriend who was a huge crasshole to me right now and even though I went on a really good date tonight I HATE that they hang out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:06 am 

choirqueer wrote:
Aww!

I once leant lent some tapes (waaaay back) to someone who died and consequently never gave them back. It doesn't bother me at all, but it's always something that was kind of left hanging there... But he didn't die of possessing too many tapes and she didn't die of an absence of hats. But... yeah...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:49 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Creep that sucks!! You should definitely talk to him about it, a few years ago Nick wasn't working and he'd just play video games all day, do nothing about applying for jobs and then when I got home from work I'd end up cooking, cleaning, doing laundry etc. Not cool!!

My worst thing: I bumped into an old friend / ex boyfriend at a gig last night & found out that he was badly beaten up right near my house recently. He was in intensive care for 2 weeks, he almost died & the police are treating it as attempted murder. What the fork is wrong with people? How could someone do that? I feel super shitty that I didn't know & couldn't be there for him but at the same time I stopped being friends with him for some pretty good reasons & being back in contact with him is already confusing & I don't know whether I should really hang out with him again or not.

Also yesterday I managed to fork up my shoulder whilst excercising, I shouldn't have gone out & danced at the gig because it made it SO MUCH WORSE. I only slept for about 3 hours last night because I couldn't find a comfy position & I can't really move my head or use my left arm. Nick's at work and I can't even get dressed because it hurts so much. I've taken codeine, paracetamol & ibuprofen & they're doing NOTHING.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:51 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My brother is being a total crasshole.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Jigglypuff wrote:
creep wrote:

Omg! Are you planning to talk to him? I would feel so resentful if my guy did that!

Oh yeah. He gets defensive and does the "But I didn't ask you to clean it. I would've cleaned it later." But until "later," the kitchen is still dirty. And his version of cleaning is doing like 75% and leaving the rest. WHY DON'T YOU JUST DO IT ALL?

So anything I do that he doesn't ask me to do doesn't count or something.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:19 am 
Bathes in Braggs

creep wrote:
Oh yeah. He gets defensive and does the "But I didn't ask you to clean it. I would've cleaned it later." But until "later," the kitchen is still dirty. And his version of cleaning is doing like 75% and leaving the rest. WHY DON'T YOU JUST DO IT ALL?

Well that sounds familiar. I started treating mine like a child - not in a nasty way, not talking down to him but just starting from the assumption that he had no clue what I was talking about. Giving him specific and exact instructions, giving him a time deadline ("When I get home from work I want to cook dinner so I need to have the kitchen cleaned up sompletely by 5:30"), using "I" statements ("When you ___ I feel _____").

It should work for a reasonable person, especially if he cares about you and doesn't want you to feel hurt, and realizes he is getting something from it too.

None of it worked for me and I finally DTMF.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:33 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

creep wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:
creep wrote:

That's such bullshiitake! Especially if they're the kind of messes that could attract ants, "later" isn't really good enough.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:44 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Arisaig wrote:
creep wrote:

Well that sounds familiar. I started treating mine like a child - not in a nasty way, not talking down to him but just starting from the assumption that he had no clue what I was talking about. Giving him specific and exact instructions, giving him a time deadline ("When I get home from work I want to cook dinner so I need to have the kitchen cleaned up sompletely by 5:30"), using "I" statements ("When you ___ I feel _____").

It should work for a reasonable person, especially if he cares about you and doesn't want you to feel hurt, and realizes he is getting something from it too.

None of it worked for me and I finally DTMF.

Me too. In all seriousness, me doing almost all the household work in addition to being the only one working AND the only one going to school (and my partner was long-term unemployed as well) did contribute a LOT to my divorce. So, I'd make it a priority to sort out now, with counseling if necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:51 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Creep, my husband does that sometimes, too. I'll wait and wait and wait for him to do something like wipe down the counters after he left coffee grinds on it, and then I'll finally get angry and do it, and he'll be all, "I was just going to do it!" Like hell you were.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:50 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

One of the people I interviewed today cried when I told her she didn't get the job. I hate that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:49 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

New gas tank + tire realignment because they had to take the axles off to get to the tank + new hydraulic thingies to keep the trunk up == $1800

Aw yeah.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:58 pm 
Semen Strong

Asked a friend for the book she borrowed over a year ago, and she replied that she thought that she had returned the book to me and bought her own. I said she hadn't and she now seems skeptical and annoyed.

Lesson learned.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Went to get my wisdom teeth taken out this morning, instead had a really bad panic attack in the office at the thought of them putting an IV in me and they had to reschedule and give me a prescription to take valium before my procedure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341 ... 619  Next