| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oddest thing said to you recently?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:51 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Today I told my landlord my heater is broke...

His response 'well, why didn't you call me and make an appointment?'

ummm... because I am not psychic? That just hit me like the stupidest comment ever... How was I supposed to know when it would break?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:03 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

So I was walking the baby around outside the laundromat the other day (he was getting bored) and a hippy-looking dude asked me if I had any change so he could get to a Neil Young show. I figured that was a good story, so I gave him the 50 cents I had in my pocket. He then asked me if I had anything else, like more change or roaches from my ashtray. And he asked it really forcefully. Several times. "Any roaches? Anything? Roaches? In your ashtray?" Apparently I reek of pot smoke or something.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

amethyst wrote:
I once walked into a convenience store after getting gas and was asked in an accusatory tone by a store employee why I wasn't in school that day.

(I was 28 at the time.)

When I was home (from uni, as a mature student) a few years ago, I was walking to the store. There was a crossing guard at one of the lights, and she insisted on 'helping' me cross. As she walked me across the street (on a green man), she asked me what school I went to! I think I was about 27!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

solipsistnation wrote:
So I was walking the baby around outside the laundromat the other day (he was getting bored) and a hippy-looking dude asked me if I had any change so he could get to a Neil Young show. I figured that was a good story, so I gave him the 50 cents I had in my pocket. He then asked me if I had anything else, like more change or roaches from my ashtray. And he asked it really forcefully. Several times. "Any roaches? Anything? Roaches? In your ashtray?" Apparently I reek of pot smoke or something.

It was obviously the baby. We all know they like to hit the weed. It's why they're always hungry.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:24 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

designedtobekind wrote:
I was on the elevator a few minutes ago, and out of the blue the guy riding with me said "You don't look like you climb poles, but I'm sure you'd have an audience if you did!"

Thanks, I guess?

Wow, that was ballsy considering he was stuck in a small inclosed space with you.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:06 am 
Lime and a Coconut

I was walking to BART wearing some crappy Target dress that's a million years old and the Neighborhood Wacky Guy* commented on it by saying "That's a nice dress! That's the kind of dress I would wear!" He was probably thinking to himself that he just BLEW MY MIND by exploding gender norms! Whereas I was just thinking "please, dude, stop insisting on what a wild and crazy guy you are."

*first introduced himself to me when he announced he was running for an office that didn't exist, wasn't on the ballot, and he didn't have a website. But he had postcards printed, of him in leiderhosen. That guy! So wacky!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:28 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I've always been kind of well endowed. and one time I was getting my haircut by a male hair styllist.
Whille he was cutting my hair he said "wow, you have a nice set of hair", I said "um, thanks?"

Sue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:01 am 
Tofu Pup

Woman on tram today, interrupting my conversation: "It's your dad's fault I bit his dick off".
Me: "What". She repeated it.
Me: "Well thanks, I'll make sure to tell him".
Her: "it is, you know".
Me: "That's good to know".
Her: "He told you to call me a hors d'oeuvre".
Me: "Well I'm not going to do that because it's not very nice".
Her: "You do".
Me: "I don't".

Back to conversation. Still haven't told my dad ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:14 am 
Semen Strong

Me at favorite restaurant (serves vegan and omni food): Can I have scrambled eggs and toast?
waitress: Aren't you vegan?
Me: Oh, I meant tofu scramble....

Doy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:17 am 
Semen Strong

rachell37 wrote:
amethyst wrote:
I once walked into a convenience store after getting gas and was asked in an accusatory tone by a store employee why I wasn't in school that day.

(I was 28 at the time.)

When I was home (from uni, as a mature student) a few years ago, I was walking to the store. There was a crossing guard at one of the lights, and she insisted on 'helping' me cross. As she walked me across the street (on a green man), she asked me what school I went to! I think I was about 27!

Is it pathetic that I love when this happens? I was talking to someone who was a lawyer who transitioned into not-for-profit, and she looked at me and said "Oh are you considering law school?" I graduated from law school 12 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:20 am 
Naked Under Apron

Mars wrote:
At work a customer asked me: "So, is this 'just a job', or do you..." and then he makes these sideways eyes and whispers, "like flowers or something?"

I think it was his way of asking if I was one of those gays.

This might be my new favourite euphemism for The Gay. "Oh did you know that Mat Likes Flowers?"

Mat.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:24 am 
Tofu Pup

This may not be the oddest thing said to me recently, but perhaps the funniest.

About a month ago I brought a coworker a rather large grocery bag full of fresh veggies from my garden to the office and the beet greens were sticking out of the top. (the bag was pretty full!) As I walked past another coworkers desk, she glanced over and said loudly, "Is that your lunch?" Apparently as vegans our lunches resemble farmer's market shopping sprees!?!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:34 am 
Chip Strong

Well, this didn't happen to me, but today my partner had a couple of guys yell, "Hi, I'm Neilo!" from their ute at him. The strangest part was that they passed him, did a u-turn, and came back and yelled it again.
I googled it, and it doesn't seem to be a youtube phenomenon or anything, so we can only assume it's an in-joke.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:37 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I was training someone at my old job -- she wasn't very bright to begin with -- and eating a take-out sandwich at the same time. We had this conversation:

Trainee: Is that an all-vegetable sandwich?
Me: Yes.
Trainee: Are you a vegetarian?
Me: Yes.
Trainee. Oh, wow. Oh, wow. Do you feel...different?

The phone rang, so we didn't get to finish the conversation, but I've always wondered...different from what?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:47 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

pranaferox wrote:
About a week and a half ago I was getting off the plane to Germany and leaving the baggage claim area with my suitcases. A guy (taxi driver) comes up to me.
Him: Do you need a taxi?
Me: Yes please!
Him: Here, I'll take your bags. Are you American?
Me: Yeah, I am.
Him: Oooh, so are you in the army?
Me: ???? No.....

I found this to be especially odd because looks-wise I pretty much look like a little girl and I was wearing a little flowery dress and had nothing army-like about me. (Maybe I'm just being stereotypical?)

I don't think that question was very odd. There's a lot of army posts in Germany. Especially if you were at the Frankfurt airport, which is where most will transit in and out of. And being in the Army, (or any other service) doesn't mean you can't wear flowery dresses or be feminine in your offtime. (within regulation)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:22 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

stephanie wrote:
pranaferox wrote:
About a week and a half ago I was getting off the plane to Germany and leaving the baggage claim area with my suitcases. A guy (taxi driver) comes up to me.
Him: Do you need a taxi?
Me: Yes please!
Him: Here, I'll take your bags. Are you American?
Me: Yeah, I am.
Him: Oooh, so are you in the army?
Me: ???? No.....

I found this to be especially odd because looks-wise I pretty much look like a little girl and I was wearing a little flowery dress and had nothing army-like about me. (Maybe I'm just being stereotypical?)
I'm guessing that happened because of this -- I was also asked if I was in the service when I went to Germany. I think Germany is the most beautiful place in the world.

Two recent oddities:
Random dude walks up to me at the hippie grocery store and says, no shiitake, "Are you really into water?"
What? Water? Like swimming?
"Yes, exactly."
No, I'm terrified of water. I haven't gone swimming since I was forced to in high school.
"That's a shame! You have such a water aura around you."
THAT'S WHAT I GET FOR SHOPPING AT THE CO-OP

Also, had a dude who said he was a chef at a super-locavore restaurant (one of those places that's proud about having a whole dead pig hanging out in the kitchen) insist that I wasn't vegan because I eat... bread.
He got visibly angry when I insisted that yeast are part of the Fungi kingdom, and thus not prohibited from our diets. He raised his voice and said, "Yeast is ALIVE!" Yeah, well, so are babies and grass and twigs, and I eat those things all the time.

Delicious delicious yeast.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:42 am 
Lime and a Coconut

The other day a little kid in my neighborhood asked my SO "are you somebody's dad?"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:40 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

designedtobekind wrote:
I was on the elevator a few minutes ago, and out of the blue the guy riding with me said "You don't look like you climb poles, but I'm sure you'd have an audience if you did!"

Thanks, I guess?

btw, there is something i've always wanted to ask you. jamaica?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:32 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I was just on the bus home from work and the woman in front of me turned round and screamed in my face "i'm going to bury you under Marks and Spencers!!" So that was... um... disturbing.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:08 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

stephen douglas called me a hatchet-faced nutmeg dealer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:20 pm 
Nailed to the V

interrobang?! wrote:
I was just on the bus home from work and the woman in front of me turned round and screamed in my face "i'm going to bury you under Marks and Spencers!!" So that was... um... disturbing.

You really don't kid around about those people on the bus!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:27 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Steffers! wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:

You really don't kid around about those people on the bus!

Seriously. You should have taken a ride on one when you were over here. One of the ones that went to Castlemilk or Easterhouse or somewhere like that. Oh wait. Then you would never have wanted to come back!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:02 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

A while ago I went on a date with a vegan guy, I was telling my friend at work about it. I said the word vegan several times, but this temporary admin woman chipped in with "A man veejin? I can understand a woman veejin but not a man veegin." Thanks for your input lady!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

interrobang?! wrote:

So glad I didn't take the bus when I met up with you the other day!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:53 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Today someone told me they liked my Halloween outfit - I'm not wearing a Halloween outfit!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next