| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just a vent ... blog plagarism
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:41 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I don't know what I am feeling right now. I spend a lot of time and energy on my blog, and just saw that another blogger not only cut and pasted one of my recipes word for word with no credit or link on their blog, but also submitted my photo to foodgawker as their own!

I emailed the blogger and foodgawker to get the situation rectified, but I am so ... mad/sad/in disbelief [no words] that someone would blatantly copy and take credit for something that I spend hours of time on?!?

Have any other bloggers had this happen? What did you do?

My tumblr

Post subject: Re: Just a vent ... blog plagarism
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:48 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I sympathize-it has been done to me. :(

Someone here entered a Dave's Killer Bread sandwto recognize iich competition with a photo and recipe taken from Chloe Coscarelli's blog. They didn't know of course, so they posted both. I happened t, so I contacted DKB, who took it right down. I couldn't believe someone would put her full name on it so blatantly. So rotten.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:51 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry that happened to you! Its so dishonest for someone to knowingly steal a recipe and then actually submit it to Foodgawker as their own! Sending good thoughts and hopefully other bloggers will have good advice for you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:55 pm 

celyn wrote:
I sympathize-it has been done to me. :(

Someone here entered a Dave's Killer Bread sandwto recognize iich competition with a photo and recipe taken from Chloe Coscarelli's blog. They didn't know of course, so they posted both. I happened t, so I contacted DKB, who took it right down. I couldn't believe someone would put her full name on it so blatantly. So rotten.

Unbelieveable! I could almost let the blog post part go, but not the fact that they submitted the photo to foodgawker as their own -- and to add insult to injury -- their stolen photo got more hits than my original one! There are certainly worse things to have happen, but this is just so ... stealy!

My tumblr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

(Sorry for the garbled post. My track pad is acting crazy and I didn't catch how much until it was too late to edit!)

In these circumstances I always just try to remember that it's a lot better to be a victim of a stealy person than the one who steals. They have to live with themselves. You just have to deal with the fact that they were rotten.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:33 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

That's really sucky! I hate that that shiitake happens in the vegan community.

I wonder if the people who steal really think that they are doing anything wrong or even care. They have to live with themselves, but if they are doing this kind of stuff, they probably don't feel bad about it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:42 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Agree-I don't think they care.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:46 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Yeah. It sucks. I agree with you that it sucks to be someone who doesn't think it's wrong to steal/cheat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:02 pm 

celyn wrote:
(Sorry for the garbled post. My track pad is acting crazy and I didn't catch how much until it was too late to edit!)

In these circumstances I always just try to remember that it's a lot better to be a victim of a stealy person than the one who steals. They have to live with themselves. You just have to deal with the fact that they were rotten.

This puts it into perspective, thanks!

thanks for listening ... : )

My tumblr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:04 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:

I wonder if the people who steal really think that they are doing anything wrong or even care. They have to live with themselves, but if they are doing this kind of stuff, they probably don't feel bad about it.

I just googled this stealer's other posts and, yep, they've scraped content/photos from other blogs as well. This person obviously has no conscience.

My tumblr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:09 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

This doesn't help at all, but your photos on your blog really are beautiful. Sorry people are taking advantage.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:40 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Erin, is it a legitimate blog, or is it one of those sites that steal content 24/7 to get traffic for advertisements? I dunno if it makes you feel better, but I don't think those sites get a lot of traffic or fanfare, though they SUCK.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:05 pm 

kittee wrote:
Erin, is it a legitimate blog, or is it one of those sites that steal content 24/7 to get traffic for advertisements? I dunno if it makes you feel better, but I don't think those sites get a lot of traffic or fanfare, though they SUCK.

xo
kittee

Kittee,

I don't see any ads on the site, and they only have about 5 posts up so far, so I am sure they arent getting too many hits. Except from ME, tonight! :P

Good news is that I emailed foodgawker about the issue and they responded right away by reassigning the link to me and putting the duplicate photo back under my gallery. So I feel much better now about this!!

My tumblr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:30 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Yeah. It forking sucks. This has happened to me a few times. It's even worse when someone pulls that shiitake in publishing!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:39 am 
Naked Under Apron

erinwyso wrote:

Good news is that I emailed foodgawker about the issue and they responded right away by reassigning the link to me and putting the duplicate photo back under my gallery. So I feel much better now about this!!

good!
you could always sick the ppk on them. that's never fun.
xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:34 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

I am so sorry, erinwyso. That really sucks.

ijustdiedinside wrote:

That's what I think, too. A recipe from my blog got stolen several times and is now all over the internet on sites that don't credit me. I emailed one of them and they said they had never seen my recipe and who were I to think that nobody would come up with the same thing. And then they were like: "Hey your stuff is cool, let's work together in future." After that I gave up and now really try not to care. I am so glad that foodgawker removed that picture. I had something similar happpen on Facebook and I never managed to get the picture removed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:05 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

That is awful. I don't see what the point of copying other people's work and not crediting them for it.

And Isa...... that is awful!!! Whatever about copying from a blog but robbing something that is published!! Geez! What kind of people are in this world?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:30 am 

Thanks so much for all of your support, PPK! I googled the blog name again this morning, and it looks like it has been totally removed from the interwebs. Not sure what happened, but ... yay!

Thanks for all of the responses and support here ... reason #1,345,089 that I love the ppk!

My tumblr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:24 am 

That is great news. Awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:25 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Brilliant!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:28 am 
Semen Strong

I'm sorry that happened to you as well Mihl. Your sites is one of my favorites, and I think you're so rad and awesome for veganizing so many great German and Austrian favorites. I'm sorry that a few horrible thieving jerks take advantage of your generosity, and I am glad they don't make you stop doing what you do.

celyn is so wise, that it must suck to be someone so devoid of imagination and conscience that their only way to put up content is to steal it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:18 am 

Aw, thanks Tofulish!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:43 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

My cookbook post got immediately picked up by a bunch of bots and reposted. The thing is that they link to your original post, so I kept getting emails about pingbacks and it made me NUTS. They're wordpress blogs, but not hosted by wordpress so you can't report them there. And then I tried reporting one via the GoDaddy help form, and it told me the website URL wasn't valid. I deleted my pictures from flickr (which now have my site URL on them because of Pinterest and tumblr) and re-uploaded them so at least they were just displaying that 'this photo doesn't exist' image. I also had Brian add a copyright statement to the bottom of my site.

Honestly, if I wasn't forced to know about it, I wouldn't care. I don't google my few recipes because I know what i'll find. Pingback spam makes me stabby as hell. And it's not because I think I am so awesome, and I don't have any kind of monetizing things on my site. My crappy writing and sub-par photos are MINE. Also, even if you can't tell, I do often put a lot of time and effort into posts like that. I spend a lot of time falling down the google rabbit hole, which isn't necessary, but still. If I spent four hours of my day reading about cookbooks, I don't want to walk away from my computer for an hour, come back, and find that everything has been copied and pasted to half a dozen spam blogs.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

that just sucks. people can be scum.
im glad it seems to have resolved itself but it still sucks.

i know i used to post a lot of pictures of concert photos i took on different messageboards to share with other fans and then i started finding my pictures in various places i had not given permission for and no credit to me.

the internet kinda stinks in that regard.

i did look at your blog however and i agree with everyone else your photos are beautiful!! i know that doesnt help but your blog is very nice :-) the pictures are very dramatic and make me want to eat the contents!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:12 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

That's terrible erinwyso, you blog is great. It is apparent that you and you husband (your photographer right?) spend a lot of time and effort the make a great blog. I'm Sorry for everyone that this happens to.

I crochet, and use blogs for a lot of free patterns and ideas, and this kind of stuff is rampant in that community as well.

This reminds of when (not too long ago) someone took a bunch of blog recipes, put them in an ebook, and tried to sell them on Amazon. I remember Susan from fatfreevegan had a few that were in there. I was one of the people that complained to Amazon, and I think it got taken down eventually.

ugh. Stealing is WRONG.