| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 992, 993, 994, 995, 996, 997, 998 ... 1828  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

When I got to work this morning, before I even turned on my computer, my line manager told me that the boss texted her at 11.50pm (or some such) last night saying that he couldn't find his hotel and was therefore going to sleep in the terminal at Heathrow. He apparently walked around looking for it (after leaving a meeting at 8.30pm), and despite having a map and a smart phone, he couldn't find it. And he also didn't bother to just get a goddamn taxi to take him there. So now, I have to write an email apology to him. I honestly can't figure out what to say, because what do I have to apologise for? "Dear boss, I'm sorry you can't read directions." "Dear boss, I'm sorry I didn't explicitly tell you to get a taxi if you couldn't find the place and couldn't figure out on your own that that would be the best course of action."

I'm so sick of this shiitake.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:00 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

A w k w a r d. Good luck, rachell.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:41 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

did they not have a phone number? *ring ring* 'hello where are you? is it hidden? oh look for the big sign, you say? cool! see you in a moment'

life. it's not rocket science.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:29 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Can someone explain what the Higgs Boson is to me in a way that makes sense? The wikipedia article hurt my brain.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:41 am 
Chard Martyr

Mars wrote:
What do you guys think? Should I get a degree? College or Bachelors. Argh. Okay, here's my thinking. I have some credits, I've taken classes here and there. But for no reason really, so pointless! But now I want to take classes again, and it seems really dumb to keep paying for classes and having debt when there is literally no reward (other than knowledge of course :P). So, I feel ready enough to say 'sure, I'll go for a degree', however it feels like justification for me just wanting some easy art classes, because I don't actually know the point of a degree for me. BLARGH

Well...barely anyone really needs degrees for anything non-technical/scientific these days, but my (arts) degrees and experiences in university have been among the most rewarding experiences of my life. No regrets. The debt is manageable, provided you don't intend to expect riches and live a lavish lifestyle.

You might want to do it back in Canada, though! School is less expensive up here than in the US. Still hugely expensive, don't get me wrong, and if you went somewhere in Vancouver you would have to deal with the insanity that is the cost of living in that city. If it's an art degree you're after, however, everyone I know who has gone to Emily Carr has nothing but great things to show for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:47 am 

paprikapapaya wrote:
Can someone explain what the Higgs Boson is to me in a way that makes sense? The wikipedia article hurt my brain.

Try this? NASA asked the Ph.D. comics guy to write a comic about it, so he made a movie: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120501.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:47 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

If you can afford to go to school for the purposes of education for education's sake, then go for the degree. If you can't, don't worry about it now. Having an arts degree will not guarantee you income commensurate with the cost associated with getting the degree, so if you don't need it for anything, I think it's probably better to wait and go to school when/if you form a goal that you need a degree or degrees to attain.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:38 am 
WRETCHED

jordanpattern wrote:
If you can afford to go to school for the purposes of education for education's sake, then go for the degree. If you can't, don't worry about it now. Having an arts degree will not guarantee you income commensurate with the cost associated with getting the degree, so if you don't need it for anything, I think it's probably better to wait and go to school when/if you form a goal that you need a degree or degrees to attain.

I agree with this. I thought you might be in California (where school is insanely cheap compared to other places), but I don't know about Oregon. If you wanted to go for your own reasons and could afford it, I'd go. You don't have to go full-time either. You could look into transfer agreements between community colleges and universities, which could shave off some cost.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:42 am 
WRETCHED

My kitties left for their 2 week stay with grandma. I'm going to miss my kitties. On Friday, my dogs go to the boarding place and we fly out on Saturday. Saturday morning will be the worst because it'll be so lonely.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:26 pm 
Cranky

Having a college degree is a good predictor of higher income over the course of a lifetime, but even a little college seems to help.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:37 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Both of the housemates are gone today, so the house is mine! Woooooo!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:37 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I'm on the bus on the way into town to see Garbage! Ahhhh! I'm so excited!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:51 pm 

Perfect scones are perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

After putting away £55 worth of groceries that I had delivered today, I have no idea what to make for dinner. In fairness, though, about half of that was for soy milk. Also, it's difficult for me to decide what to make when I'm not sure if the other person I'm making food for is actually gonna eat it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:39 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Mars, dooooo it. One of my biggest regrets is that I let the discouragement of my parent-folk get to me and didn't go to university (I later went and got a graphic design diploma from college, but that's besides the point). Not saying I want to go now because I have a job I really love and am thankful I got it with the education I did have, but if I could go back in time, I'd just go to school just for the hell of it. I always was envious of people who did, and yet didn't think I deserved it myself. I suppose being told by your parents that it would be a waste of time and money and I'd be bound to fork it up and fail would do that to a person.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:59 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

On the other side of things, one of my biggest regrets is being pushed to finish a degree I didn't have the resources to complete by my dad.

I'm not trying to be debbie downer, but post-secondary education these days is very, very expensive, and there's no need to rush things. I think if you're unsure, you should wait. It's not like you can't change your mind later. When it comes to the expense and possible staggering debt associated with college/university, you actually can't change your mind on that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:00 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

lutin wrote:
A Higgs Boson particle walks into a church.

The preacher says: "Higgs Boson particles aren't allowed in here! You call yourself the God-particle, that's sacrilegious!"

The Higgs Boson particle replies: "If you don't allow Higgs Boson particles in here, how do you have mass?"

I genuinely thought this was really funny.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:01 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

jordanpattern wrote:
I'm not trying to be debbie downer, but post-secondary education these days is very, very expensive, and there's no need to rush things. I think if you're unsure, you should wait. It's not like you can't change your mind later. When it comes to the expense and possible staggering debt associated with college/university, you actually can't change your mind on that.

Yeah, I'm certainly not into rushing things, really I'm just desiring to take two classes in the upcoming fall semester. I'm not even convinced I'll take more in the winter, but if I do, it'd just be two again. And just at a community college for now. I'm pretty convinced that I'd love a BFA, my only reluctance really is that when I look at my future self, I don't see myself doing anything more fancy than opening up a retail business. I look at these schools like OCAC and I want to go! Really badly! But I can't think of a use for the degree. I guess many people go off to become studio artists, I don't really feel that's something that I'd do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I loved taking classes in community college - I wish I still could. When I was in cc, I managed to work it out that, after a couple of semesters with a high GPA, they eventually started giving me grants (I had to apply) and I basically went for free. So that might be an option, especially if you already have a few classes under your belt and can apply for that kind of grant - just keep taking classes at cc because they're cheaper and will (likely) transfer to a 4-year school (especially if you stay in-state). And you might be able to get a transfer scholarship if you decide to do a proper 4-year degree after doing cc classes for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:06 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I do always forget about grants and scholarships.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:10 pm 
WRETCHED

I don't know what is going on with my class. Our final was supposed to be tomorrow but the school is not functional as of yet. I'm going out of town on Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:33 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Mars wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

Yeah, I'm certainly not into rushing things, really I'm just desiring to take two classes in the upcoming fall semester. I'm not even convinced I'll take more in the winter, but if I do, it'd just be two again. And just at a community college for now. I'm pretty convinced that I'd love a BFA, my only reluctance really is that when I look at my future self, I don't see myself doing anything more fancy than opening up a retail business. I look at these schools like OCAC and I want to go! Really badly! But I can't think of a use for the degree. I guess many people go off to become studio artists, I don't really feel that's something that I'd do.

I'm on jopa's side. Don't go if you're unsure and can't afford it. It's an enormous money suck (and time suck) with little to no pay off. ESPECIALLY in the arts. I'm doing a degree in English lit and creative writing and I'm already (after two quarters) in debt $4,000 and not getting a single loan, scholarship, or grant next year, despite my determination to find one. The debt is just not worth it for the outcome (which is me going to grad school and spending even more money). So, instead, I'm going to focus on my job, potentially apprenticing for instrument repair work, and going from there...and waiting until I can afford school, which will be when I'm old enough to claim independent on the FAFSA (fork the government. Seriously).

So...weigh cost versus reward. Knowledge is awesome...but is it worth x amount of debt per year?

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:24 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I want someone to watch fireworks with!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mars wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

I think taking it slow like that is a good idea! I went to university right after high school and did pretty poorly, then dropped out after the first year. It took me years to figure out what I wanted out of school. I'm still not sure career wise, but I'm passionate about what I'm learning and doing very well grade wise now.

And my debt isn't bad, I qualify for a low income grant that I don't have to pay back, so my loan isn't much. I'm hoping if my grades keep up like this I'll be getting scholarships and won't need the loan.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I hate my parent's internet. This game is taking FOREVER to download.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 992, 993, 994, 995, 996, 997, 998 ... 1828  Next