| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 496  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:33 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

torque wrote:
Well obviously the way to prove that vegan baked goods are delicious, is to make her some delicious vegan baked goods!

I might the next time I see her but I hate the pressure someone judging the quality of all vegan food on what I make! I like to bake but without the pressure to be perfect!

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I think I'm more sympathetic to hunters than I am meat eaters who know what goes on in factory farms, have seen the investigations or read the accounts and simply don't care. Or worse, they'll make a joke like "Oh, so that's how they get the meat so tender".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:15 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

nickvicious wrote:
I think I'm more sympathetic to hunters than I am meat eaters who know what goes on in factory farms, have seen the investigations or read the accounts and simply don't care. Or worse, they'll make a joke like "Oh, so that's how they get the meat so tender".

i once dated a guy who was totally against hunting and animal cruelty and then i was like, "but you eat KFC..." he must've been a droid because i think his mind went, "DOES. NOT. COMPUTE."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:20 am 
Tofu Pup

OH I am really gonna enjoy reading this thread when I'm feeling all lonely and frustrated with vegan feelings.
I know zero 0! none, vegan people, other than platonic facebook friends... And I want to share these vegan feelings! It's so much less frustration when you talk about it....

When people find out you're a vegan. "I could easily give up meat!" And then there's this awkward pause where they expect me to be all like;
YOU SO COOL! You could give up meat but you never ever will! GO YOU!

When people introduce me as "This is XYZ, she's vegan". Really? That's all you can say about me? I could understand if I was always talking about it and such.... but I am the kind of person who would rather not tell people about it, ever.
My mom introduced me to her boyfriend; here's my daughter, she is vegan! And untill I left all they could talk about was vegan vegan vegan vegan vegan vegan vegan vegan vegan....
It seems like vegan stuff is something non-vegans talk and think about more than me. I would think it was cool if they were really interested in it, but to them it's like talking about the weather. I'd rather just talk about the weather, thanks.

When people I have know for like 5+ years still can't seem to talk about other stuff than vegan vegan vegan when they see me.
I have known you like 5 years, do we have to talk about vegan stuff all the freaking time?? I always have to answer 15 questions... I cannot understand how it can still be interesting. I have seriously stopped seeing people over this.

Vegan people where I live. Let me just say that I am not active in the vegan community. There lots of lovely vegans, but all the, imo, nice ones are also scared away, so...
"If you buy your food in a supermarket, you are not a REAL vegan!"
"If you support any kind of store/company/health food shop you are not a REAL vegan"
"If all your food and clothes are not from a dumpster you are not a REAL vegan"
............ plus a bazillion other statements.
I think non-consumerism is really cool and such, even though I personally cannot call myself a non-consumer. But like, when did veganism became non-consumerism? It's still two different things for now.

Also vegans here complain so much! They complain there is not any vegan places/options, and when vegan options then become avaliable it's complain, complain, complain... Not that you have to love everything vegan, absolutely not(!).
The problem is just that nothing is ever good enough. EVER.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:59 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm so angry. There's this vegan I follow on tumblr because she posts a lot of pretty pictures of flowers and cupcakes, but recently she posted a horrifying picture without any kind of warning. I'm not really one to get emotional over animals very often but I seriously nearly cried and threw up.

**NASTY DESCRIPTION WARNING:**
Spoiler: show
There was a picture of a man holding a bunch of fur/skin which was only barely still attached to a cat being held up by another person.

It was forking grotesque and I don't understand why people think that helps animals in any way. She always says shiitake like "instead of complaining about seeing these images make sure they never happen to begin with." Omg.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:01 am 
Tofu Pup

People who assume you are really deprived. They think I crave everything non-vegan and it must be really difficult (I know it's difficult for some people). When I crave something it's vegan stuff, but people just assume it's really difficult eating with them cause it must be hard to see that DELICIOUS chicken/pig/cow....

People you don't see very often and every time you meet they are like... So do you eat meat now?
Well, I haven't eaten meat in like 13 years or so... I can understand people ask if you're the kind of person who change lifestyle/diet/food-habits frequently or something, but when it's a steady thing I just don't get the question. Also I just find it really hard to relate, I just dont see it as an option, and I get really confused when people ask, they might as well ask me, so do you eat concrete now?

When people assume vegan =don't drink any alcohol, ever.
I don't drink alcohol very often, most stuff I just don't like, and I rarely feel like it. I had a dinner at a non-vegan restaurant, who made a vegan meal for me. I rarely eat at restaurants and I thought I would try something new and order a cider to my dinner instead of water.
And the waiter was shocked. She almost had to gasp for air.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:59 am 
Huffs Nooch

scandinaveggie wrote:

I guess this is down to straight edge. Amongst my entire social circle of family/relatives/colleagues/acquaintances I'm not only the sole vegan, but also generally the only vegan they've ever come across. Therefore most assume that vegan = no booze.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:04 am 
Huffs Nooch

Have just got my first proper management job. At my previous pay grade there were lots of veggie folk, now I'm the lone non-omni in a team of rampant meat-eaters. Got an overnight stay thingy in a few weeks where I will no doubt be subjected to much witty repartee, meh.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:36 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Jigglypuff wrote:
I'm so angry. There's this vegan I follow on tumblr because she posts a lot of pretty pictures of flowers and cupcakes, but recently she posted a horrifying picture without any kind of warning. I'm not really one to get emotional over animals very often but I seriously nearly cried and threw up.

**NASTY DESCRIPTION WARNING:**
Spoiler: show
There was a picture of a man holding a bunch of fur/skin which was only barely still attached to a cat being held up by another person.

It was forking grotesque and I don't understand why people think that helps animals in any way. She always says shiitake like "instead of complaining about seeing these images make sure they never happen to begin with." Omg.

I'm pretty sure I've seen that. This makes me so mad! Posting pictures like that does not help them- people will scroll over it quicker to avoid it. I know I do.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:42 am 
Chip Strong

I befriended the VT Parks department on facebook after camping at a lovely campground there. They were posting almost daily pics of happy campers and beautiful photos taken by campers on their land. It was very lovely. And then one day there on my FB wall to greet me was a picture of a hunter proudly holding up a dead deer. What a way to show appreciation of nature. So long, VT Parks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:52 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Yeah, I worry that my non-vegan friends think that veganism is supposed to be some form of asceticism, since I also don't drink, I don't watch TV, I don't have a smartphone, etc. But all those things are for entirely different reasons! I don't drink because my body can't handle alcohol, I don't watch TV because I like my brain too much, and I don't have a smartphone because it's too expensive and I don't want one anyway. I'm vegan because I respect animals!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:53 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Note: I totally respect people for whom veganism is a form of ascetism! Totally cool. Just not why I'm vegan. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:02 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

choirqueer wrote:
Yeah, I worry that my non-vegan friends think that veganism is supposed to be some form of asceticism, since I also don't drink, I don't watch TV, I don't have a smartphone, etc. But all those things are for entirely different reasons! I don't drink because my body can't handle alcohol, I don't watch TV because I like my brain too much, and I don't have a smartphone because it's too expensive and I don't want one anyway. I'm vegan because I respect animals!

I really don't believe that watching TV will ruin your brain. There is some beautiful and intellectual stuff on TV. And a bunch of crepe too, but it won't ruin your brain unless you make it your one and only reason for living. There are amazing artists, actors, and writers whose work translates best to the small screen. There are subtle but powerful political messages emerging all over the tube.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:42 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

choirqueer wrote:

The idea that watching television somehow makes you brainless is an enormous peeve of mine. I hope you don't ruin your brain with any of those pesky books either.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:53 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Not a vegan peeve but I hate the term "screen time", as if all screens are the same and you can only do one thing with them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:53 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

scandinaveggie wrote:

I don't drink alcohol very often, most stuff I just don't like, and I rarely feel like it.

We get this a lot. My boyfriend enjoys the occasional beer and I like wine or a fancy drink if I am out. We just do not feel the need to drink all the time. Also we get crepe/eye rolls when we do not like people smoking around us (legal or not). Sorry my lungs are pretty sensitive and I like not smelling like an ashtray.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:10 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, I don't drink either and people often seem to think it is because I am vegan (which it is not). Like it is more acceptable for me not to drink because that is just part of my weird vegan thing (and not some other weird thing they have to learn about). It was never really a pet peeve of mine, but I can see how it would be for people who do drink.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:16 am 
WRETCHED

I don't drink and my husband rarely drinks. Last time my husband drank, a couple years ago, we were in a restaurant eating with coworkers and he asked for a beer. I about gasped because he never orders beers, usually if he has a drink it is because someone gave him something. I was just a bit shocked :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:19 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

this is kinda funny. so many of us dont drink.
i normally dont drink either. i just dont like the taste of alcohol.
occasionally ill have a cider but pretty rarely.

i do like frozen drinks like pina coladas or a frozen margarita but i very rarely have those.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:35 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Anyone who thinks vegans don't drink should be pointed my way. I'll soon sort them out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

This vegan is no stranger to booze. Beer, cocktails, wine, I drink it all! Well, so long as it's vegan. I once had a friend try to convince me that I wasn't vegan because I drink beer and beer has yeast in it. I guess someone failed 4th grade biology...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:22 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

nickvicious wrote:
I guess someone failed 4th grade biology...

I got the yeast thing but for bread...

When my boyfriend is asked if he wants like a third beer or something at a party and he says no - it is not because he is square...he drives! After loosing my sister and his grandmother due to drunk drivers we really play it safe.

Also just because a cheap beer is vegan does not mean we want it. We are not snobs but PBR is not something we drink...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I drink enough to make up for you guys, it's cool.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:47 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Efcliz wrote:
Anyone who thinks vegans don't drink should be pointed my way. I'll soon sort them out.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:28 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Haha I get the drinking thing sometimes when I am at a work event or something.

But...wine is vegan? wha????

Yes it is. Give it to me. no....just, here I'll take the whole bottle, thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 496  Next