| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: For people with parents who don't take care of themselve
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:39 pm 
Dead by dawn

((hugs)) to you appifanie. I think what you told Livi is perfect for a kid her age. I wish I had some good advice for you.

I can relate to a lot of stories in this thread. When I was in my 20s, I used to tell people that my dad was committing suicide on the installment plan. He smoked heavily and drank alcoholically for 45 years, along with neglecting his hypertension and letting his gum disease progress until most of his teeth fell out, before he finally managed to do enough damage to have a major heart attack. At first he refused bypass surgery, but my brother convinced him to do it. Then he was rejected as a candidate for surgery because he was so severely malnourished (from the alcoholism.) The hospital sent him home to stop drinking, eat better and come back for surgery when he was fit enough to live through it. Yeah, right. He died a month or so later. There was never anything we said or did that had any effect on him. For him, his drinking problem was a freaking comedy routine. This thread makes me remember how profoundly thankful I am for my mother and the myriad ways she's not him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:58 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Thanks everyone! Hard to formulate real responses to anything right now, but thank you!!

Lots of you have similar experiences - I'm sorry :(

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:01 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I don't have any advice or personal experience to add. I just wanted to say I'm so sorry you are having to go through all of this, and I think what you told livi was perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:17 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

appifanie wrote:
Thanks everyone! Hard to formulate real responses to anything right now, but thank you!!

Lots of you have similar experiences - I'm sorry :(

Overwhelming support can be overwhelming! If you ever want to talk, I'm here.

Al-Anon is a great way to find people in your area who will know exactly what you're going through also (to second Tofulish's excellent suggestion).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:55 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Yes. I cannot recommend highly enough Al-Anon and, specifically, Adult Children of Alcoholics support groups. I too am in this boat. I'm sick of the boat, but I'm in it. Big hugs of solidarity to everyone in this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:10 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Appifanie -- I'm so sorry, this sounds like such a terrible situation to be in. You have my warmest thoughts and supportive vibes being sent!

I just want to say that you shouldn't feel bad about crying in front of your daughter. My family was always very emotionally repressed, and now that I'm in my late twenties, I have a hard time expressing any emotion, good or bad (my boyfriend says he loves me multiple times daily, I say it maybe once a week because he reminds me to). Negative feelings, in particular, were always discouraged. Your daughter will, in the long run, benefit from seeing her mother cry--she will know that it's okay to cry, it's okay to have feelings, and that sometimes life is hard. I honestly think that this will help her, in a way. And if she's the kind of kid who likes to cuddle, definitely cuddle with her a bit and let her cheer you up and wipe your tears with a tissue or something. I think it'll make both of you feel better!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:22 am 
ol' garly cooch

megs wrote:
Yes. I cannot recommend highly enough Al-Anon and, specifically, Adult Children of Alcoholics support groups. I too am in this boat. I'm sick of the boat, but I'm in it. Big hugs of solidarity to everyone in this thread.

+1 Anyone may PM me if they ever need to talk about it. My success has come from keeping really strict boundaries with my own parents, and accepting that I will not have the kind of relationship with them that others have with their folks. I've had to make other people my chosen family and take comfort in knowing I broke the chain with my kids.

Hugs to everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:32 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Setting boundaries with my dad was essential to my emotional survival. I can't say enough about their importance and having people in your life who respect and support your boundaries, whether they are other family members, friends, or people you meet in support groups.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:45 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Both of my parents died of cancer and i could do nothing but watch. both smoked heavily and drank. I found that you can not make changes for anyone else but yourself and the rest you need to let go of. I find myself drinking too much far too often and reading this thread and everyones experiences with their parents reminds me of my childhood and how I do not want repeat what I saw growing up but yet I repeat so many of the same bad habits (not just healthwise but also emotional responses). So I guess what I'm saying is sometimes it's very hard to change even if you really really want to. You are a fabulous parent to Livi and everytime I see pictures of her I can see how much she is loved and cared for and when I see pictures of you, it is clear that you care about you very much too. That is all that you can do in the end.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:49 am 
Dead by dawn

DarthCupcake wrote:
Appifanie -- I'm so sorry, this sounds like such a terrible situation to be in. You have my warmest thoughts and supportive vibes being sent!

I just want to say that you shouldn't feel bad about crying in front of your daughter. My family was always very emotionally repressed, and now that I'm in my late twenties, I have a hard time expressing any emotion, good or bad (my boyfriend says he loves me multiple times daily, I say it maybe once a week because he reminds me to). Negative feelings, in particular, were always discouraged. Your daughter will, in the long run, benefit from seeing her mother cry--she will know that it's okay to cry, it's okay to have feelings, and that sometimes life is hard. I honestly think that this will help her, in a way. And if she's the kind of kid who likes to cuddle, definitely cuddle with her a bit and let her cheer you up and wipe your tears with a tissue or something. I think it'll make both of you feel better!

I agree.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I can't believe I read through almost this whole thread without thinking to recommend Al-Anon - I second that, strongly. I've been attending Nar-Anon meetings for nearly five years because I have a (recovering) addict in my life, but I found them very very useful while dealing with my alcoholic father, too.

My dad died last fall of cancer. Prior to his diagnosis, I hadn't had any contact with him for 2 years because his end-stage alcoholism was too painful for me to witness. He ended up sober for the last two months of his life, because he was in a nursing home where he physically could not drink, and I think he was grateful for that time. I know I was.

I would just recommend that you think long and hard about how much you want to involve yourself in your mom's problems. You don't have to do anything you don't want to. My sister and I talked about it for a long while before agreeing to be my dad's Power of Attorney, and in the end it turned out to be the right decision for us. That doesn't mean it will be the right decision for you.

Hugs to you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:08 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Oh yeah, this: boundaries. Boundaries boundaries. Nothing has been more important in my process lately than really investigating them. My counselor gave me a great book about it which is scripture/Bible based, but I am not that way inclines so I kind of just skim those parts because the overall lessons of it are life-changing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:51 pm 
Chard Martyr

megs wrote:
Oh yeah, this: boundaries. Boundaries boundaries. Nothing has been more important in my process lately than really investigating them.
Seconded. But they're hard, and they might not be respected. But they're essential.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

They are hard. I used to be super good at setting boundaries but terrible at sticking to them. Don't be hard on yourself about it, though; you will get there in your own time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

appifanie wrote:

Livi is 4 1/2 and I told her that grammy's sick because she doesn't take care of herself.

Yes! That's an excellent answer. It's important to be honest with her, but she doesn't need all the facts. So sorry you all have to go through this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:44 pm 

So the guy from the rehabilitation place just called and asked me fun questions like "is she always this incoherent" and "is she a DNR?" I told him that when I spoke to her on 5/22 she seemed totally normal and that she is a DNR. Sigh.

Does anyone actually WANT to be resuscitated?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:50 pm 
Chard Martyr

Many hugs to you (and Livi).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:09 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

When it comes to aging alcoholic parents, sometimes it doesn't matter if you take care of yourself or not. My sister in law's mother is only about 54 but she looks like she's 75, and moves like she's 89. The worst part is that she eats healthily, not too much, and if she were able she'd get some exercise too.

She's in the hospital multiple times a year, we're not sure how much longer she's going to last. We're not sure how long a body *can* last when everything is failing in it.

I wish my sister in law would go to Al anon families, but when my mom suggested it once, she got really angry and said something along the lines of 'I'm not the one with a drinking problem'.

*Hugs to all of you and your families*

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:14 pm 

I talked to her for 13 minutes and she mostly sounded fine! Apparently they checked her O2 levels and they were at 85 which is way too low, even I know that, so they gave her oxygen and she looks better and sounds so much better.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:52 pm 

Okay sounding okay today too - better than 2 days ago even - but her neighbor (who is a 70-something man who is kind and helpful and awesome) - said she looks really bad and doesn't see that she'll ever be able to live on her own again, which is pretty much what her doctor said to me

And now I search for the phone # of her homemakers, who were clearly slacking.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Glad she seems to be maintaining. People were supposed to be at the house helping her and weren't? That's so frustrating. The whole situation is very frustrating. I hope arrangements can be made for her care that are comfortable for everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:52 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Oh, appifanie. I send you so many hugs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:28 am 

Hey guys. It turns out it's advanced stage bladder cancer and they have her going to Lahey clinic which is 90 minutes or so each way and they just sent her for a CAT scan and they want a follow up in 2 weeks. Of course the chemo consult she just went for - he told her he thought she was too weak to survive treatment but apparently didn't say where to go from there.

I'm doing a lot of denial. I think about it when I talk to her and then I block it out. Lalala.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:28 am 
Inflexitarian

:hugs:

(and I think what you said made perfect sense to your daughter, it's simple but the truth, which is probably reassuring to her)

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:35 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm sorry Appi *hugs*

I don't have anything else productive to say.