| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46881 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1133, 1134, 1135, 1136, 1137, 1138, 1139 ... 1876  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:14 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Moon wrote:
Fee wrote:
acr wrote:
is he an eater of things? my dog would pass some rank gas when she'd been trash picking or licking plates or stealing groceries off the counter.

Yes very very very much so. But this time is different because the rankness has been going on for two nights. The first night I couldn't even sleep it was so strong. I suspected it was his food because we just bought a new bag - he had had that kind before, but I guess there's a chance the bag was expired or rancid or something. So last night I went and bought him an even newer bag of an old favorite, but then he vomited last night and apparently ate it all back up. Great.

I don't know if you've rushed off to the vet yet, but I would hold off. If he seems okay but his digestion is a little off just withhold all food or offer just boiled rice (unless you know he has a food sensitivity) and go from there. I am 100% huge worrywart about my dog and regularly have to stop myself from rushing off to the vet. But if your pooch is an eater of things, then it's probably just tummy upset. Is he having bowel movements normally?

I think they're okay. It's hard to say because he goes in the yard and sometimes in the bushes of the yard and that poop just becomes fertilizer because I can't go hunting through these huge bushes for poop and since he has a dog door, he could be pooping an unhealthy storm up in the bushes and I'd never know.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:18 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

My concern would be more that he's pooping at all, not so much the states of the poo. As long as he IS passing something, he's probably not obstructed which would be my first concern with an eater of stuffs. Fast tonight, reasses tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:18 pm 
WRETCHED

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Ugh, I need more money. I have no snow boots or warm shoes (my old boots were so old that they basically disintegrated) and I think it's going to be a bad winter. My laptop is on its last legs and I fully expect it to die any day now. I have a $300 medical bill due that I've already put off for a couple months. And then comes christmas! Maybe I will magically win the lottery without actually playing it?

What size do you wear? If you wear a 9/9.5, I might have something that could work for you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:31 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Trying not to spend the afternoon eating all of the cookies. It's so hard. I know I will feel better if I don't eat so much sugar, but it's such a vicious cycle.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

You never know Fee..... he could be eating up that poop! Jake was a wee shiitake for doing that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:59 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Efcliz wrote:
Mars wrote:
Maybe I will magically win the lottery without actually playing it?

Good idea. Sign me up.

I did actually once do that. I've never ever bought one but my cousin tucked one into our wedding card 17 years ago and we had a very very small win ( about £70 I think). The numbers were something like our birthdays and wedding date combined. Even if I've ever wanted to buy one since I haven't because it would ruin my story about winning the lottery without buying a ticket.

Lets all play our local lotteries, and whoever wins should buy a big house, and all of us PPKers will live together in luxury. Isa will be our resident chef.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:41 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I am exhausted. Woke up early to go to the gym, working a 10 hour day, then supposed to go out to dinner with the new guy. I was looking forward to dinner out all week but now just want to go home and go to bed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:46 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I think my laptop is done. I'm using the downstairs desktop, which is 6 or 7 years old now, and good Lard, is it slow. I feel like I should be using dial up aol on this thing. Also the keyboard sucks and you have to hit the keys super hard like you are using a typewriter. Fun. Any recommendations for a cheap but not too sucky laptop? Definitely CANNOT afford a mac.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:09 pm 
WRETCHED

I think my laptop is done. I'm using the downstairs desktop, which is 6 or 7 years old now, and good Lard, is it slow. I feel like I should be using dial up aol on this thing. Also the keyboard sucks and you have to hit the keys super hard like you are using a typewriter. Fun. Any recommendations for a cheap but not too sucky laptop? Definitely CANNOT afford a mac.

What do you need to do with your laptop? What is your budget?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:24 pm 
Semen Strong

I got a Sony Vaio cheap on B&N. About $600.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:09 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I'm in the same boat. My laptop (Dell Inspiron) is shutting off for no reason I can discern, it's about 2 1/2 years old, and well past the warranty. I don't have a backup desktop...this is my only computer. I thought really hard about trying to find some magical way to get a Mac, but I need a large screen because of my visual impairment and it's like $600 more to get a 15" screen which is the smallest size I'm comfortable with....and like, $1299 is already pretty outrageous. So I'm probably going to get an HP. It's got about the same ratio of people saying they love it vs. people saying not to bother as the Mac (based on my highly unscientific sample group of Facebook friends), it's got the features I want, it's got a 17" screen, and it's about a thousand dollars less than the freaking Macbook.

So, I can't really recommend it since I don't even have it yet, but, that's what I'm probably about to do.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:14 pm 
Semen Strong

The Sony I have has a 17.3" screen.
http://www.theverge.com/products/vaio-e-series-17/5653

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:24 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Tofulish wrote:
The Sony I have has a 17.3" screen.
http://www.theverge.com/products/vaio-e-series-17/5653

That looks pretty sweet!
This is the one I'm probably about to get: . http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-o ... otebook-PC
It's a little lower in price than the VAIO...but mainly I'm going for that one because I need high sound quality and more-than-average memory for all my music stuff. Most laptops have really shitty sound quality because most people don't need high quality sound, so they make space for other things by lopping off the sound. For the average user it's probably not a big deal though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:30 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

linanil wrote:

Internet. That's basically ALL I do with it. That and store a crapload of photos and videos on it, so I need a good amount of memory. The absolute limit I could pay would be about $900, but it would be really nice if I could get something cheaper, because I also need money for food and stuff this month.

My first laptop was HP something. It was pretty fast and easy to use, but it kept having physical problems and finally at 2 years old got to the point where it couldn't be fixed anymore. My current laptop is a cheapo Dell Inspiron that I bought quickly when the HP died. It was the only one I could afford at the time. It's now 3 years old I think and I guess that's it. I wish these things lasted longer!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:50 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I got a Samsung laptop from New Egg last year and love it. It's so much faster than my old HP desktop. You can probably get something for $600-700 that will be fine for internet and storing video/photos.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:58 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

linanil wrote:

Internet. That's basically ALL I do with it. That and store a crapload of photos and videos on it, so I need a good amount of memory. The absolute limit I could pay would be about $900, but it would be really nice if I could get something cheaper, because I also need money for food and stuff this month.

My first laptop was HP something. It was pretty fast and easy to use, but it kept having physical problems and finally at 2 years old got to the point where it couldn't be fixed anymore. My current laptop is a cheapo Dell Inspiron that I bought quickly when the HP died. It was the only one I could afford at the time. It's now 3 years old I think and I guess that's it. I wish these things lasted longer!

Someone who knows more about computers should jump in and correct me if I'm mistaken about this, but I'm pretty sure that if your need is for storage space, what you really need is hard drive space, not memory. Memory is more for how many programs you can run on the computer at once -- like, if I'm watching Netflix and have 30 browser tabs open and I'm IMing a bunch of people and playing Lexulous and doing my homework all at the same time, I'm using a lot of memory. But most people probably don't multitask as much as I do. Conversely, I don't use a ton of disk space because I save my photos on Photobucket and my documents on Google Drive. If you're just browsing the internet and storing your stuff, don't worry about extra memory. You're more likely to want (a) more hard drive space and (b) an external hard drive so you can back up your files.

On the other hand, if you are actually using a lot of your available memory, don't be a fool like I was and think that your computer will just let you get away with that. I'm pretty sure that's how I ended up ruining mine, by overtaxing the memory when I should have just installed more. But also note that it's pretty easy to install more memory, so if there's a computer that's in your price range and meets all your needs, but only has say 4GB of memory (which is pretty standard) and you really feel like you need more (like me), PCs are usually well-equipped for installing more memory.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks, yeah the problem is mostly storage and I do have an external hard drive (mostly because I'm afraid of losing everything when my laptop dies) but I also did have a problem with my current laptop and memory when multitasking online. And I basically never close firefox and it seems like the longer it's open the more memory it uses for whatever reason. I don't know. I just want something that works that I don't have to think about too much. But every single computer in existence has at least a handful of bad reviews from people saying they had a horrible experience. It seems like such a crapshoot picking one! Every computer and laptop I've ever had, I have ended up hating. I asked fb friends for recommendations, and one person would say "I have brand X and it's great!" and another would say "No, no, I had brand X and it was horrible. Get brand Y." and then a third person says "Brand Y gave me nothing but trouble! Brand Z is best!" and then my brain feels like it's going to explode. And I'm really impatient and just want to get a new laptop now because not having one makes me sad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:43 pm 
Dead by dawn

My employer was just a Jeopardy question. Weird. I mean, not really, because we're a huge corporation. But still.

Also, I need a new laptop, too. No more Dells!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

monkeytoes wrote:
Also, I need a new laptop, too. No more Dells!

Yup. I have a growing list of "brands I will never purchase again". I'm afraid I will run out of options one day!

fork it, I'm tired. I'm just going to pick a random laptop in my price range and buy it. Even if I end up hating it, the damn things only last a couple years anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:03 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Yeah, that's pretty much the deal with laptops. I went with the HP because it was in my price range, had the features I wanted, and people I know whose computer usages are similar to mine said they were satisfied with theirs. Computers aren't really made to last the way they used to be when you would invest in a computer and expect that to just be your computer forever. Manufacturers assume that you're going to want to upgrade when they come out with a new model anyway, and they want to make sure that you'll buy the newer and more expensive computer that they're going to be selling in a few years, so they have no incentive to make a computer that will last a long time. It's kind of like lightbulbs -- the technology exists to make lightbulbs that will basically last forever, but if they actually made lightbulbs that lasted that long, they'd be unbelievably expensive because nobody would ever need to replace them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:34 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Raspberrycomplaint, since you already have an external hard drive, you might want to consider one of the new Chromebooks. It's basically designed to internet and do word processor/spreadsheets/etc tasks. They're less than $300, and super light and super long battery because they don't have lots of extraneous stuff. So, yes, you'd have to hook up the external hard drive any time you wanted to work with major files, but for internetting and basic tasks, you'd be set.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:40 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I have had an Asus netbook for four years now and have never had a problem since I started using Ubuntu on it. It runs as well as the day I got it and it was $300 and some change.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:47 pm 
A Bad Person

strawberryrock wrote:
I have had an Asus netbook for four years now and have never had a problem since I started using Ubuntu on it. It runs as well as the day I got it and it was $300 and some change.

+1 yummy. I've had my Dell Mini 9 running a variety of Linux flavors for four something years, and I still use it almost daily. I had to replace the battery, but that's about it.

I can also second Chromebooks. I'm not certain of how well external storage works with them because mine's a pilot program Cr-48 and it didn't even have a file browser when I got it. It lives and dies on internet connectivity. But it's great for internet browsing, and Google Docs is more than capable for an Office replacement.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:14 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

raspberrycomplaint, have you looked into cloud storage as an alternative to hard drive space? I don't know what all is available but I use Amazon for storing mp3s and have unlimited storage for $20 per year. There's probably something similar for photos and other media.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:32 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I can't get my cat to stop being cute. Here I am, trying to go to bed like a responsible adult, and she's all "yo, I thought I'd just come on over and cuddle and be adorbs and trap you here."

Damn her!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46881 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1133, 1134, 1135, 1136, 1137, 1138, 1139 ... 1876  Next