| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341 ... 619  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:26 am 
Offline
Fair trade, organic mistletoe
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 3507
Location: Toronto
Doc A, that is horrifying. I'm so sorry this is happening.

_________________
"I'd rather have dried catshit! I'd rather have astroturf! I'd rather have an igloo!"~Isa

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:23 pm 
Online
Impressive boner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:57 pm
Posts: 3998
Location: Nottingham.
Paloma wrote:
8ball wrote:
I really don't need to have a 'one thing after another' series of episodes here.

When I was in the middle of moving house/refurbishment of hell, I liked to pretend that I was in a comedy TV series about someone experiencing a house-related crisis. My friends and I would even play this song aloud while DIY-ing, because that song makes just about anything funny, really.

So yeah, revel in the bad luck for a bit, and see the irony of it. It's the only way to survive housing stuff, because this sort of recurring shiitake (see what I did there?) is enough to drive any person batshit insane, in my opinion.


Thanks Paloma, and thanks for the adorable pup :)

The drainage has been fixed (for the time being!), the leaky pipe has been replaced and I'm over a mild case of carbon monoxide poisoning. I took a day's emergency holiday to wait in for the plumber, so I've been sat on the sofa most of the day. It's not all bad after all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:24 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:35 pm
Posts: 6588
Location: Norristown, PA
Another miserable, pointless, unhelpful eye doctor appointment. I think it's time to find a new doctor again. It's really infuriating how frequently I have to explain to doctors how to do their job because they're not capable of doing it themselves and think somehow that I won't notice. I had to wait a month for this appointment, too. forking hell.

_________________
Man, fork the gender card, imma come at you with the whole damned gender deck. - Olives
Did you ever think that, like, YOU are a sexy costume FOR a diva cup? - solipsistnation
blog! FB!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:28 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:51 am
Posts: 2770
Gulliver wrote:
We had a French group come round where I work (historic house open to public), and as I have a French degree I was roped in to help. Now, my French is very rusty and was hardly fluent to begin with... but never mind. I had looked up some French names for things that might be relevant and done a little cheat sheet that I thought might be useful.

Apparently, I was expected to lead the forking tour and do an introductory talk. Something I haven't even done in English. I might have been able to cope with it if I knew about it before I entered the room... but no. I was introduced with "This is Gulliver. He speaks fluent French. He speaks very quietly so tell him if you can't hear him. He will now give you a talk."

Because who needs to feel confident when speaking to a group unprepared in a foreign language? Oh yeah - me.

Needless to say, my mind went totally blank and I felt like a fool.

Sigh.

I was once teaching a cooking class and I was told there would be someone there to translate my English to Spanish. I can say hola, and that's about it. Well, there was no translator. I felt horrible that half the class couldn't understand me. I feel your pain.

I haven't been able to sleep. The baby has started sleeping and now I can't.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:08 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3620
Location: Nashville, TN
It's very frustrating that my husband isn't working right now, and I still have to come home after work and clean the kitchen, because he's been playing video games all day. It would be different if he was down there filling out job applications all day, but he'll spend 5 minutes job searching and an hour doing "fun" things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:37 pm 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:27 am
Posts: 1450
Location: Oakland
They're doing construction in the space below and next to my office, so I have been listening to periodic VERY LOUD drilling all day. And this is going to be ongoing until September.

I can't wait for vacation next week.

_________________
Formerly herbstsonne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:56 pm 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:04 am
Posts: 2393
Location: UK
Downscaling my job is turning out to be nowhere near as easy as the Powers That Be assured me it would be. I feel like everything is falling into place on top of me.

_________________
Everyone turns into Boo Radley, if they live long enough ~ seitanicverses


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:05 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:15 am
Posts: 1529
creep wrote:
It's very frustrating that my husband isn't working right now, and I still have to come home after work and clean the kitchen, because he's been playing video games all day. It would be different if he was down there filling out job applications all day, but he'll spend 5 minutes job searching and an hour doing "fun" things.

Omg! Are you planning to talk to him? I would feel so resentful if my guy did that!

_________________
"One time I meant to send a potential employer a resume, but I accidentally sent them a bucket of puke!

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:20 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:36 am
Posts: 263
My boyfriend left to work in switzerland for the summer (which is actually a great thing and I am extremely happy for him but just missing him!) and I am looking online for publishing jobs and internships and it's making me feel like I'm never going to get one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:24 pm 
Offline
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:35 pm
Posts: 6588
Location: Norristown, PA
Never mind, an even worse thing happened. I had made a custom-made crocheted hat for a friend of a friend, and waited too long to send it to her because I was waiting to have several packages to send all at the same time, and that took much longer than I thought it would. Today I found out that she died before I could send the package. I don't even care about the money...I'm just really sad, like, I hardly knew her, but she was super super sweet about the whole thing and I know she really wanted this hat, and now I feel like a crasshole because if I had just mailed it to her in a suitably timely manner, she would have had it before she died, but...now she's dead and she'll never get to see this hat.

_________________
Man, fork the gender card, imma come at you with the whole damned gender deck. - Olives
Did you ever think that, like, YOU are a sexy costume FOR a diva cup? - solipsistnation
blog! FB!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:26 pm 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:03 pm
Posts: 2219
Location: I can't believe it's not England!
choirqueer wrote:
Never mind, an even worse thing happened. I had made a custom-made crocheted hat for a friend of a friend, and waited too long to send it to her because I was waiting to have several packages to send all at the same time, and that took much longer than I thought it would. Today I found out that she died before I could send the package. I don't even care about the money...I'm just really sad, like, I hardly knew her, but she was super super sweet about the whole thing and I know she really wanted this hat, and now I feel like a crasshole because if I had just mailed it to her in a suitably timely manner, she would have had it before she died, but...now she's dead and she'll never get to see this hat.


Oh, *hugs* I'm so sorry CQ.

_________________
"Vegan to me means Oreos for breakfast." -Poopiebitch
"tl;dr: I quit working to drink beer paid for with gift cards" erikasoyf*cker


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:45 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:16 pm
Posts: 3807
Location: Panama City, Florida
If it helps any CQ, a hat is probably not someone's last regret.

_________________
etsy shop: teeny tiny tantrums


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:27 am 
Online
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:15 pm
Posts: 2423
Thanks to Facebook I know that my roommate/one of my best friends is hanging out with my ex-girlfriend who was a huge crasshole to me right now and even though I went on a really good date tonight I HATE that they hang out.

_________________
"No one with hair so soft and glossy could ever be bad at anything." - Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:06 am 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 2238
Location: Wet and Windy Wiltshire
choirqueer wrote:
Never mind, an even worse thing happened. I had made a custom-made crocheted hat for a friend of a friend, and waited too long to send it to her because I was waiting to have several packages to send all at the same time, and that took much longer than I thought it would. Today I found out that she died before I could send the package. I don't even care about the money...I'm just really sad, like, I hardly knew her, but she was super super sweet about the whole thing and I know she really wanted this hat, and now I feel like a crasshole because if I had just mailed it to her in a suitably timely manner, she would have had it before she died, but...now she's dead and she'll never get to see this hat.
Aww!

I once leant lent some tapes (waaaay back) to someone who died and consequently never gave them back. It doesn't bother me at all, but it's always something that was kind of left hanging there... But he didn't die of possessing too many tapes and she didn't die of an absence of hats. But... yeah...

_________________
dropscone - "Ack, I'm no help, I just like to imagine as many people as possible eating roast potatoes."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:49 am 
Offline
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:56 pm
Posts: 4019
Location: Brighton, England.
Creep that sucks!! You should definitely talk to him about it, a few years ago Nick wasn't working and he'd just play video games all day, do nothing about applying for jobs and then when I got home from work I'd end up cooking, cleaning, doing laundry etc. Not cool!!

My worst thing: I bumped into an old friend / ex boyfriend at a gig last night & found out that he was badly beaten up right near my house recently. He was in intensive care for 2 weeks, he almost died & the police are treating it as attempted murder. What the fork is wrong with people? How could someone do that? I feel super shitty that I didn't know & couldn't be there for him but at the same time I stopped being friends with him for some pretty good reasons & being back in contact with him is already confusing & I don't know whether I should really hang out with him again or not.

Also yesterday I managed to fork up my shoulder whilst excercising, I shouldn't have gone out & danced at the gig because it made it SO MUCH WORSE. I only slept for about 3 hours last night because I couldn't find a comfy position & I can't really move my head or use my left arm. Nick's at work and I can't even get dressed because it hurts so much. I've taken codeine, paracetamol & ibuprofen & they're doing NOTHING.

_________________
Blog: Vegan.In.Brighton
Not-For-Profit Bakery: Operation Icing
Twitter: @veganinbrighton


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:51 am 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:50 am
Posts: 214
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
My brother is being a total crasshole.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:00 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3620
Location: Nashville, TN
Jigglypuff wrote:
creep wrote:
It's very frustrating that my husband isn't working right now, and I still have to come home after work and clean the kitchen, because he's been playing video games all day. It would be different if he was down there filling out job applications all day, but he'll spend 5 minutes job searching and an hour doing "fun" things.

Omg! Are you planning to talk to him? I would feel so resentful if my guy did that!


Oh yeah. He gets defensive and does the "But I didn't ask you to clean it. I would've cleaned it later." But until "later," the kitchen is still dirty. And his version of cleaning is doing like 75% and leaving the rest. WHY DON'T YOU JUST DO IT ALL?

So anything I do that he doesn't ask me to do doesn't count or something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:19 am 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:03 am
Posts: 1307
Location: Nova Scotia
creep wrote:
Oh yeah. He gets defensive and does the "But I didn't ask you to clean it. I would've cleaned it later." But until "later," the kitchen is still dirty. And his version of cleaning is doing like 75% and leaving the rest. WHY DON'T YOU JUST DO IT ALL?

So anything I do that he doesn't ask me to do doesn't count or something.


Well that sounds familiar. I started treating mine like a child - not in a nasty way, not talking down to him but just starting from the assumption that he had no clue what I was talking about. Giving him specific and exact instructions, giving him a time deadline ("When I get home from work I want to cook dinner so I need to have the kitchen cleaned up sompletely by 5:30"), using "I" statements ("When you ___ I feel _____").

It should work for a reasonable person, especially if he cares about you and doesn't want you to feel hurt, and realizes he is getting something from it too.

None of it worked for me and I finally DTMF.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:33 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 2536
Location: Connecticut
creep wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:
creep wrote:
It's very frustrating that my husband isn't working right now, and I still have to come home after work and clean the kitchen, because he's been playing video games all day. It would be different if he was down there filling out job applications all day, but he'll spend 5 minutes job searching and an hour doing "fun" things.

Omg! Are you planning to talk to him? I would feel so resentful if my guy did that!


Oh yeah. He gets defensive and does the "But I didn't ask you to clean it. I would've cleaned it later." But until "later," the kitchen is still dirty. And his version of cleaning is doing like 75% and leaving the rest. WHY DON'T YOU JUST DO IT ALL?

So anything I do that he doesn't ask me to do doesn't count or something.

That's such bullshiitake! Especially if they're the kind of messes that could attract ants, "later" isn't really good enough.

_________________
"I never do anything you say, Isa. When I cook from VWAV and it says to add one cup of flour, I add three cups of olive oil! Now who wants some forking muffins??"-ExpiredSanity
Tumblr
Cast Iron & Cupcakes
I guess I have a Twitter now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:44 am 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 2845
Arisaig wrote:
creep wrote:
Oh yeah. He gets defensive and does the "But I didn't ask you to clean it. I would've cleaned it later." But until "later," the kitchen is still dirty. And his version of cleaning is doing like 75% and leaving the rest. WHY DON'T YOU JUST DO IT ALL?

So anything I do that he doesn't ask me to do doesn't count or something.


Well that sounds familiar. I started treating mine like a child - not in a nasty way, not talking down to him but just starting from the assumption that he had no clue what I was talking about. Giving him specific and exact instructions, giving him a time deadline ("When I get home from work I want to cook dinner so I need to have the kitchen cleaned up sompletely by 5:30"), using "I" statements ("When you ___ I feel _____").

It should work for a reasonable person, especially if he cares about you and doesn't want you to feel hurt, and realizes he is getting something from it too.

None of it worked for me and I finally DTMF.


Me too. In all seriousness, me doing almost all the household work in addition to being the only one working AND the only one going to school (and my partner was long-term unemployed as well) did contribute a LOT to my divorce. So, I'd make it a priority to sort out now, with counseling if necessary.

_________________
Mal: We're still flying.
Simon: That's not much.
Mal: It's enough.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:51 am 
Offline
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:29 pm
Posts: 6045
Location: Land of Maple and Beavers
Creep, my husband does that sometimes, too. I'll wait and wait and wait for him to do something like wipe down the counters after he left coffee grinds on it, and then I'll finally get angry and do it, and he'll be all, "I was just going to do it!" Like hell you were.

_________________
Did you notice the slight feeling of panic at the words "Chicken Basin Street"? Like someone was walking over your grave? Try not to remember. We must never remember. - mumbles
Is this about devilberries and nazifruit again? - footface


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:50 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2590
Location: England
One of the people I interviewed today cried when I told her she didn't get the job. I hate that.

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:49 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:15 pm
Posts: 1110
Location: Bull City, NC
New gas tank + tire realignment because they had to take the axles off to get to the tank + new hydraulic thingies to keep the trunk up == $1800

Aw yeah.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:58 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 18749
Location: Cliffbar NJ
Asked a friend for the book she borrowed over a year ago, and she replied that she thought that she had returned the book to me and bought her own. I said she hadn't and she now seems skeptical and annoyed.

Lesson learned.

_________________
But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:24 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:49 pm
Posts: 2123
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Went to get my wisdom teeth taken out this morning, instead had a really bad panic attack in the office at the thought of them putting an IV in me and they had to reschedule and give me a prescription to take valium before my procedure.

_________________
Louzilla Lovegood Letters | Dumbledore's Vegan Army
Don't have a cow, man.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341 ... 619  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 8ball, Google [Bot], lepelaar, supercarrot and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer