| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1221, 1222, 1223, 1224, 1225, 1226, 1227 ... 1847  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:31 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

It's the place that you really liked though?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:40 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yes! I mean, I haven't even seen it yet, but yes! I knew a guy who lived in the building once, and it seems like the kind of place where the floor plans are the same. Long apartments (3 on each side of the building that go back the length of the place) with high ceilings, hardwood floors, a fireplace, a freaking balcony... I haven't seen the kitchen yet, so that will be a determining factor.

Also, none of the other places I called to look at have called me back, so it's kind of this or nothing right now, and nothing is not an option because I can't go on living with my ex. I personally am kind of fine with it, but it's eating him alive seeing me all the time, so it's not fair to him. And really, if the only place I can find is sort of swank, why the hell not? Right? I'm a 30 year old woman and the building is (according to the landlord) full of professionals (like, medical doctors and such), so isn't it time I stopped living in shiitake holes run by landlords that rent to college students? As long as I can (most likely) afford it?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:02 am 
WRETCHED

Honestly, $250 doesn't sound like that much more for a nicer place. My husband and I lived in an old apartment building when we first moved to Maryland. If we wanted to live in a smaller, 'nicer' place, it would've been $500 more/month but we liked the older apartment building even with its quirks.

On the flip side, have you gone to any of the other places? Or did you just call? We found it better to just show up. I personally prefer to live in cheaper places if renting. You could also look on Craigslist if you haven't already.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:17 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I looked on Craigslist, and didn't come up with much. Places here are mostly in houses or older apartment buildings that don't have managers on site (unless you want to live in a village-type place, but that's where mostly college students live and it's not my vibe), so you have to call to make appointments to look at vacancies. This building is older, but it is really well taken care of. I could live in a 2 bedroom that is not as nice for about $50 less than the rent at this place. It's just that here, most people move in May (school-centric), so finding a place to lease for January is slim pickings. Small-ish college towns are crepe for that.

Also it doesn't help that I want to move back to a very specific area (near the park) because I love it there, it's within walking distance to a small grocery store, and all of my friends will live within a 6 block radius of me. If I wanted to move further away from my work, friends, and grocery needs, my rent would be a little less.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:29 am 
WRETCHED

I think having stuff in walking distance is worth it. I say go for it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:58 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I'm so pleased my gym is still open over this period. I think they closed Christmas and Boxing day and will be closed New Year's Day but apart from that they're open, but really quiet because it's a university gym and most of the students and staff aren't around. So I get the pool with maybe one or two other people in it, which is lovely.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:20 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I feel kind of bad but I am blowing off my friends tonight. There is a big night out planned but I HATE these nights out. I enjoy the house party beforehand but they are still into the overcrowded pubs and nightclubs. I prefer the quiet pub you can have a conversation. Also it is a 2 hour drive each way so I would have to stay there for the night and I don't have a minder for the dog. Then driving there and driving back after the house party isn't an option either because my meds make me far too tired in the evening for it to be safe for me to drive so much so late at night and there is a storm on the way.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:52 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Well, I wrote the check. I go in on Monday to sign the lease (don't worry, I had him write out and sign something saying it was mine until then). Whoa whoa whoa. So much money just disappeared from my checking account...especially since I still had to pay rent for the current place. Oh well, at least that means I have plenty of time to move.

The apartment is pretty fabulous. Tons and tons of closet and storage space, large kitchen, french doors from the living room to the dining area, french doors again from the living room to the bedroom, balcony that leads off the bedroom, new windows, new stove, central heat, bathtub instead of standing shower, coin operated laundry in the basement. I love it already.

Telling the ex went...ok. He just said ok and then locked himself in his room and smoked a ton of pot. I'm sure it will get all kinds of uncomfortable and awful by the time I actually get everything out, though.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:54 pm 
WELFARIST!

Has anyone ever refrigerated baguette dough? I wanna make a baguette today for my spaghetti meal with fresh garlic bread, but I don't want to make the whole thing, or save half the dough for later and make another loaf in a couple of days--or I may use it for pizza dough...mmm. Think it'll be okay just refrigerated a couple of days and will rise again? I wish Julie Hasson's pizza book was out (I think it's her who's doing one. I need pizza idears).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

seitanicverses wrote:
Has anyone ever refrigerated baguette dough? I wanna make a baguette today for my spaghetti meal with fresh garlic bread, but I don't want to make the whole thing, or save half the dough for later and make another loaf in a couple of days--or I may use it for pizza dough...mmm. Think it'll be okay just refrigerated a couple of days and will rise again? I wish Julie Hasson's pizza book was out (I think it's her who's doing one. I need pizza idears).

I have done a slow rise of bread dough in the fridge. Most of the directions say to bring it to room temp before baking. I know that my grocery store sells vegan pizza dough that you can keep in the fridge for a few days.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:37 pm 
WELFARIST!

^Awesome, thanks. When I looked at my recipe book, I'd actually made notes on the recipe for freezing this dough so I've frozen it in the past. I might not even need to save any of the dough because right now, pre-risen, it only looks like it'll make one longish baguette, maybe. I should have noted to cut back on the salt and it only needs 3 cups of flour (it's the baguette recipe from Garden of Vegan) because I added all the salt and while the dough's not ruined, nothing about the bread will need any more salt! I will make a saltless garlic topping once I've baked the baguettes (*from Chloe's book).

*I mean I'm using the recipe for the baguettes themselves from Garden of Vegan and the garlic bread topping recipe from Chloe's book.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:14 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

allularpunk wrote:
Well, I wrote the check. I go in on Monday to sign the lease (don't worry, I had him write out and sign something saying it was mine until then). Whoa whoa whoa. So much money just disappeared from my checking account...especially since I still had to pay rent for the current place. Oh well, at least that means I have plenty of time to move.

The apartment is pretty fabulous. Tons and tons of closet and storage space, large kitchen, french doors from the living room to the dining area, french doors again from the living room to the bedroom, balcony that leads off the bedroom, new windows, new stove, central heat, bathtub instead of standing shower, coin operated laundry in the basement. I love it already.

Telling the ex went...ok. He just said ok and then locked himself in his room and smoked a ton of pot. I'm sure it will get all kinds of uncomfortable and awful by the time I actually get everything out, though.

I think that place sounds awesome!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:37 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yay allularpunk!

I have four (maybe five) showings lined up in the next 24 hours. Two of them I love from photos, two I may love, and one I don't care for but is cheap.
Damn if I don't find a place in a week!

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:43 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

allularpunk wrote:

That apartment sounds pretty excellent! Hooray for nice places.

I'm snowed in, listening to Frank Turner, and baking belated Christmas-present cookies in my Christmas-present apron. Wooo Saturday!

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:11 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

My hands are cut up like crazy. Paper cuts, a weird slice from a button, and burn from an unknown source.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:06 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

missdelaney wrote:
Yay allularpunk!

I have four (maybe five) showings lined up in the next 24 hours. Two of them I love from photos, two I may love, and one I don't care for but is cheap.
Damn if I don't find a place in a week!

Wow, so many places to look at! I'm happy to have found something so quickly when I needed it, especially since there were only about 3 places I wanted to see and only 1 of them called me to let me have a look through. You'll find something for sure!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:07 am 
Chard Martyr

I'm kind of obsessed with groupon but I rarely actually purchase anything. So anyway, I finally did. 10 yoga classes at a place down the street. I'm pleased.
Silly me, I passed on the awesome indian food one.
Anyone know how to find a good acupuncture person? Are there qualifications or a site where you can look practitioners up?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Sweeeet! My favourite Chinese restaurant rearranged their online menu so that they now have all the veggie stuff on one page! I no longer have to scroll through meat dishes to look for the veggie dishes! It used to be arranged really badly - they'd have a page of, for instance, beef dishes, lamb dishes, and rice, and then another page of pork dishes and noodles, etc. I'm so glad they changed it. Also, I hope Mike can wake up in time for us to actually go there for lunch today; we went to bed around 4am (I was trying to sleep from shortly after 3, but he stayed awake reading).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:34 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Two houses down- I loved the first one, but it's the high end of our budget, so I have to ask the roommate before we apply (the landlord is really cool and loves that I work for my company), the other I just applied for because it was cheap, but if he agrees to the first place...I'm canceling that check. I'm almost positive I can get the first house.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made chocolate chip cookies to take to a party. One of Mike's friends discovered he's lactose intolerant and asked for chocolate chip cookies ages (well, about a month and a half) ago. But I'm going to a party where the hosts only eat fairtrade chocolate. Of course I won't take non-fairtrade chocolate to their house because I wouldn't want someone bringing anything non-vegan to my house, so I had to chop up a chocolate bar for the chocolate chips (because I couldn't find fairtrade chocolate chips).

The point of this story is that I used some of the dough to make cookie sammiches. I almost never make them because they feel like such a hassle (with the rolling and the shaping and such - I'm more of a drop cookie type), but I'm so glad I did. I want to eat the last one, but I also wanna save it for tomorrow. OOH, I can use some of the smaller cookies to make a small one with the leftover frosting! I'm so glad I thought of that! Now I can save my precious giant cookie sammich for tomorrow. Mmm...giant cookie sammich.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:12 pm 
Chip Strong

My husband says to me today about a NYE party we are supposed to go to tomorrow.. what should he wear, he doesn't have anything/anything that fits (true), will I buy him a sweater tomorrow? (He has to work tomorrow and I don't). The reason he has nothing is because he refuses to buy clothes for himself ever, believing it to be entirely a waste of money. The only clothes he does wear is jeans, sneakers, plain t-shirts or sports logo stuff. I do not want to shop for him or dress him. I am not his mother. It grates on me and the whole way he acts all helpless about it is a big annoyance/turn off. And also that he couldn't think about this like a month ago when we were invited to said party. Has to be the day before, and it's on me. This is not my responsibility!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:46 pm 
WELFARIST!

I just ordered this hemp hoodlamb ladies jacket in ocean blue and I found it online for a *cheaper price than I've seen anywhere and from a company in Canada with free shipping: http://www.ecotopiia.com/shop/Hemp+Hood ... acket.html

Can't wait for it to arrive. I need a warm new bomber jacket type coat.

*actually, I'm a bit afraid something might go wrong/be off. It seems too good to be true!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:48 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'm irritated with people who talk seemingly only to hear themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:59 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

The stupid landlords posted this place as for rent... but don't disturb the tenants. People poking around my yard and parking in the middle of the street is not disturbing at all.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:13 am 
Shopped till she dropped

seitanicverses wrote:
I just ordered this hemp hoodlamb ladies jacket in ocean blue and I found it online for a *cheaper price than I've seen anywhere and from a company in Canada with free shipping: http://www.ecotopiia.com/shop/Hemp+Hood ... acket.html

Can't wait for it to arrive. I need a warm new bomber jacket type coat.

*actually, I'm a bit afraid something might go wrong/be off. It seems too good to be true!

SUPER cute. I really love that blue!

ETA: I did a little googling and found there's a longer version too, which would be perfecto for frigid Chicago winters. Now where can I find an extra $500+ lying around?

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1221, 1222, 1223, 1224, 1225, 1226, 1227 ... 1847  Next