| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Support & "Did they SERIOUSLY just say that???" group
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:35 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

teppiedoo wrote:
Ok, you win, that is way worse! Peanut butter?!

I ran into this when I was a vegetarian through middle/high school. I was eating some, and a classmate started telling me I wasn't really a vegetarian if I was eating peanut butter. I asked why, and she said because it has protein in it. Apparently, vegetarian/vegan means no protein.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:34 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Jigglypuff wrote:
That one I can kinda understand, but what really gets me is when people ask me if I can eat peanut butter. My mom even did this recently, and she's mostly vegan herself!
I get this All. The. Time. I can't figure out if it's because the word "butter" in the name "peanut butter" makes some people assume there's acutally dairy butter in there, or if peanut allergies are like gluten-free where they just get lumped together with the vegans and the celiacs into one big "special diet" group. It makes me wonder if people ask GF-ers if they can have cheese or the peanut-allergic if they can eat pasta.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:11 pm 

I think it's the word butter. Some TV chef did a program where they went around a supermarket asking people what percentage of butter they thought was in peanut butter- obviously they showed all the silly wrong people, but a LOT of people thought it had butter in.

Although someone today was reading out a list of ingredients to see if I could share his snack and though I stopped him on whey powder, he continued and seemed more worried by the gluten-y things. He may have got me confused with one of the other volunteers who can't eat gluten I suppose.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:23 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

My sister recently asked me if I could eat rice and got totally embarrassed when I asked her which animal she thought rice came from! I also had a friend of my in laws ask if the yellow nail polish I had on was "part of the vegan thing". So I guess if your nails aren't painted that colour, you aren't vegan. Sorry to tell you all that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:58 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh jeez. So I have to actually paint my nails? Because I chip them about three seconds after painting them and I do a sloppy job anyways. Not to mention the fact that if I wear anything yellow, it immediately does weird things to my skin coloration.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:56 pm 

Hey, if you want to be in the club.....

Also, according to another friend of my in laws, it's actually pronounced 'vayyyyygun'. It's really nice when people who don't know what the hell they are talking about correct you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:35 pm 
Semen Strong

muffinpants wrote:
Also, according to another friend of my in laws, it's actually pronounced 'vayyyyygun'. It's really nice when people who don't know what the hell they are talking about correct you.

I kinda wish vegan rhymed with raygun.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I totally confused a coworker yesterday when she was talking about candy bars. She thought I'd never eaten one before. Seems like she thought I was born a vegan (because honestly, who would make the decision to voluntarily live this way?).
Also, Go Maxx Go baby!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:55 am 

I don't encounter much weirdness, but the thing I regularly experience is people drawing a total blank when I tell them I'm vegan.

I see the life in their eyes disappear and they give me this spinning beachball of death-look. They just cannot comprehend what veganism is. They see my lips move, they hear me explain, but the concept of not using any animal products sounds so strange to them, that they pretty much refuse to believe me. They hear me say "no animal products", but their brain just does not compute. And that's the point where they start to create their own impression of what veganism must in fact be, because no sane person avoids animal products entirely, so I probably just used a weird word to explain that I am in fact vegetarian/glutenfree/lactose intolerant/difficult/on a diet/fussy.

I swear, sometimes I can hear their brains creaking with the strain of trying to grasp what I'm telling them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:58 am 

Tofulish wrote:
muffinpants wrote:
Fact time! The pronunciation /ˈveɪɡən/ (rhymes with [Ronald] Reagan) originally referred to the fictional inhabitants of the solar system of the star Vegan. This usage predates "our" usage by about four years and appeared in Thrilling Wonder Stories in tale A Novel of a Vegan Visitor.

Quote:
Halfway between Earth and Venus there was a sudden shimmer as the Vegan ship slipped out of warp into normal space.

Quote:
The Vegan relaxed for a moment as its eyes readjusted themselves; then its antennae snapped erect and began to sway slowly in the simple patterns of the sign language of its race.

Just thought y'all would like that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:01 am 

Ok, so he wasn't just being a dick! He just assumed that the Thanksgiving dinner I made came from outer space! I feel so foolish and judgmental now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:26 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I think I told ya'll this before, but I'll share again anyway.

A year or so ago, I was at a work-related luncheon. The woman sitting next to me was asking the usual questions about veganism: do I eat dairy, what about fish...things like that. Then she asked me if fish are animals. I know that Judaism and Catholicism have confused the issue of whether or not fish is meat, but I thought it was an indisputable fact that fish are animals.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:35 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Tzippy wrote:
I think I told ya'll this before, but I'll share again anyway.

A year or so ago, I was at a work-related luncheon. The woman sitting next to me was asking the usual questions about veganism: do I eat dairy, what about fish...things like that. Then she asked me if fish are animals. I know that Judaism and Catholicism have confused the issue of whether or not fish is meat, but I thought it was an indisputable fact that fish are animals.

My husband's friend told him that fish were not animals because "they don't got no bones"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:31 am 
***LIES!!!***

I hang out almost exclusively with Jews and Catholics, so I get the "but don't you eat fish?" question pretty much constantly. People don't seem to be confused that fish = animals, they just think that fish /=/ "meat," fish is some kind of neutral, basic thing that all people eat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:46 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Gulliver wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
muffinpants wrote:
Fact time! The pronunciation /ˈveɪɡən/ (rhymes with [Ronald] Reagan) originally referred to the fictional inhabitants of the solar system of the star Vegan. This usage predates "our" usage by about four years and appeared in Thrilling Wonder Stories in tale A Novel of a Vegan Visitor.

Quote:
Halfway between Earth and Venus there was a sudden shimmer as the Vegan ship slipped out of warp into normal space.

Quote:
The Vegan relaxed for a moment as its eyes readjusted themselves; then its antennae snapped erect and began to sway slowly in the simple patterns of the sign language of its race.

Just thought y'all would like that.

Don't mind me while I put on my pedantic hat. (And I only do this because I get the sense you're not averse to some pedanticism. Plus it gives me an excuse to use this cool illustration I've been holding onto for a while.) The star was actually called Vega; it's the demonym that's Vegan.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:26 pm 
Impressive boner

I love how he's a pretty muscular chap. That'll show those who think all vegans are ectomorphs!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:41 pm 
Inflexitarian

Ariann wrote:
I hang out almost exclusively with Jews and Catholics, so I get the "but don't you eat fish?" question pretty much constantly. People don't seem to be confused that fish = animals, they just think that fish /=/ "meat," fish is some kind of neutral, basic thing that all people eat.

I had somebody actually get angry at me when I told them I was going vegan. She thought it meant I was going to start eating a disproportionate amount of fish and thereby contribute to overfishing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:58 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Tea wrote:
Ariann wrote:

I had somebody actually get angry at me when I told them I was going vegan. She thought it meant I was going to start eating a disproportionate amount of fish and thereby contribute to overfishing.

The first time I ever heard of veganism, it was someone who ate fish but no other animal products. I don't remember what exactly their justification was (I was a little kid at the time), but it made me think for a long time that veganism was ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:19 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My boyfriend's sister became a vegetarian recently and their brother asked her why and she said "honestly because of that conversation you guys had a few months ago where you tried to convince Russell (my boyfriend) to eat meat." a conversation where my boyfriend's brother and dad tried to convince my boyfriend to not eat meat turned her into a vegetarian HA.

My boyfriend's dad got all huffy the other night because he got veggie burgers and dogs at the grocery store and the veggie burgers he got had eggs in them. My boyfriend told him and he was so mad. I was completely polite about it and happy with my veggie dog, but really you're going to be annoyed at me because you don't know how to read a label? I appreciate the gesture thank you so much! but please act like an adult.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:43 am 

lepelaar wrote:
Don't mind me while I put on my pedantic hat. (And I only do this because I get the sense you're not averse to some pedanticism. Plus it gives me an excuse to use this cool illustration I've been holding onto for a while.) The star was actually called Vega; it's the demonym that's Vegan.

Poocrumbs! I know it's Vega but type like a drunk octopus on a pogo stick.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:44 am 

Gulliver wrote:
lepelaar wrote:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/ ... 6cfd5a.jpg

Poocrumbs! I know it's Vega but type like a drunk octopus on a pogo stick.

Best simile.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:19 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

If there is an intelligent race in the real Vega system, that would be so awkward if they came to earth and integrated into our society, but did not follow a vegan diet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:08 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

People mix up animals and plants all the time, dont they?
coworker: So you cant have coconut MILK.
Me: That's right, I refuse to eat anything that comes from the coconut-animal.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:33 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

It's just part of people's general cluelessness about what is in food. My friend thought rice milk was cow's milk with bits of rice in it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:30 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I think maybe it's because so few people really cook anymore. It seems like a lot of people on here cook frequently and are good at it, but most of my omni friends either live on convenience foods or the typical grilled meat with blah vegetables and maybe a sad salad. I bring food to parties and things and they look at me like I have four heads when I say the vegetables are so green because I've blanched them or something like that. They don't have the slightest clue what I'm talking about.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next