| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lets talk about our workplace!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:13 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The last place I worked was a vitamin manufacturing company. It was interesting because I did support both for the offices and the (co-located) factory and warehouse. It's the first time i'd ever worked somewhere where something was being "made" and I liked that aspect of it. Also, all the free vegan gummies I could eat.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:15 pm 
Chard Martyr

Mars wrote:
lycophyte wrote:
I'm a park ranger so my workspace changes from day to day! Some days I'm in the valley visitor centers answering questions, some days I'm in the office (which is very unexciting 70's faux wood paneling with old cruddy furniture), but then other days I'm out hiking and looking off of mountain tops or hanging out at the campground or working with kids. Vehicles smell like mouse poop, and there are lots of spiders in the offices.

So it can be super awesome, no lies.

Totally jelly.

Me too. I worked for Parks Canada in a national park doing pretty much everything you mentioned, and it was amazing. Damn. I really should have stayed at that job.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:20 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I work for a marketing technology company in downtown Scottsdale. We just moved into a new space overlooking camelback mountain and have the whole 4th floor to ourselves. My desk has a great view and I get giant double screen monitors which make my work so much easier. Our break rooms are pretty awesome. We have a sandwich/salad bar filled with all kinds of veggies, mushrooms, dressings and plenty of non-vegan stuff. There's black bean patties now, but I don't know if they're vegan. Behind that, we have refrigerated cases of fruit, hummus, ezekiel bread, bagels, wraps and plenty of non-vegan stuff. Aside from that, there's a small room with coffee machines, 3 of those iced tea bucket things, a soda fountain and shelves of chips, cookies, pretzels and such. There are two large balconies that lead out from the break area, but it's 110 this time of year so I haven't been out on them yet. Every morning I get a berry smoothie w/ vegan protein powder delivered to my desk. I love that. I take the bus into work because I hate driving (and spending money on gas), so it's an 1.5 hrs each way but I use that time to read. Or, if it was a late night I'll try to sleep.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:24 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

nickvicious wrote:
Every morning I get a berry smoothie w/ vegan protein powder delivered to my desk.

That is a mega perk!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:34 pm 
Inflexitarian

solipsistnation wrote:
I work for a software and web-stuff consulting place ( http://www.productops.com ). It's in the second floor of a building in downtown Santa Cruz, which means we get to hear all the street musicians and wandering shouty people, but we also are right near good food and all kinds of stuff, plus it's about a 20 minute walk from home. I was employee 12 or so, and since I've been there we've doubled in size.

The office, when we started, was a couple of sort of smallish spaces, but since then it's expanded to the length of the building. There's a kitchen near the front windows, and a fridge that the company keeps stocked with beer and fizzy water and usually bagels and bread and lunch stuff (which means I pick up my own Tofurky and Vegenaise and the company reimburses me!!! Hey, they're buying lunchmeat and stuff for everyone else, right?).

There are a couple of company guitars hanging on the wall, and a decent stereo that mostly doesn't get used during the day because it's all an open space and people are trying to work. Most people have headphones for when they get into it, and there are usually conversations going on. I would prefer an office with door or at least some kind of cubicle walls, but that is pretty much outweighed by everything else about the place.

Since those were taken, everyone got monitors on arms (2 per desk, or 3 for some people, or 5 for one particularly inventive fellow), we added a couch and some tables by the windows, and we hired more people. And yes, the desks do move up and down. Some people work standing part of the time.

Overall? Really cool place to work.

I am jealous of the stand up desk option!

I work at a non profit. We mainly do housing for homeless youth but also have a couple of other programs. It's small (under 20 employees). I enter all the youth who are in our housing programs into the databases we have to use for grants, I also report on outcomes and supervise the front desk person. My office is really casual. I wear jeans, a t-shirt, and a hoodie most days. Unless I have a meeting to go to, then I wear jeans and a cardigan. We have two offices, one in the town I live in and one a county south of where I live. I have to go to the other office once a week, which is kind of a bummer because I have to drive. Other days I ride my bike to work and I keep it in the hall outside my office. The office in Bellingham is too small for the number of people that we have. I share an office with one other person. She and I get along pretty well and I listen to music all day on my speakers and she doesn't mind so that is lucky. We may be moving offices next month to a room that has a glass door! I have no windows now.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:49 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

You guys (mostly) have awesome jobs/offices. I should stop being negative. I am sure that there are good parts...lets see. the restaurant downstairs has tofu you can put on your salad. For only $12.

Oh wait! there are bunnies on the lawn downstairs! I will go look at them on my lunch break. Maybe they will talk to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:51 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Chicki wrote:
Oh wait! there are bunnies on the lawn downstairs! I will go look at them on my lunch break. Maybe they will talk to me.

Just so long as they don't start telling you burn it all... burn it all down!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Sometimes I wish I worked in a place with a cafeteria and a gym. But that would mean I would have to work for a large corporation, and I don't know if I would like that any better.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:00 pm 
WRETCHED

I used to work in an 70s style office building, it was funny but had some amazing views. The office I worked at before that (where I was in an cube within a 10 person office), had free drinks. The people were mostly fun and we had things like 3 on 3 basketball tournaments. I had fun there but we did have a small cafe that made fries most days and you could smell the grease from pretty far away.

Then I moved to the 70s style office building. I thought the drinks were free there, but someone told me they weren't. Then I saw water coolers around the building so I'd go get water but later discovered they were 'water cooler clubs' where you had to pay to use them. Then I worked in a large office with another person and he was a bit of a pest.

Then I moved to my current building. One thing I forgot to mention is that it is really only bearable to be in the office during the winter months because otherwise freezing cold AC is pumped into the building. Most people wear jackets around the building even when it is 90 degrees outside. Another reason I like working at home.

If I had my ideal office building, I think there would be things like free drinks and snacks. A well stocked salad bar that didn't cost a fortune. I also thing the design would mimic the outdoors more. An open environment with trees, lots of sunlight and views of the outdoors. There would be a gym as well as a track. Perhaps a place for yoga classes with formal instructors brought in. I'd also like a library with newer books and without a librarian who wouldn't scrutinize everything. (We had a library at work, not sure if it is still there because all the books were way outdated and the librarian wouldn't let you just look, so I didn't go back). I'd also like to be able to get supplies when I need them. (we no longer have supply closets because supplies would vanish at quick rates during august/september)

It'd also be nice to have some informal meeting places where you had chairs and comfy couches.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I really miss working in a lively environment. Previous to my office desk job I worked in bridal salons, a Barnes & Noble cafe, a clothing store in a mall, a salad place in a mall food court, and an amusement theme park at the beach. They were all very active! I was on my feet all day running around, helping customers and interacting with people.

The perks of this job are good and I love the Mon-Fri 9-5 schedule. But sitting at a desk all day staring at the computer makes me feel lazy and alone.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lycophyte wrote:
I'm a park ranger so my workspace changes from day to day! Some days I'm in the valley visitor centers answering questions, some days I'm in the office (which is very unexciting 70's faux wood paneling with old cruddy furniture), but then other days I'm out hiking and looking off of mountain tops or hanging out at the campground or working with kids. Vehicles smell like mouse poop, and there are lots of spiders in the offices.

So it can be super awesome, no lies.

Can I go to work with you? (Seriously! That sounds great.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

linanil wrote:
If I had my ideal office building, I think there would be things like free drinks and snacks. A well stocked salad bar that didn't cost a fortune. I also thing the design would mimic the outdoors more. An open environment with trees, lots of sunlight and views of the outdoors. There would be a gym as well as a track. Perhaps a place for yoga classes with formal instructors brought in. I'd also like a library with newer books and without a librarian who wouldn't scrutinize everything. (We had a library at work, not sure if it is still there because all the books were way outdated and the librarian wouldn't let you just look, so I didn't go back). I'd also like to be able to get supplies when I need them. (we no longer have supply closets because supplies would vanish at quick rates during august/september)
YES! On all points but sspecially on mimicking the outdoors and lots of views. When I work away from windows or plants I feel unnatural. My last office was in the middle of a building and most days the only time I'd see outside was on my way too and from the bathroom. Kind of depressing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

nickvicious wrote:
YES! On all points but sspecially on mimicking the outdoors and lots of views. When I work away from windows or plants I feel unnatural. My last office was in the middle of a building and most days the only time I'd see outside was on my way too and from the bathroom. Kind of depressing.

This. I go crazy because there are no real woods/no real nature here. I have to travel for hours by train or bus or whatever to go there, and that ruins it for me. So I never really unwind or get space to think. One nice thing, though, is that I was assigned office space in a huge room - all windows on 2 side so we catch a lot of light, 8 desks but I'm usually the only one to show up. I was also assigned to the space first, so I spun my desk around to face the window and a rooftop garden one of the neighbors has. I get a gorgeous view of Dutch clouds and some other small/surprise gardens, too. And because of all the light and windowsills, I've got an office garden growing, too. That's nice.

Actually, the university's approach to research space is, in general, wonderful. If I were doing a PhD in the US, I would NOT have office space or computer equipment/programs/etc. like I have here. I'm continually impressed by that. The building I work in is only for Ph.D.'s, so it's chill, there are no obnoxious supervisors or students wandering around, we have a common room with comfy chairs and several kitchens for tea and coffee making, etc.

The only annoying parts are that no one ever does the dishes in the kitchens, and that when my office mates come in (.....once a month or so) they always chitchat on their cellphones. Otherwise, life's good.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:37 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I work in a music store known around the world in the "center of the universe" as the Fremont neighborhood calls itself. It's mostly acoustic instruments, and our company makes harps and hammered dulcimers and ships them all over. It's dangerous how many good places there are to eat within a quarter of a mile. Everyone I work with is nice (I'm the youngest by nine years) and we have good benefits and pay. I walk to work and it takes twenty minutes.
My only complaint is that we are in the basement of our building, which is dreary, and the masses of dust are affecting my allergies. Other than that...it's awesome!

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:16 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Dogs. Cats. In a really shitty falling down building.

The upsides: dogs and cats. Sudden urge to hug a cat? No problem. Want to take a dog outside for some fresh air? You can totally do that. Animals make work days more fun. The radio is on all day, so I can sing along and dance around, but that probably only works if you work alone (or really really don't care what other people think)! There used to be popcorn all the time, which was pretty great, but then the popcorn-making person left.

The downsides: That many animals in one building= loud and smelly. The shelter is at the end of a dead end street with nothing close by, so no running out to pick up lunch. And as I said, the building is gross, it certainly doesn't look pretty,and there's lots of mold, mice, etc.,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:42 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I'm Patient Services Coordinator and clinical assistant at an addiction recovery center. My office is a jumble pile of like..ugh. It's full of old possessions from past clients. Guitar, books, magazines, hairspray, tweezers, cologne, lots of body mists, and some inappropriate clothes. And the desk is constantly having papers put on it by people who walk in and just put stuff down and forget it. But I have a candle that smells like honeysuckle that the last girl left. And a door that can close, so that's pretty nice.

Oh and it's in the middle of the woods so like best views ever. There's a nice lake and woodland creatures abound. That no one can shoot. Awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:47 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I get pissed every time I see one of those Kashi commercials about their employees talking about doing research in jungles and bringing us the best possible food they can make! They look so happy. fork you Kashi, stop putting milk, eggs, and honey in your food!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I work for the federal government and my current office is super bland. I have a cubicle near a window that looks out over more buildings. It's mostly grey and boring but we do have some indigenous artwork around the place, and a big kitchen with a huge TV, although that's mainly just so we can watch what's going on at Parliament House. The people are okay though, pretty friendly, and it's pretty relaxed in terms of what we can wear and stuff. Most government employees have to wear suits and stuff, but we work with Indigenous Australian communities so we're almost encouraged to look a little bit less formal a lot of the time. Oh, and I have this sign above my desk:

I've refused to let it be replaced with a correctly spelled sign, and I've taken it with me every time I've had to move desks.

My department has another building in a suburb about 15 minutes away, which is closer to my house and is much more interesting. It's all sort of open plan, where there are bays that sit four and everyone has a corner with a common space in the middle. I worked there for a few months and thought I would hate that set-up, but it was much better- people talked more and stuff and it was pretty fun. From that office, there are also views of mountains, warning signs to watch out for snakes, and kangaroos on the grounds. Most of them hang out around the back, but this guy likes to sleep in the shade right by the main entrance:

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:29 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

^where's that? out the back of Tuggeranong or something?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:39 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

A Roo! That is awesome!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

joshua wrote:
^where's that? out the back of Tuggeranong or something?

Yep, across the road from the Hyperdome. The prospect of lunch at the Hyperdome is the downside to working there.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:56 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

there's used to be that place in Homeworld.. :( I used to play hockey over out the back of Tuggeranong there, was lovely having the sun setting over the Brindys, roos settling, etc. Canberra is nice as hell for that.. just not a lot more :(

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:09 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

GraciaKai wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:
I am a legal researcher/writer at a criminal defense law office. Our office always smells like hella weed. My colleagues are generally awesome. I can wear whatever I want. It's pretty darn awesome.

Your co-workers smoke weed at work? What kind of awesome madness is that?!

A lot of people at the office are medical marijuana patients and use it at work. The office also specializes in defending people who are charged with marijuana-related crimes. It's hilarious, because I now know a LOT about the legal, social, and horticultural aspects of pot, but I don't really smoke it. Everyone assumes I'm a pothead to hear me talk about it, but really, I just think it's INSANE that it's illegal!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:57 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I work in a bland building, surrounded by other bland buildings. The beer is free (well, you're expected to replace the keg once a year or so, when it's your turn) but the soda isn't. I like the few people in my office and we have skylights in my building, which is super unusual (on a military base) and awesome. Down side is that I live in the middle of no where so there are very few food options. Perks are a newly remodeled gym and track. My real job is flying, though, and I like that because I really enjoy working on small teams and that's basically what a crew is.

I want an office with big windows. And music on the radio. That's enough to get my day started in the right direction. If there was ever vegan food at work functions that would be great, but man I miss windows.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:18 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm a production coordinator at a visual effects studio in Manhattan. I get free snacks and drinks (including beer). I have worn slippers in my office and nobody has batted an eye - some people don't wear shoes at all! The hours are long but I've worked on some things I'm really proud of. And I'm lucky to say I'm genuinely wonderful friends with a lot of my coworkers. Here's the view from our penthouse, so things could be worse.

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next