| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 982, 983, 984, 985, 986, 987, 988 ... 1769  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:46 pm 
Hip Goiter

I miss Broadwayyyy.

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:36 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Going to the gym, going to the bar... It's practically the same thing, right?

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:58 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I will not get sick before my vacation. I will not get sick before my vacation. I WILL NOT forking GET forking SICK BEFORE MY forking VACATION.

Edit: Aaaaand this was actually maygles, not vegimator. Whoops. That's what I get for using his computer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:37 pm 
Chard Martyr

ijustdiedinside wrote:
random thought: it would be kind of funny to have a vegan bakery that had one token non vegan cupcake.

That was totally a thing here! A cupcakery started out vegan and then they created "man cakes" which had real bacon in them. Then they went out of business. So...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

I am completely losing my patience with people. My best friend has this awful roommate who is just a terrible, terrible person and is really mean to my best friend. My friend had their internet connection named "TARDIS" which is from Doctor Who, and her roommate knows how much my friend loves that show, but her and her sometimesboyfriend decided to rename it "retardus" and laugh at her. I am THIS damn close to confronting her and telling her that she is an awful person and needs to stop bullying my friend(s).

And while I was walking to her apartment today there was this little dog outside who was barking at a larger dog. The girl holding the little dog kept yanking it by its leash every once in a while and tossing it, then would drag the dog by its neck (on the leash) down the road and then yank it really hard again while yelling at it. I yelled at her and told her she was going to hurt the dog like that and she gave me an "I don't give a shiitake" look. I stood there and watched her until she went into her apartment and she kept turning around and looking at me. If she had done it just one more time I was going to grab that dog and/or call the police. Now I'm going to have a difficult time getting this out of my head and I have to walk by this place again tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:21 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

SO my roommates boyfriend was totally hanging out and chatting with us while in his underwear this morning. Just sayin'.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:00 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Ahhh monkeytoes, that looks so rad!

Mr. Shankly, I'm always baffled by people who still think that "rhubarbed" is a legitimate insult or funny at all. Your friend's roommate sounds like a real winner.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:04 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

vegimator wrote:
I will not get sick before my vacation. I will not get sick before my vacation. I WILL NOT forking GET forking SICK BEFORE MY forking VACATION.

Edit: Aaaaand this was actually maygles, not vegimator. Whoops. That's what I get for using his computer.

hahaha, I was like Vegimator is going with her??

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm on my own for 40 days as my boyfriend goes travelling round Burma and Thailand and Cambodia.

Boo for me, yay for him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:27 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've been sitting in my gym clothes for half an hour trying to get motivated to leave the house. It was sunny when I sat down too (for one brief shining moment) and now it looks like it's getting ready to peas down again.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:38 am 
Impressive boner

Gulliver wrote:
I'm on my own for 40 days as my boyfriend goes travelling round Burma and Thailand and Cambodia.

Boo for me, yay for him.

Are there any things that you've been wanting to do for yourself or by yourself? If so perhaps you could use this opportunity to do so. Whenever Mr8 goes away I like to scrub the house from top to bottom, do lots of exercise and spend extra time doing stuff with my sister.

A really great local band had their final gig last night and I'm saddened by this.
I know there's probably a multitude of reasons for the split, but I can't help feeling that promotion/management was a contributing factor. They were championed inside the city but not outside it. They should have been getting gigs and coverage in other parts of the country but weren't. I feel like their manager should have been doing more for them - isn't that what managers are for? Also it has me wondering who will become the manager's 'baby' now? Will they suffer a similar fate?

The bands from this area who do get around are ones who manage themselves, but nobody in the city seems to know who they are. It reinforces why everyone in my band wants to stay DIY.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:34 am 

Aughhhrgh. Sore throat has not gone away. It has that nasty infection taste too. Fuuuuck I don't want to go to the doctor for literally just ONE symptom! But it's so bothersome it's making it hard to sleep! I just remembered the gargling with salt water thing... That's supposed to help right? Any other tips?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:18 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

8ball wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

Boo for me, yay for him.

Are there any things that you've been wanting to do for yourself or by yourself? If so perhaps you could use this opportunity to do so. Whenever Mr8 goes away I like to scrub the house from top to bottom, do lots of exercise and spend extra time doing stuff with my sister.

A really great local band had their final gig last night and I'm saddened by this.
I know there's probably a multitude of reasons for the split, but I can't help feeling that promotion/management was a contributing factor. They were championed inside the city but not outside it. They should have been getting gigs and coverage in other parts of the country but weren't. I feel like their manager should have been doing more for them - isn't that what managers are for? Also it has me wondering who will become the manager's 'baby' now? Will they suffer a similar fate?

The bands from this area who do get around are ones who manage themselves, but nobody in the city seems to know who they are. It reinforces why everyone in my band wants to stay DIY.

This really does not go with any other topic, but I just had to tell you that I just realized that when you talk about your partner as "Mr8", I get this song stuck in my head, and the reason is that when I was a little kid and heard this song on the radio, I misheard the lyrics as "I guess it's Mister Eight" instead of "I guess it's a mystery", and when I heard the song I always would imagine a man named Mister Eight hiding in the shadows so nobody knew he was around.

Okay, back to your irregular unscheduled deprogramming.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:41 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

How does one go about learning to sing well? It's something I've always wished I could do, but when I sing it sounds like someone is harassing a cow.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:11 am 
Chip Strong

choirqueer wrote:
8ball wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

Boo for me, yay for him.

This really does not go with any other topic, but I just had to tell you that I just realized that when you talk about your partner as "Mr8", I get this song stuck in my head, and the reason is that when I was a little kid and heard this song on the radio, I misheard the lyrics as "I guess it's Mister Eight" instead of "I guess it's a mystery", and when I heard the song I always would imagine a man named Mister Eight hiding in the shadows so nobody knew he was around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpGEIf_rcTg

When I listened to that I couldn't hear them say "I guess it's a mystery", I could only hear "like the deserts miss the rain". It did sound like "I guess it's Mister Eight" in places.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

GreenDuck wrote:
choirqueer wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpGEIf_rcTg

When I listened to that I couldn't hear them say "I guess it's a mystery", I could only hear "like the deserts miss the rain". It did sound like "I guess it's Mister Eight" in places.

Yeah, if that's the line you're talking about, the line is "like the deserts miss the rain". But it does kinda sound like "I guess it's Mr Eight".

I just spent a couple of hours cleaning. I feel better now. I mean, I hate cleaning, but RandiJM is coming round next weekend (hooray!), so I felt like getting some of the bigger things done now. So the floors are clean, and I hoovered the carpets and upholstery (which I have to do weekly now that we have a cat). And Mike did some dishes - yay!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:55 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Gulliver wrote:
How does one go about learning to sing well? It's something I've always wished I could do, but when I sing it sounds like someone is harassing a cow.

My Granddad used to give singing lessons. He always said that if you can hear yourself sing badly you can be taught, but if when you sing it sounds great but other people tell you it's bad, it means you're tone deaf and can't be taught. I'm tone deaf apparently because I sound AMAZING when I sing, but other people seem to wince and cover their ears, and my husband says I'm the worst singer in the world.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:00 am 
Dead by dawn

Efcliz wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

My Granddad used to give singing lessons. He always said that if you can hear yourself sing badly you can be taught, but if when you sing it sounds great but other people tell you it's bad, it means you're tone deaf and can't be taught. I'm tone deaf apparently because I sound AMAZING when I sing, but other people seem to wince and cover their ears, and my husband says I'm the worst singer in the world.

Haha, my mom told me once that she thought I must be tone deaf but no, I can hear perfectly well what an awful singer I am. It turns out that, hearing wise anyway, I have near perfect pitch. I just can't produce the sound I know is right.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:42 am 

It takes time and lots of practice. Get some singing lessons! Also, Gulliver, I think the month without your partner would go by much faster in Portland!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

If you pay for my tickets, accommodation, insurance and sustenance, I'm there! Otherwise, I don't think I can afford it. Also, my kitties would miss me.

Singing - I don't think I'm tone-deaf in that I can hear that I'm off. I just don't know how to amend it. Like, I don't know how to physically modulate my vocal organs to make sounds that sound like I want them to sound (which is odd, given that I'm mid-way though a masters in linguistics so I know how the sounds are made, just not how to make the sounds). Sadly, I think this would cost money as well...

I might be buying a cheap guitar and I've started reading Chinese grammars, because that's the way I roll, baby. I might finish my wooden sword, as well.

Oh, and go to the gym and get brawnier. This also means I can live off wheat meat, peanut butter and ice cream for the next month because there's no one to around to see that I'm not eating like an adult. Mwahahaha.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jojo wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
I'm almost off for that wedding tomorrow!
I packed two half-read books for the trip - and as many homemade seitan sausages and small packets of soymilk as would fit in my bag. And some muesli bars. (I deliberately chose the largest bag that will still look somewhat stylish and handbag-y. It's one of those: http://alchemygoods.com/ravenna.html)
Wish me luck! My best guess so far is that I'll get a small green salad and maybe some plain rice or potatoes. And I might get terribly drunk.

Good luck!! Don't forget to let us know what they feed you! Thanks for the bag link too, this is exactly the kinda bag I've been looking for http://alchemygoods.com/pine.html

Yay! I love their bags.

And I survived! I had lots and lots and lots of beer, and there wasn't a single leaf of lettuce or grain of rice in sight. So I lost my own bet. I had chanterelles and fried polenta and some steamed veggies on the side, and all in all it wasn't half bad. One more wedding ticked off. (And now I'm back home with my kitties who really missed me.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:48 pm 
Hip Goiter

monkeytoes wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

Haha, my mom told me once that she thought I must be tone deaf but no, I can hear perfectly well what an awful singer I am. It turns out that, hearing wise anyway, I have near perfect pitch. I just can't produce the sound I know is right.

Same with me! Gulliver I want to take lessons too. I used to be quite good* but I haven't sung since college and I destroyed my voice sing (so it sounds/feels). Let's take lessons and challenge choirqueer to the singing equivalent of a dance-off like in Step Up and maybe Channing Tatum will show up with his shirt off.

*did you see what I did there bc you're in the UK too yeahhh I'm learning!

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:17 pm 

Yeah, not knowing how to make your voice do the good sounds is normal! And singing lessons really can teach that kind of thing! Y'all should do it!

P.S. Gulliver, in my dreams I'm totally buying you a plane ticket right now!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:20 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

RandiJM wrote:

Same with me! Gulliver I want to take lessons too. I used to be quite good* but I haven't sung since college and I destroyed my voice sing (so it sounds/feels). Let's take lessons and challenge choirqueer to the singing equivalent of a dance-off like in Step Up and maybe Channing Tatum will show up with his shirt off.

*did you see what I did there bc you're in the UK too yeahhh I'm learning!

PPKIdol???

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:49 pm 
Impressive boner

When I'm struggling with a particular key or style of singing I'll choose a song I love in that emulated what I want to do and practice howling along to it until I've either trained my vocal chords or given myself a bit of a sore throat.

The Kathleen Hanna screech is taking a looooooong time to do.

Reply to topic  [ 44225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 982, 983, 984, 985, 986, 987, 988 ... 1769  Next