| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cross country movers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:50 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Hi! We're moving to Seattle! It's very exciting and I want to talk more about it, but it's happening in 3 weeks, so we're freaking out a bit and trying to find a moving company. Everyone I talk to is such a sleazy sales person, it's hard to tell. everyone has horrible yelp reviews, but other moving review sites seem to be more reliable. I'd love to get any recommendations from actual people. We're moving from NYC.

Post subject: Re: Cross country movers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:50 pm 

Oh, and I looked into Pods, but it's about twice as much as any quote I've gotten from an actual moving company.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:14 pm 
Naked Under Apron

this question gets asked a lot on this Brooklyn parenting forum I'm a member of and I noticed a lot of positive reviews for Mayflower, if that helps any. Exciting! Good luck to you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:22 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

We moved with U-Pack relocubes (like pods, but way less expensive) and had a pretty good experience:

http://www.upack.com/moving-services/mo ... r-size.asp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:24 pm 
WRETCHED

good luck! I moved with North American and they weren't bad. I think one thing I found when looking for movers (this was 10 years ago though) was that reviews seemed bad across the board and almost seemed like a crepe shoot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:40 pm 
WELFARIST!

I've moved with United, I found that their price was lower than Atlas. Those were the only two I checked though. I was moving from Canada to the US so I had fewer options.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:52 pm 

thanks! I will look into these. right now we're getting quotes in the rage of $2800 to $4000. the more expensive ones are the ones that sound less sketchy. this is so stressful.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:35 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

It is. It sucks a lot. And you will find tons of reviews and people freaking out about various stuff and that makes it worse. :/

I think we paid $3500 for cross-country shipping of 2 PACKED cubes of stuff with U-Pack, but that was like 9 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:00 pm 

thanks! that's really helpful. it's so hard to tell if we're getting ripped off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:12 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:13 pm 

solipsistnation wrote:
It is. It sucks a lot. And you will find tons of reviews and people freaking out about various stuff and that makes it worse. :/

Truth, people who are angry are much more likely to leave a review, whether or not the company is actually at fault. That's why for a lot of small businesses it's hard to find any review, and if you do find one or two they're probably negative.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:34 pm 
Semen Strong

Congratulations on your move! How exciting! And HURRAH for being closer to your family again.

Hope you find awesome movers and that your transition is seamless and easy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:04 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

It's almost impossible to pick one because, as you said, the salespeople are pushy and the reviews are rotten, across the board. People are so stressed out by long distance moves that I think there's a tendency with some to blow up online as soon as they unpack that first broken coffee cup. The rest of us are just so relieved that it's over (and have so much unpacking to do) that taking time to write a positive review isn't on our radar.

Depending on what you're moving, $2800 sounds really, really low for a cross-country move. Ours was 10k-ish, but that included packing and 2 cars. I wouldn't recommend having the moving company pack for you. The salespeople push that service hard and it sounds like it will save so much time and energy, but in reality you have to go through everything anyway. If you don't, you end up unpacking boxes full of tissue paper with loose pens, rubber bands, and change thrown in.

Good luck on your move!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:41 pm 

thanks! we have a really small apartment, no pets, no kids, no cars, no appliances, so that's prob why it's cheap ish. it's really helpful to know that other people have the same experiences. the bad reviews are so crazy! I may go with the more expensive place since he was the least pushy, but I'm fairly sure I could talk him down by a few hundred.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:58 pm 
Saggy Butt

I would not go with the cheapest option. We did, and the only way to describe our experience is that they were criminals who use slave labor. They gave us this crazy window of a MONTH to expect our delivery but assured us that it never actually takes that long and we could expect it within a week window. Well, they showed up at midnight on the last day of the one month window. Literally. We felt so badly for the 17 year old kids who were unloading our stuff and were wearing shoes made out of duct tape that we couldn't yell at them. The whole thing was just surreal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:35 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

"Good luck on your move" I think that was a combination of congratulations on it and good luck with it. I meant both, of course!

So if it's no kids, no cars, no packing, $4000 is probably about right. Hopefully they'll take some off if you tell them that you've had lower quotes. I feel for you. It's so hard to know which one to pick when the deadline is looming, salespeople are trying to talk circles around you, and you're reading horror stories online.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:38 pm 

mooo wrote:
I would not go with the cheapest option. We did, and the only way to describe our experience is that they were criminals who use slave labor. They gave us this crazy window of a MONTH to expect our delivery but assured us that it never actually takes that long and we could expect it within a week window. Well, they showed up at midnight on the last day of the one month window. Literally. We felt so badly for the 17 year old kids who were unloading our stuff and were wearing shoes made out of duct tape that we couldn't yell at them. The whole thing was just surreal.

When Brian got out of the army, free relocation and six months storage was part of it so we didn't pick the company, but they sent two dudes to pack and load all of our stuff. We technically weren't supposed to pack anything because the guys were supposed to mark the boxes themselves and initial them so they were accountable if anything went missing. They packed the first day and the second day loaded the truck, and we had to ask them to call their company and ask for more help because we had to have everything out by a certain time because the carpet cleaners were coming.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:45 am 
WRETCHED

When I moved, I lived in a 2 bedroom townhouse with a basement... by myself. I had a lot of stuff BUT I gave away a lot of stuff before I moved. I didn't take my bed (just frame and mattress), living room couch, office desk or any appliances (washer/dryer, fridge stayed). I packed myself and it cost $1100 total. My car (which isn't huge mind you) contained most of the stuff I thought I'd need before the movers came so clothes, I think a lamp? and things I just wanted to take myself. My husband flew out to drive me back so he had a small suitcase but my car was pretty full in backseat (which is tiny - no humans really fit there) and trunk.

I don't think you have a car? but if you do and plan to drive it, there are things that can make the drive better :)

And basically what I learned is the moving company contracts with local people to actually carry stuff so the driver of the truck is not the person packing up your stuff or moving out in/out. At least that is how ours worked. The local guys were great and we gave them a tip on both sides. On the far side, we moved into a 4th story apartment so they got a pretty generous tip. I know it is wasteful but also having some water bottles for them is a good thing or even juice. You could even have snacks, they'd appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:09 pm 

I hired a mover! ended up going with the most expensive least sketchy company. I tried haggling but totally failed. he was like of course I can lower the rate, just don't take any bookcases! which is what we ended up doing because they are all cheap ikea stuff that is more expensive to move than to buy. super wasteful, I know, but this whole thing is crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:25 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

WHOA WHOA WHOA! YAY, YAY, YAY!

(that is all...for now! Good luck!!! Please keep us posted and let Jules and I know the moment you're settled in enough to go get brunch at Wayward or something <3)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:34 pm 

jdfunks wrote:
WHOA WHOA WHOA! YAY, YAY, YAY!

(that is all...for now! Good luck!!! Please keep us posted and let Jules and I know the moment you're settled in enough to go get brunch at Wayward or something <3)

uh huh! for sure! we still have to keep my husband's job under wraps for now, so I will definitely be talking about it more soon!! I want to get brunch asap! We probably won't get our stuff till a few weeks after we get there, so I won't be able to cook anything anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:11 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Huzzah!

Panda With Cookie