| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wedding Gift help
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:35 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Hi all.

A friend of mine is getting married (having a civil partnership) in July.

We are old university friends who recently became reacquainted through FB. We have met up and had fun days out since, but I have never met his partner and am not going to the wedding. I have been invited to the informal meal afterwards but I am on holiday anyway.

I would like to send them a gift but am lacking in ideas. I have never been to their flat, so have no idea really about their tastes. For my friend's
birthday I sent him a copy of Viva Vegan which he was very pleased with (he is vegan, his partner is omni). They are going to New York on their
honeymoon so I wondered whether I could get them something they could use or do there.

I'd rather send nothing than an obvious copout such as a shop voucher. Nothing will be expected, they don't have a list or anything. But if I (you) could think
of anything quirky or fun that I could send, I would like to do it.

Any ideas, PPK?

Post subject: Re: Wedding Gift help
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:44 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

You said no shop vouchers (gift certificates, right?) but for their trip to NY, maybe you could get them a gift card for NYC restaurant (if you know what kind of food they are into) or buy them tickets to MOMA. Lots of museums are "suggested donation" here, but MOMA is expensive at $20+ per ticket, so that could be a cool gift. i was also thinking that you could get them each a metrocard to ride the subway, but I dont know of any way to buy them and have them mailed to you, so that wouldn't really work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:49 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Efcliz wrote:
Hi all.

A friend of mine is getting married (having a civil partnership) in July.

We are old university friends who recently became reacquainted through FB. We have met up and had fun days out since, but I have never met his partner and am not going to the wedding. I have been invited to the informal meal afterwards but I am on holiday anyway.

I would like to send them a gift but am lacking in ideas. I have never been to their flat, so have no idea really about their tastes. For my friend's
birthday I sent him a copy of Viva Vegan which he was very pleased with (he is vegan, his partner is omni). They are going to New York on their
honeymoon so I wondered whether I could get them something they could use or do there.

I'd rather send nothing than an obvious copout such as a shop voucher. Nothing will be expected, they don't have a list or anything. But if I (you) could think
of anything quirky or fun that I could send, I would like to do it.

Any ideas, PPK?

What about asking them what they would like you to get? I think the whole idea of a gift having to be a surprise is kinda overrated. If they tell you what they'd like, then you know you're giving them something they want!

Maybe they'd like tickets to a show? You could figure out how much you could afford to spend, find what tickets are available in that price range, and then tell them they can choose which of those shows they'd like to see and you'll buy the tickets.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:53 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I wouldn't buy something for their honeymoon unless you know they are really hard-up for cash and will be scrimping on the honeymoon or you speak to them first and get something that they are definitely interested in. You have no clue what they will be doing there and it would be a total waste if they decided that they didn't want to eat at the restaurant or see the show you chose (or if they felt obligated to even if they didn't want to).

I'm terrible at giving gifts and usually end up giving alcohol (with nice glasses if it is a gift that requires more than just the bottle) or something like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:08 am 

I suddenly thought that I know they have booked to go to one of the Candle places, so I could get a voucher that they could use there, but you can't do it online and I have irrational fear of telephoning internationally and I don't know if they'd be prepared to post a voucher abroad. If I pluck up the courage I might try that.

I don't want to ask them what they want because I know they'll say nothing. That's why I'd rather get nothing than not get the right thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:11 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I like to buy boardgames for people, since it's an activity the couple can do together. Include the receipt, and they can exchange it if they'd like.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Are they registered anywhere? It should say on the invite.

Art is always a great wedding gift if you are not attending the ceremony/reception. It is something they will be able to keep forever and display in their home. Etsy has amazing art that is not a million dollars or you can check out some local galleries near you or festivals.

A visa gift card would be nice since they are travelling to another country for their honeymoon. It can be used internationally and they could spend it on a dinner out or something.

You could call the hotel they are staying at in NY (if you can get the info) and have them send a bouquet of flowers and a bottle of champagne to the suite on the day/night of their arrival. That would be an awesome treat to get!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:42 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

If you know they are going to one of the Candle restaurants, you could get them the Candle 79 cookbook. It would be nice for anticipating their meal and remembering later.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:19 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Maybe you could put together a basket of fancy/rare/exciting food ingredients? Or if they love Viva Vegan, even some hard-to-find stuff if you happen to have access to it. And maybe add a bottle of good wine? I dunno, I feel like if I were ever to receive gifts after asking for none, I'd most appreciate food and wine, since it's what I spend all my money on!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:52 pm 

The Candle cookbook is a great idea!!!!!! I think we did it for Vine and Dine, so maybe one of the bottles of wine we did with one of the recipes too!!! Coool!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:55 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

vijita wrote:
I dunno, I feel like if I were ever to receive gifts after asking for none, I'd most appreciate food and wine, since it's what I spend all my money on!

+1! I mean, even if they happened to not like the kind of wine you got them, it's always handy to have wine around for parties etc!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:57 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

GraciaKai wrote:
You could call the hotel they are staying at in NY (if you can get the info) and have them send a bouquet of flowers and a bottle of champagne to the suite on the day/night of their arrival. That would be an awesome treat to get!

This idea though I love the most! :) Though probably just a flower arrangement is better, since these are both kind of expensive things!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Mars wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:

This idea though I love the most! :) Though probably just a flower arrangement is better, since these are both kind of expensive things!

True! I just remember that when I went to Mexico to get married they knew we were coming for that and we had a honeymoon suite, so we had a champagne toast upon arrival. It was very nice. And then on the day of the wedding when we got back to our room there were rose petals every where and fresh flowers. Hotels are used to making these arrangements for their quests if they know about it ahead of time.