| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1171, 1172, 1173, 1174, 1175, 1176, 1177 ... 1767  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:13 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

mollyjade wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
I know that many people celebrate Christmas in a secular manner, but if you put up twinkle lights this time of the year, they're Christmas lights.

I don't celebrate Christmas. I've never celebrated Christmas in my life. If I put up twinkle lights this time of year, they're definitely not Christmas lights...unless I spell "Merry Christmas" with them or they're shaped like Santa Claus or something. That's as absurd as saying that if I light a menorah at this time of year, it's a Christmas menorah.

I meant that in relation to group events like an office party. They're closely associated with Christmas. It's not a coincidence that people put them up just after Thanksgiving and take them down just after New Year's.

This is one I feel strong about. When I was a kid, neighbors "helpfully" decorated our house with Christmas lights. I just can't help seeing something like that as overstepping our choice not to participate in that Christmas ritual.

Again, I'm very happy for anyone celebrating however they choose. I just want to be left to celebrate or not myself.

Ah yeah, that's different! If someone else puts up twinkle lights on your house to try to "get" you to "celebrate", that's not cool. But a lot of the things you mentioned -- twinkle lights, gift exchanges, cookies -- are not Christmas-specific. People who celebrate other holidays have those things as part of our totally-not-Christmas holiday celebrations. It sounds like you don't want to participate in any holiday celebration, Christmas or not, and that's totally cool! But for a lot of us who celebrate holidays that aren't Christmas, we do really like to celebrate them, and resent being told that we're really just celebrating Christmas.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

fisticuffs wrote:
Yesterday, I went to the dentist for my yearly checkup. Last night when I looked in the mirror, I noticed a chunk of one of my front teeth has gone missing. Thanks, dentist. I'm gonna call soon and they'll probably tell me they can get me an appointment in january. *shakes fist*

Don't schedule an appointment, just show up when the office opens for an emergency visit, be prepared to wait, and get seen that day.

I dunno how it works in Belgium, but it would work here in New Mexico!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:31 pm 
Chard Martyr

I really miss my little sister. She brings out so much silly and laughter in me in a way that no one else ever has. I wish she didn't live over halfway across this massive country.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:30 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

choirqueer wrote:

Ah yeah, that's different! If someone else puts up twinkle lights on your house to try to "get" you to "celebrate", that's not cool. But a lot of the things you mentioned -- twinkle lights, gift exchanges, cookies -- are not Christmas-specific. People who celebrate other holidays have those things as part of our totally-not-Christmas holiday celebrations. It sounds like you don't want to participate in any holiday celebration, Christmas or not, and that's totally cool! But for a lot of us who celebrate holidays that aren't Christmas, we do really like to celebrate them, and resent being told that we're really just celebrating Christmas.

I do celebrate Chanukah, but for me, twinkle lights, general gift exchanges, cookies, trees, and even the concept of a holiday season aren't part of Chanukah. I understand others celebrate differently. I just want to be free to celebrate how I want and some understanding from those who actually know me that my celebrations aren't the same as theirs.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:34 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

lavawitch wrote:
I doubt my classroom will get mistaken for Crips HQ.

I know gang stuff isn't funny, but this comment did make me giggle!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:36 pm 
WRETCHED

mollyjade wrote:
choirqueer wrote:

I do celebrate Chanukah, but for me, twinkle lights, general gift exchanges, cookies, trees, and even the concept of a holiday season aren't part of Chanukah. I understand others celebrate differently. I just want to be free to celebrate how I want and some understanding from those who actually know me that my celebrations aren't the same as theirs.

I agree. People should be able to celebrate or not, however they want. No one should make anyone feel guilty but then again, I don't think everything should have the "Christmas" stamp on it if someone doesn't 'celebrate' Christmas.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:05 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Today I was at work, and a man walked into the building and was talking to me about the animals, and then out of nowhere said, "So are you all alone here?" He probably meant nothing by it, but it just creeped me the fork out. I just said "Nope, the animal control officer is in the other room and also I have to finish cleaning now, bye!"

In other news, the hospital called earlier and my mom had her surgery. They took out the abscess and drained some fluid (the surgeon said the fluid looked like it had been there a long time, which fits with the theory of the misdiagnosed abscess, and also gross!!!). So they'll be monitoring her recovery for a few days, and then if she does well she can come home.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:22 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Today I was at work, and a man walked into the building and was talking to me about the animals, and then out of nowhere said, "So are you all alone here?" He probably meant nothing by it, but it just creeped me the fork out. I just said "Nope, the animal control officer is in the other room and also I have to finish cleaning now, bye!"

That is creepy. In fact, it's literally what I say when I do my creepster-thing to mock people saying creepster things.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:45 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

so, i had this stroke of genius and decided i could put coffee grounds in my tea ball instead of dirtying up the french press. it seems like it should work, right? and yet it does not work at all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:43 pm 
And you never will.

Does anyone want to come make:

a black and white salted turtle cake
a mocha cake
fauxstess cupcakes
peanut butter bomb cupcakes
gingerbread cupcakes
brownies
cream cheese brownies
insanity bars
whoopie pies
oatmeal raisin cookies
oatmeal raisin cookie sandwiches
pumpkin spice cookies
chocolate chip cookies (x2 dozen)
and a chocolate bourbon pecan pie for me?

About half of it is for tomorrow evening and the other half is for Thursday afternoon. So, you know... no hurry.

ETA: if you could also look after my 2 year old while doing it, that would be great. You don't need sleep, right?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Today one of my patients was saying (loudly) some bad words mixed in with a bunch of other stuff he was saying (and singing) throughout his appointment. The patient in the operatory next door was getting upset about it and when I went to do his exam, he said emphatically "He is not going to get a visit from Santa Claus! He is going to get a visit from the Tooth Fairy."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I wish I remembered what it was like to have cats that aren't sick ALL THE TIME.

Olive has been having constant diarrhea (ON THE FLOOR) for over a month (working with the vet on it but we still don't know the culprit), Agnes won't move and is barely eating and has eye discharge and is going to the vet in a few hours. And you know there's how I adopted a kitten who was horribly ill her whoe life and died in June. I am at the vet constantly. My cats are so young!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:52 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

vijita wrote:
My cat sure shiitakes a lot. Not an alarming something-is-wrong amount, but damn, little Puddington, that is a lot of poop.

Pudding-ton

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:41 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

strawberryrock wrote:
I wish I remembered what it was like to have cats that aren't sick ALL THE TIME.

Olive has been having constant diarrhea (ON THE FLOOR) for over a month (working with the vet on it but we still don't know the culprit), Agnes won't move and is barely eating and has eye discharge and is going to the vet in a few hours. And you know there's how I adopted a kitten who was horribly ill her whoe life and died in June. I am at the vet constantly. My cats are so young!

:((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:49 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

So my ex has a bunch of benign tumors in his arm, and finally got one removed today (they've been there for ages). He texted me a picture of the tumor, once it was all out and on the tray. God damn that shiitake looks weird.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:22 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

My dad went to the supermarket and came back with water, oreos, and candy... and nothing else. I now know why my mother always does the food shopping.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:25 pm 
Chard Martyr

I deactivated my FB about 10 days ago and I sort of missed it for an hour today.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:27 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I am laughing so hard. My boyfriend has a fake okcupid account listed as female with a picture of some random pretty girl he found on the internet. Literally the only thing his About Me section says is "I'm actually a dude," but he gets tons of messages from straight men who want to get with this "girl." Shows how many dudes don't actually read women's profiles!

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:39 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Soooo I informed the roommate that we'll be doing separate groceries now. Tofulish was right about most of my frustration coming from food-related stuff. He didn't have much to say one way or another, but he seemed pretty moody. I guess I would be too if I was having awesome meals made for me every night and suddenly had to be responsible for myself.

So now I can complain about normal things like him stampeding around the house when I have a half hour left to sleep in the morning. I feel pretty relieved.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:54 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Phew! I feel relieved for you too, creep. Sounds like a good decision.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:03 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I got up a half hour ago, and already want a nap.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:19 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

kfad wrote:

Right there with you. The only way I'm getting through this day is with chai black tea with a dollop of coconut nog every hour or two.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:21 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

lillianp wrote:
kfad wrote:

Right there with you. The only way I'm getting through this day is with chai black tea with a dollop of coconut nog every hour or two.

That sounds magical... I should go to the store.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:24 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

kfad wrote:
lillianp wrote:
kfad wrote:

That sounds magical... I should go to the store.

It is the most amazing thing ever, I don't know how I was living before.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:25 am 
Chard Martyr

kfad wrote:

I actually do that almost every day. My cat wakes me up at 4, then I get up for a bit and then nap until 7. Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I really love those wee hours of the morning (punctuated by cat snuggles), and then the luxury of fooling myself into thinking I can have a nap.

Reply to topic  [ 44157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1171, 1172, 1173, 1174, 1175, 1176, 1177 ... 1767  Next