| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Would you get a lawyer or am I just being stupid?
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:58 am 
<3

I wish you luck. You are being harassed. When I owned my house I was harassed by a male neighbor who spread vicious rumors around the neighborhood which everyone believed. There was nothing I could do about it. Luckily I sold the house.

If she comes into your apartment again or puts a hand on you, I would call the police immediately.

There was nothing I could do about the garbage in my yard and vandalism to my house or the rock thrown at my car.

Anyway of recording any of her activity? If she comes in your house get her on video or camera. It's proof anyway.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:03 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Yeah, I agree with what a lot of what people have suggested, and also want to add the reminder that landlords/ladies/people are...people, too, and many of them are compassionate and ethical people who will choose to do the right thing in this situation, not base their actions on what's most financially advantageous for them. I never encountered a situation like this when I was renting, but I feel pretty confident that if someone were queer-baiting me in my apartment complex and I had reported it to the apartment managers, they would have done everything they could to address the situation appropriately, simply because it's Not Okay to harass your gay neighbor. So unless you know your apartment manager is a jerk and/or homophobe, I'd suggest giving them the benefit of the doubt and operating under the assumption that they will in fact do the right thing unless they demonstrate otherwise.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:45 pm 
Inflexitarian

I wanted to update everybody with a happy ending to the story that shows, yes, people can be good ^_^

I talked to the security officer and manager of the complex, and explained in detail and apparently OTHER residents have complained about this woman's obsession with me; they were just waiting for an official complaint from me. She's been talked to, told if she even is seen hanging outside of my apartment the cops are being called. The complex manager wanted me to know that it's nobody's business what I do in the bedroom; all he cares about is I don't start trouble and am responsible. Which is awesome; knowing I can just..be. And safe. They also pointed out the security office is right next to my apartment so it's easy to see if she's causing anything, but to call them on my cell phone if they don't see it.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:08 pm 
Dead by dawn

That's a relief, PhoenixKitty! I'd keep documenting in case it has to escalate from security to police, but it sure is good to know that you have management, security and your neighbors on your side.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:15 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

What a relief, PhoenixKitty! Also, she followed you from another town????

I'm so glad the security and management of your complex was understanding--and that everyone else noticed the creep hanging out! Hopefully she will be dissuaded from lurking.

Best wishes!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:31 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yeah, the fact that she followed you from another town makes it even more serious. That would be something I would mention to the landlord/security/authorities.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:59 am 
Flounceiad 2011

bunniee wrote:
I don't understand why you wouldn't call the police. It doesn't matter that she was a former roommate, the woman has no legal right to just walk into your apartment! Una and others have some great advice here.
jordanpattern wrote:
Call the police. If you need to fight/initiate eviction proceedings, or if you would consider a civil suit, that is when you get a lawyer. Now, you protect yourself by calling the cops. As Una and Tofulish said, keep records of everything you do, and write down specifically the things she's doing to you.

Do what you need to do to get this woman out of your life. She's a crasshole who seems to feel like she's entitled to a say in your life. Don't let her!
All of this. Please get this taken care of ASAP so you can get on with your life and get this horrible person out of it!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Desdemona wrote:
bunniee wrote:
I don't understand why you wouldn't call the police. It doesn't matter that she was a former roommate, the woman has no legal right to just walk into your apartment! Una and others have some great advice here.
jordanpattern wrote:
Call the police. If you need to fight/initiate eviction proceedings, or if you would consider a civil suit, that is when you get a lawyer. Now, you protect yourself by calling the cops. As Una and Tofulish said, keep records of everything you do, and write down specifically the things she's doing to you.

Do what you need to do to get this woman out of your life. She's a crasshole who seems to feel like she's entitled to a say in your life. Don't let her!
All of this. Please get this taken care of ASAP so you can get on with your life and get this horrible person out of it!

Call the police and give them the details about what has happened so far. She's dangerous.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:00 am 
Semen Strong

This is an old thread. Is there a reason for reviving it?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:12 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

It was revived by a spammer. Along with a bunch of other threads with "lawyer" in the title.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

now i'm curious if the woman stayed or moved out of the complex/town.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:28 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I certainly hope she learned her lesson and moved away.

Maybe she even came out of the closet and learned that what she did was NOT the proper way to flirt.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:15 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

In my (thankfully limited) experience, once neighbors go that far over the edge they aren't paying rent either, so eviction isn't far behind. Hopefully this one left the OP alone after this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:38 pm 
Inflexitarian

Holy necro O.o Yes, I do not live in that town. And other than a drunken Facebook message (from her) have had no contact with that woman.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

good! yay for your neighbors and landlord sticking up for you!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2