| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 94  Next
 Post subject: Re: Facebook Awkwardness
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The relief! He just accepted my friend request! Now I can sleep well tonight!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:59 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Arisaig wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
creep wrote:
This is the least awkward, best thing my grandmother has ever reposted on Facebook:

I kind of want this as a stamp for freshman essays, but that would just be mean!

When I took English 100 (freshman English literature) the prof would grade papers based on the content and then deduct marks for bad grammar and spelling - this was long before the days of spell check and green squiggly lines. I had no marks deducted thanks to my excellent high school teacher but the boy sitting in front of me had a negative mark (he showed it to me, laughing). If you corrected all the mistakes and resubmitted the paper you would get the original grade based on content.
Unfortunately, spell check and green (or red) squiggly lines don't seem to make that much difference for some kids. Your professor's policy still seems very fair, though; I'll think it over for next time I teach English 1!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:10 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

daisychain wrote:
The relief! He just accepted my friend request! Now I can sleep well tonight!

Yay!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:20 pm 
WRETCHED

It is funny but I like a FB page for a pretty famous singer but who has been dead for 10 years. There is someone posting on the page which is fine but it amuses me when people post "love your music!". I'm like... do you not realize it isn't them posting?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:35 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

linanil wrote:
It is funny but I like a FB page for a pretty famous singer but who has been dead for 10 years. There is someone posting on the page which is fine but it amuses me when people post "love your music!". I'm like... do you not realize it isn't them posting?
Vaguely related to this is the phenomenon of FB pages living on after their original users have died. I've become more aware of this recently because I've had three friends pass away this year (yeah, you can kiss my asparagus and walk out the door anytime, 2013, because you pretty much suck), and their pages have become...not exactly memorials, per se, but a sort of liminal space where the person still "exists" in a way. Friends will post things the person would have liked, address them directly (as in, "I heard this song today and thought of you"), and interact with other friends of the person. At first I found it somewhat disconcerting, but really it's just a step or so on from not quite being able to delete someone's phone number or address; it's a way of keeping them in the world, or at least in our news feeds. It's pretty interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:21 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

daisychain wrote:
After weeks of nagging from a friend I finally requested my crush on Facebook. Now for the awful waiting around to see if he accepts or not.

I have a different problem. I am usually afraid to friend request men that I know because I assume they will think I am flirting, and it will be awkward, when I simply want to be their facebook friend. I think that is just my issue to get over. Hmphh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:25 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i plan on changing my mom's FB settings so she can't be tagged (or at least if she's tagged, it won't be posted to her page.) before i set it to be memorialized.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:29 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Mr. Shankly wrote:

There are so many things I want to say in response but I don't really feel like it's worth it on FB.

Oh this is SO incredibly annoying when people I know post stuff like this. Sometimes I set it so I don't see their posts unless I go looking but I had a friend (former boss) who was always posting these graphic pictures about aborted fetuses and 'losers on food stamps' and I finally unfriended her. I do post political stuff at times and anyone who is offended can block or unfriend me too. If it's someone I really care about I just block them from the newsfeed.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

pepperpot wrote:
Oh wow! I just checked out this "Other messages" you all were talking about. Turns out a high school classmate (we graduated in 2000) messaged me last month. Just a quick "Hey, is this N--- from M--- High School? How've you been?" type message. I haven't kept in touch with anyone from school, but I do remember her and she was a really nice person. Would it be weird to respond a month later, or should I ignore it? A quick look at her page tells me she lives in NY now, so it's not like I'll run into her or anything. Hmmm.....what to do?

This ended well! I took everyone's advice here and replied to her message. She replied back, and we are now Facebook friends.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:14 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

lepelaar wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
Yep, just spent about a week utterly panicking that a really good friend of mine was mad at me about something and wasn't telling me what, and had blocked me from seeing her FB posts. Turns out she just accidentally added me to a restricted filter when she meant to restrict somebody else. Good thing I asked her what was up instead of just assuming she was mad at me! I'm actually a little annoyed with myself for letting myself get so upset about it before I knew was was up.

Yes! I actually had the same thing happen lately with a PPKer! I realized I couldn't see her posts (although she'd been liking/commenting on mine) and I was breaking my head trying to figure out how I might have offended her. I didn't want to put her on the spot, but I also would want to know if I'd done something that had hurt/upset her. So I asked and she was as surprised as I was! Apparently, I just hadn't been added to one of the lists she uses for posting! So yeah, sometimes it is totally worth it to ask!

A couple years ago, Facebook unfriended me from a PPKer with whom I'm actually really good friends and whom I'd just met in person for the first time a few weeks before! I'm kind of embarrassed by how long it took me to get up the courage to ask that person what was up, and it turned out they thought I was mad at them and unfriended them, since of course they hadn't done it either. It was pretty alarming to me how easily I could have just completely lost a friendship that is really important in my life, all because of a computer error.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:24 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

You know what's awkward? When one of your favorite bands, The Thermals, posts a picture of the lead singer wearing a 'mustard nazi' costume, and yes there was a swastika and a Hitler mustache. And then when people get offended he tells people to 'get over it' and 'stop being butthurt' and likes homophobic comments from responders. And then he made like two more updates about it that were all defensive and really digging into his right to make Hitler jokes. Which gave other people carte blanche to make Hitler jokes and it was really gross and I had to unlike the page and unfollow them on twitter because I don't want to look at the BS.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:47 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I really don't understand why people announce Facebook culls on Facebook. Why not go ahead and just do it? Is it meant to make us all beg to be saved or make us sit here nervously and wait for our status as a friend to verified or wait to be sent to the naughty corner of no friendship?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:27 am 
WRETCHED

Desdemona wrote:
linanil wrote:
Vaguely related to this is the phenomenon of FB pages living on after their original users have died. I've become more aware of this recently because I've had three friends pass away this year (yeah, you can kiss my asparagus and walk out the door anytime, 2013, because you pretty much suck), and their pages have become...not exactly memorials, per se, but a sort of liminal space where the person still "exists" in a way. Friends will post things the person would have liked, address them directly (as in, "I heard this song today and thought of you"), and interact with other friends of the person. At first I found it somewhat disconcerting, but really it's just a step or so on from not quite being able to delete someone's phone number or address; it's a way of keeping them in the world, or at least in our news feeds. It's pretty interesting.

Interesting, I wouldn't equate the two but I understand. In the singers instance, their FB page was created after their death. Maybe people like commenting though as if she is still alive though. I hadn't thought about it that way.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:26 am 
Flounceiad 2011

linanil wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
linanil wrote:
Interesting, I wouldn't equate the two but I understand. In the singers instance, their FB page was created after their death. Maybe people like commenting though as if she is still alive though. I hadn't thought about it that way.
Oh, I didn't mean that the two were actually the same, or even necessarily performing the same sort function - although I suppose there may be some overlap/vague relationship between them? - it was more that your post reminded me of what seems like an emerging phenomenon. (And one that probably isn't going away any time soon, since people will keep on dying, and it looks like FB is here for awhile!) As I said above, I've only really become aware of it this past year, because of particular circumstances; I wonder if anyone has been writing about/commenting on it?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:48 pm 
Nooch of Earl

mrsbadmouth wrote:
You know what's awkward? When one of your favorite bands, The Thermals, posts a picture of the lead singer wearing a 'mustard nazi' costume, and yes there was a swastika and a Hitler mustache. And then when people get offended he tells people to 'get over it' and 'stop being butthurt' and likes homophobic comments from responders. And then he made like two more updates about it that were all defensive and really digging into his right to make Hitler jokes. Which gave other people carte blanche to make Hitler jokes and it was really gross and I had to unlike the page and unfollow them on twitter because I don't want to look at the BS.

Wow. Here's to your future, somewhere outside my iTunes library!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:58 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

annak wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

Wow. Here's to your future, somewhere outside my iTunes library!

ZING!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:08 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I don't understand Bitstrips

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:04 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Mars wrote:
I don't understand Bitstrips

Me either! Everything about the medium screams "this is supposed to be funny" but they never are. I even try to read them in my sarcastic voice, like for Jim's Journal, but it doesn't help.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:56 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Samesies. I don't even understand why people would want to spend their time making one. Hopefully it will be a short-lived phenomenon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:07 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

because of this thread I had to google what a bitstrip is.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:12 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Are those the cartoon things that look like Daria?

I'm lazier than lobsteriffic so I'm not googling it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:24 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

strawberryrock wrote:
Are those the cartoon things that look like Daria?

I'm lazier than lobsteriffic so I'm not googling it.

Ha, I'll share the fruits of my googling: yes!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:54 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I hate bitstrips.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/3 ... 78998.html

There is one exception, who uses her bitstrip to good advantage by vomiting awesomeness, and she is exempt from my criticism. You know who you are, and i salute you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:50 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I actually don't even mind that they're there, I feel no need to block them (luckily they're fairly few an far between on my feed still)... I just... Don't understand what people are trying to say in them. Usually they just feel like some inside joke I'm just not cool enough to get.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:34 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I love bitstrips! I don't necessarily think they're supposed to be funny - it's just cool that people can represent themselves in cartoon format.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 94  Next