| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 427, 428, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433 ... 617  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:52 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

LW, what kilgore said. I was definitely like that in high school, because I wasn't being encouraged at home to amount to anything. Seriously, my parents didn't even care if I graduated highschool. Please don't take it personally, because it's likely about them and not a reflection of anything you're doing or not doing. I had some amazing teachers, but that didn't stop the self-loathing and not caring about my future.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:52 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

kilgore trout wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
It's only a low dose. I've been intermittently forgetting to take it for years. I guess it helps; I shouldn't forget.

The students don't give a crepe. They don't study, don't do their work, don't come to class. More than a third are failing, and I'll probably be fired for it. The grades are so low and so much missing, that there is nothing I can do to fudge. I'm just told to "work with the kids." we are t supposed to fail anybody. I had an email tonight from a mom. Egging me to talk to her son about grades. He just laughs at me and stops coming to class anytime I talk to him. He informs me that he doesn't need this class to graduate, so he isn't going to do anything. For most of the kids, they are just in my class to kill a credit, not because they need a science to graduate, so they are totally cool with doing nothing and failing. I can't fight that attitude. They also continually tell me they wish they had the other teacher who they see as being more fun because she is close to their own age (she is a good teacher, but I think she is way too chummy with them).

Oh, I'm sorry. For what it's worth, I was a little like that at times in high school, and...I'm really, really sorry about it. I feel like I should just visit my high school and make rounds apologizing to all the teachers I had. I know that doesn't help now.
Ironically, I'm going to be a teacher, so I suppose I'll be dealing with the same kind of kid I was.

Me too! I mean, I actually did OK, but I definitely was too concerned with OMG TEH DRAMZ and I don't even know what else. I'm hoping to foster in my nieces and nephew (and my own kids if I have them) that learning is really cool. I think your classes sound really cool, LW, and I wish the kids would just get over themselves and enjoy it and appreciate all the hard work you do!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh, man mars, when I first learned to roller skate (like, 8 years ago? For roller derby) I had a perpetually bruised/cracked/forked up tailbone and sat on an inflatable donut for weeks and weeks. I cannot imagine smacking a tailbone from which an abscess had recently been drained. Jesus.

Flava, I agree with what others have said. When I have awful or traumatic events in my life, or depression gets very bad, being aware of my alcohol intake it other potentially unhealthy stuff is a good thing, even if my realization is i am drinking too much/eating too much or too little/sleeping all the time/ whatever. Being able to recognize that stuff is a huge, huge step. For me, it's when i can't acknowledge that I've been drinking all day, every day for the past x-number of weeks that I've really gone off the rails. Good luck to you in finding healthy coping mechanisms that work for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah, but my job depends on them now. Their test scores determine my future.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:25 am 

I'm feeling pretty good overall, but my face is swollen from surgery and my eyelashes are poking my eye. It feels so gross! Though I'm putting the taste of the antibiotics as a close second. Even in apple juice it tastes poopy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I had a really hard time waking up this morning, for some reason. Got ready and drove to work, but I didn't have any appointments on the schedule, and I work on commission, so there's no point in being there if I don't have any grooms. I took Toby with me (I groom at a dog daycare), and he was excited as shiitake, so I didn't want to take him back home, so now I have to drive back out there to pick him up later.

I'm sort of complaining about a free dogsitter though. I guess that's not so bad in the grand scheme of things... just wish I could've made some money today, or at least slept in if I couldn't do that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:35 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

spent a good half hour in bed wanting to get up, but avoiding it because my head was hurting horribly. and then I needed to pee. happy Monday!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:59 am 
Nailed to the V

"I do not have to urinate"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:03 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

For everyone in this thread, I give you the best, warmest greetings for better days from the fine fellow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:14 pm 
Nailed to the V

OMG I've seen this guy at a chinese buffet today :O

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:39 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

If I were the sort of person who said squee then that is what I would be doing right now. Tophatctopus!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:18 pm 
ugh

My grandmother went into the hospital a couple days ago from a bad fall, which is bad enough in itself. But now my dad is begging me to lend him some money since he can't borrow any from my grandmother as he usually does. I told him I couldn't and he was so upset he hung up without saying goodbye. And this is the first I've heard from him since before Christmas.

The last time he "borrowed" money from me (he never pays anything back), it started out a couple hundred here, a couple hundred there until I was out $5,000 or so. I probably made the right decision since I'm trying to save up for some big expenses (wedding, condo/house) but I feel terribly guilty about it.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:28 pm 
Impressive boner

baps wrote:
j-dub wrote:
Yeah, I'm totally, totally wiped all the time. But also really can't afford to miss more work, so...I will see how I'm feeling tomorrow and take it from there. I may see if I can just work half days this week or something. I wish I could work from home!

Take it easy and at your own pace!

Everyone I knew who had gallbladder removed (or 'knew someone who did') was apparently fine after a few days and I think my boss expected me back to work after a week. But I had to get signed off by the doc. It was 2 full weeks before I felt even remotely ok enough to go back to work and even then I wasn't fully over it. I was struggling to twist and sitting in a desk chair for long periods of time was painful for a bit. And that is keyhole surgery!

Edit: oh and gas pain, yeah that was awful. For me, aside from my stomach feeling huge and bloated, it was my shoulder! Everytime I stood up (or struggled to my feet with help from my mum) it shot up to my right shoulder. So painful. They didn't warn me about that.

I did go back to work after two weeks and developed infections in three of the four incisions, which meant more time off work and more antibiotics.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:25 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

b.vicious wrote:
My grandmother went into the hospital a couple days ago from a bad fall, which is bad enough in itself. But now my dad is begging me to lend him some money since he can't borrow any from my grandmother as he usually does. I told him I couldn't and he was so upset he hung up without saying goodbye. And this is the first I've heard from him since before Christmas.

The last time he "borrowed" money from me (he never pays anything back), it started out a couple hundred here, a couple hundred there until I was out $5,000 or so. I probably made the right decision since I'm trying to save up for some big expenses (wedding, condo/house) but I feel terribly guilty about it.

You've nothing to feel guilty about, from the sounds of it you've went above and beyond for someone who doesn't appreciate it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:08 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

8ball wrote:
baps wrote:
j-dub wrote:
Yeah, I'm totally, totally wiped all the time. But also really can't afford to miss more work, so...I will see how I'm feeling tomorrow and take it from there. I may see if I can just work half days this week or something. I wish I could work from home!

Take it easy and at your own pace!

Everyone I knew who had gallbladder removed (or 'knew someone who did') was apparently fine after a few days and I think my boss expected me back to work after a week. But I had to get signed off by the doc. It was 2 full weeks before I felt even remotely ok enough to go back to work and even then I wasn't fully over it. I was struggling to twist and sitting in a desk chair for long periods of time was painful for a bit. And that is keyhole surgery!

Edit: oh and gas pain, yeah that was awful. For me, aside from my stomach feeling huge and bloated, it was my shoulder! Everytime I stood up (or struggled to my feet with help from my mum) it shot up to my right shoulder. So painful. They didn't warn me about that.

I did go back to work after two weeks and developed infections in three of the four incisions, which meant more time off work and more antibiotics.

Yikes! I think my incisions are all past the point of infection being an option now. I worked 9:30-2:15 today then came home. I will do the same tomorrow but instead of home go to a follow-up with the surgeon. It was really nice to be out of the house! But man am I tired now...

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:11 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Falling-on-me-bum pain is super ouch, and I have put out all my feelers to my available cuddle boys and so far... Crickets! So annoyed. Grumpy. Want snuggles.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:44 am 

Bananas seem to make the roof of my mouth hurt a lot :( So I'm sipping my smoothie and drinking water after each sip.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:04 am 
Semen Strong

I hurt my knee and am going to have to miss out on vegan dim sum with PPKer :(

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:28 am 
Chip Strong

Notre Dame lost............

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:20 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Tofulish wrote:
I hurt my knee and am going to have to miss out on vegan dim sum with PPKer :(

Jaysus what the hell is with the knees today?!?! I went for a run today and after a quick warmup (which i never do) CLICK, the knee got all weird and i thought "oh fork this is the end", my ligament was palpably in the wrong place. I immediately stopped and went into the stretches the PT taught me, and it eventually moved back to where it was supposed to be, but holy frigging panic attack.
Hope your knee gets itself sorted. as for vegan dim sum, lalalala......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:25 pm 

I'm going to whine here for shiitakes and giggles. I hope you all with real problems will get a laugh.

WORST THING: The universe keeps testing me to 'do the right thing.' I hate it. Last year I was accidentally given like 2x's the bonus I was supposed to receive at work. OK, I knew they'd probably ask for it back eventually anyway, but I was all noble and shiitake and brought it to their attention stat. NOW for the love, I ordered some vegan candy online, received it, and gobbled most of it up, and I just received notification that the shipment is on the way. I really, really wanted to just receive the shipment and gobble it up a second time, but I just, ugh! Conscience! Conscience versus toasted coconut marshmallows. It's like, the worst example of the epic battle of good versus evil. And evil is the most delicious thing ever.

ETA: The real worst thing is going on today to see if I can pay the fee for Wilson's last bit of immigration paperwork on line and realizing they've raised it by $100! I can work it out of course, but it's just frustrating to me as the process is costly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:15 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Started crying at work when my boss yelled at me. It was over the phone so he didn't see me, but still. Normally I don't let him get to me, but this is just a shitty, shitty week, and I'm emotionally all over the place. My grandma is dying and I just did not need it right now. And now I'm distracted and feeling sorry for myself and I'm not being productive at work anyway! Less than an hour and I am bolting out the door. I want to go home.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:46 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

ndpittman wrote:
ETA: The real worst thing is going on today to see if I can pay the fee for Wilson's last bit of immigration paperwork on line and realizing they've raised it by $100! I can work it out of course, but it's just frustrating to me as the process is costly.

I just finished watching Like Crazy, and thought of you and Wilson the whole time. Hope you kids get some good news and get to see each other soon.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:54 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Ended things with someone I've been dating for like 5 weeks last night and it had to happen but I am still suuuuper bummed about it because I really liked her.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:00 pm 

kara kara wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

I just finished watching Like Crazy, and thought of you and Wilson the whole time. Hope you kids get some good news and get to see each other soon.

Thank you so much kara kara for your thoughts. I've never heard of that movie, but after watching the trailer, I don't think I'll be watching it soon. The ban that the mention is what I'm submitting the petition to waive (and that is now $585 instead of $485). Maybe once we hear about that and I make sure Jennifer Lawrence isn't anywhere near Brazil I'll check out the movie. Ordinarily it looks like it'd be right up my alley.

I did get to talk to Wilson today, but I won't get to talk to him again until Sunday, after he's back from Rio and his visa interview. I'm so nervous and worried for him. He's never been to Rio, and I know the city scares and intimidates him. Plus it's 15 hours by bus one way. So any good thoughts of protection anyone can send into the universe are appreciated.

(He isn't going to get a visa at this time; this is more of a formality. He has to have this interview so I can submit the petition for a waiver, then he'll have to go back to Rio. As long as everything works out, I may never let him out of my sight again.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 427, 428, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433 ... 617  Next