| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1243, 1244, 1245, 1246, 1247, 1248, 1249 ... 1864  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space to post things that do not go with any other topic
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:17 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Guess what I learned today? Why imported mangoes in the US (and EU, I'm assuming) taste like crepe!

To avoid spread of a fruit fly that has been eradicated in the US and other countries, mangoes must undergo a hot-water quarantine treatment, which "when applicable, entails immersion of the fruit in water heated to 46C for 75 or 90 minutes, depending on fruit size, as a way of assuring that the temperature reaches the area near the pit."
Poor Mr Mango has already been picked prematurely to survive handling, washed in bleach, covered in a microcrystalline wax which, thanks to demands from Greeny Mc Treehuggers, may include beeswax without special labeling, and then is cooled down to 10C over three days and then liberated for shipping after a further two to three days. Shipping via refrigerated container takes god-only-knows how long.

Holy cow. The taste of mangoes here (where that silliness is not required) is so shockingly intense. I raise my mango to you poor souls who have only had fibrous, blah mangoes [like my mother, who has never had a good one.]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:21 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Torque I'm guessing that this might be why I hate mangos. I can't wait to try a good one one day.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:23 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

creep wrote:
raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Well, hello, neighbour purchasing drugs right in front of your house. Could you be any more conspicuous?

I believe our neighbor does this too, except he's probably the seller, not the buyer. There are constantly cars pulling up the driveway to the back of the house and backing almost immediately back out. One time though, it was a guy on a scooter who stopped at the bottom of the driveway, and I definitely saw something exchange hands before he drove away.

RC--same neighbor with the light?

Torque, I was telling my grandma today about picking mangoes in Brazil. She asked if they were like the ones here, and I just laughed. Then I told her that there's more than one kind of banana and blew her mind.

My grandma's been. In the hospital this week, but she's pretty much ok, I think. She should be headed home tomorrow. She's in superb spirits, but does not want any more prunes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:26 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Gah, you guys! On a whim I'm going to an audition tonight. I studied acting in my my early twenties and have since found more suitable career paths, but still, I went reasonably far with it and know my way around a script. Yikes!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

ndpittman wrote:
RC--same neighbor with the light?

No, different house! The house with the light has only had a white light for a few months now. I assume that means nothing is going on. (Although, I suppose it could mean "we have cocaine!") But last summer, someone from the house-with-light called the police, saying they "didn't feel safe in the house". The police went there, but could not locate the caller. Super sketchy! I kept checking the police report in the paper to see if there would be another call, but I haven't seen anything about that address since then.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:05 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

torque wrote:
Guess what I learned today? Why imported mangoes in the US (and EU, I'm assuming) taste like crepe!

To avoid spread of a fruit fly that has been eradicated in the US and other countries, mangoes must undergo a hot-water quarantine treatment, which "when applicable, entails immersion of the fruit in water heated to 46C for 75 or 90 minutes, depending on fruit size, as a way of assuring that the temperature reaches the area near the pit."
Poor Mr Mango has already been picked prematurely to survive handling, washed in bleach, covered in a microcrystalline wax which, thanks to demands from Greeny Mc Treehuggers, may include beeswax without special labeling, and then is cooled down to 10C over three days and then liberated for shipping after a further two to three days. Shipping via refrigerated container takes god-only-knows how long.

Holy cow. The taste of mangoes here (where that silliness is not required) is so shockingly intense. I raise my mango to you poor souls who have only had fibrous, blah mangoes [like my mother, who has never had a good one.]

one of my main goals in this lifetime is to have a fresh mango in its natural habitat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:25 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I am so, so sick of all these lazy asparagus kids who do NOTHING all quarter, then turn in a massive pile of work, work that I chased them down and handed to them in a neatly stapled packet, pestering me now for their grades. Putting together all those packets took me HOURS, and I shouldn't have had to do that for 18 your olds.

I stayed late on Friday (so it took me forking forever to drive home) to grade most of it and I emailed you those reports. Whining about the very few things yet to grade is extremely obnoxious, especially since not one of you thanked me for a) accepting all this late crepe so you can fix your 11% average, b) getting together individual collections of the missing work that you could have gotten offline yourself and c) grading as much as I did so quickly.

I know this sounds hostile, but I am tired of spending 50% of my time dealing with this issue. These kids don't really have major life issues other than being lazy. They do stuff when they feel like it. The biggest problem is my class is an elective to them so they don't care if they get an F. Of course, my job depends on their grades. Some of them are football players who managed to get their C while the season was on. Now that they don't need eligibiligity, they don't give a shiitake.

12 emails just today from these kids, whining. Please note that they never acknowledged the emails that I've been sending them all quarter about their grades and make up opportunities. If I ask them, they shrug and say they didn't get them. I guess the magic email stars aligned to allow them to get this particular grade report email.

/rant

I was going to grade some of the unit tests tonight, but I'm going to go play Civ V instead. They can get their tests back on Thursday.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:45 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

That's really unappetizing about the mangoes. And I love papaya (duh), but it's one of those fruits that is really only edible if it's in the country it's grown in. I've had papaya in Cuba and Mexico that were both magical, but here's it's always meh at best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:13 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Though that is super gross about the mangoes, it makes me think that fresh ones must be the most awesome thing ever. I actually really like the mangoes we can get here, so I think my mouth would just explode with happiness if I ever get to eat a fresh one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:51 pm 
And you never will.

The PPK is its own world in my head, and sometimes I forget other people don't live here. Earlier tonight my husband saw something on my facebook and asked me "who is ____?" and I was like "oh, that's creep!" and he was like "...what?"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:23 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My dog is so gross. I kept smelling gross poopy smell after she came into my room. I checked all her feet in case she stepped in it, but they were all clean. Finally figured out that she had had loose stools and it was stuck all over the long hair on her butt. I tried to wash it out with wet soapy towels, but I can still smell it. Ugh. Bathtime tomorrow!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:00 am 
Dead by dawn

Wheee!!! I booked my plane tickets to Austin for my marathon next month and biker boy is going with me! I'm so excited for my run, for the awesome-ness that is Austin (especially food!) and for 6 days with biker boy (the most time we've spent together so far.) My sister and her friend E are also running, and my brother-in-law is coming too, and my other sister who lives in Houston says she's going to be at the finish line (but she's a major flake so that might not happen.) So excited!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:18 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Ugh, LW, that is crepe. I feel for you. I've been dealing with crepe like that with my creative writing elective, and I'm sick of it. If you sign up for an elective, then DO THE WORK. If you don't want to, then don't sign up for the class! You're amazing for doing all that for them. Enjoy playing Civ! I just did a bunch of grading, and I need to update my online gradebook, but I'm beat, and I'm constantly working, so instead I'm cuddling the cat and internetting. Self-care is important!

Monkeytoes, that is awesome! I hear Austin is super fun and has some amazing vegan food. Plus, traveling with the boy! Fun!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:03 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm at work and I'm trying really hard not to google 'cat penis'.

(because I saw my cat's penis this morning and I was wondering if it generally looks like that or if he's getting a UTI or blockage again - yes, I worry, sue me)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:08 am 
WELFARIST!

As much as I'd love to hear the story of you searching "cat penis" while at work, what if you just google, "How to know if your cat has a UTI?"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:18 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

He's had one before, I didn't see anything (yet?) to indicate that behaviour-wise. It can just escalate so quickly and I don't want my poor lil' man to be so sick again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:51 am 
WELFARIST!

I worked until 11pm the other night, couldn't sleep at all, then had to be back to work at 7am yesterday and I was so dead tired and out of it that I felt really off my game and did a terrible job at work and feel bad now. I felt super stressed out and was shorter with people than I normally would be, generally unhelpful and didn't get as much work done as I feel like I could have. I feel like I let myself down and my work. I'm hoping that nobody brings it up and they just realize that I was just stressed that day and that it's unlike me. If someone talks to me about it I'm going to feel even worse.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:11 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I've been up since 5. I don't know why I always do this to myself on the morning of a new job, but I do.

I'm also extremely anxious because it turns out that what we thought was a UTI with Rowdy is actually something more serious, and I'm taking him this morning to have bladder surgery. It turns out that after he finished the antibiotics, he was still straining to pee, plus he has a tapeworm (yum!) and while none of this is the ex's fault, and he is doing the right things with getting him checked out, etc, I hate that I'm not there to supervise every little thing. We had him at the vet on Saturday to get his booster shots and check out these various ailments, and he peed while we were talking to her and it was red again and there were forking blood clots in it. Like, 3 huge clots. I didn't even know that was possible, and she was like, whoa, and felt his bladder and said there was something in it so today he has surgery to see if he has a stone (hopefully) or cancer.

She acted like this surgery was pretty routine and not to worry about that part, but surgery scares the crepe out of me, and I hate the idea of leaving my dog at the vet without us all day, where I am sure he will be lonely and sad. Also, if he has cancer, I don't even know...

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:32 am 
Chard Martyr

Up since 3:50A and have no idea why. Tried to meditate my way back to sleep but just ended up on Groupon, wanting a million different ones.
Perhaps a run at 5.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:41 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

It's 3:40 here and I'm up! Sigh. I hate waking up early because I feel like I need to stay awake or I'll sleep too long and be late for work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:22 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Space to post things that do not go with no ability to sleep ever.

high fives!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:55 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Bf and I made pizza last night: my mum's tomatoe sauce, cashew ricotta, spicy tempeh crumbs, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini, and more ricotta. It was magical. And I still have 4 portions, duly freezed for later consumption. It can snow all it wants now!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:32 am 
Chard Martyr

That sounds awesome, Anek!
It's forking cold here.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:44 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Just got back from the vet. Rowdy is an unhappy pup, being left there. He snapped at the vet tech... Now I'm drinking coffee and am preparing to anxiously await a phone call from them all day, while still trying to be productive and attentive at the new job. I'm sure my boss will understand (like, why I will be glued to my phone all day), but I feel bad being distracted on day one. Then again, if you're going to be distracted about anything, this seems like a worthy thing.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:58 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Good thoughts for Rowdy! Poor puppy. That's definitely an understandable reason to be distracted.

I guess I have a Twitter now

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1243, 1244, 1245, 1246, 1247, 1248, 1249 ... 1864  Next