| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: NaNoWriMo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:49 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'm getting excited! flavabean...you can do it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:14 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

flavabean wrote:
You guys, I've done nano for the past 7 years, and last year is the first year I didn't make it. I was writing a ultra-personal story and it got way too tramatic for me. I want to write again this November, but I'm so nervous! I'm choosing a totally different plot, but I'm just worried that I'm not going to be able to do it. I've got nano nerves!

I chose a personal story too my first year, and I only got 5 pages in to it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:25 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I want to do it this year. It'll be my first time! I am terrified!

I've just started writing again, after I finished college I went on creative writing hiatus for a few years. I want to write a YA novel, I think. I have several ideas knocking around, but I feel like some of them should be comics and I can't tell which ones would be better as comics or as words-only. Plus...I haven't written long-form creative fiction in years. Years.

I'm going to go sign up now!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:22 pm 
Chip Strong

I signed up a couple of years ago, apparently - I had to recover my password today when I tried to sign up again, but I want to actually do it this year. My brother works for the non-profit that runs it.
I've only thought of one character so far, and he's basically a superpowered Rob Halford, but I think I can build a story around that, maybe.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:47 am 
WELFARIST!

I have a few things thought out. I have the basic story in my mind, have an idea how it will end (though that may change, actually, all of it may change as I go on) but right now, I have a structure/basic outline for how I want to do it (currently, I have an idea of five distinct sections which will be broken into chapters), two characters named and conceptualized in very broad strokes and a few other details pinned down. Actually, I've decided to stop thinking about it for now until November 1 because ideas for it kept me up a few nights really late and also, it's kind of a waste of time thinking beyond what I already have at this point because I know that as I actually work through it so much may change so while I have some broad details in place, I'm married to none of it but the basic story, I'm just going to start writing it and see how it works now. It's going to be science fictionish.

I'll sign up for the NaNo website closer to the date. I'm just overwhelmed with other personal stuff right now so actually, trying something like this is going to be a nice distraction for me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:05 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I began plotting my NaNo the other day. I am super excited about it! It's going to be really geeky and really stupid. I am thrilled.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:31 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

It's going to be really weird being a nano-rebel this year, but, I hope, totally worth it. Finally get this challenge worked on, maybe even finished! (100 Word prompts around love in a fandom, I'm doing firefly and have already written 10, so I have 90 prompts, which works out to three a day or so? But I 'won' the last two years in 3 weeks... so it works out to more than 3 a day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:28 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Is it cheating if I use NaNoWriMo as an excuse to start-or-finish some manuscripts for academic stuff? I mean, shiitake's got to be written (and published), right?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:59 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I personally don't see it as cheating lutin. Others might see it differently. But honestly who cares how they see it. If it gets you motivated to get the work you need to do finished, then it has served you well, and that's the important thing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:04 pm 
Chard Martyr

lutin wrote:
Is it cheating if I use NaNoWriMo as an excuse to start-or-finish some manuscripts for academic stuff? I mean, shiitake's got to be written (and published), right?

NO! Because this is what I'm doing. Any motivation is needed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:40 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

OMG i am doomed. i have mentioned to several people including on FB that i am doing NWM. Now i have to frigging do it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:50 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

dooom! doooooooooooooooooom! d000m!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:09 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

vijita wrote:
lutin wrote:

NO! Because this is what I'm doing. Any motivation is needed.

This is what I need to do as well! It would be fun to do it for fiction, but this article has got to move off my desk!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:52 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I signed up as tanistanis if anyone wants to be writing buddies!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:48 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I just signed up! It's my first year, so I'm a bit nervous... Plus I've got a wicked busy schedule right now, so not quite sure why I signed up. However, all that aside, I'm really excited!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:20 pm 
Chard Martyr

This is kind of bad right now because November being next week has given me a free pass not to write this week. I need some forking discipline!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:37 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Still no adding writing buddies. Meh.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:38 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand right on time, i may or may not have a HUGE translation project set to begin at the beginning of November. Will know for sure this afternoon. I sort of knew it was coming.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:48 am 
WELFARIST!

vijita wrote:
This is kind of bad right now because November being next week has given me a free pass not to write this week. I need some forking discipline!

There's still five days to enter the Canada Writes contest. http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadawrites/li ... hortstory/

Short stories between 1200-1500 words. I've written one and it's almost five pages (1340 words). I've been whiling away the hours on this all week. I'm about to go bug-eyed from re-re-re-re-reading and re-re-re-re-rewriting but I should be putting it in the mail tomorrow morning.

I like to think NaNo will be a welcome break, but it won't....it will be a change from all the re-re-re though. Just straight up full throttle writing full speed ahead for a month.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:58 am 
Chard Martyr

seitanicverses wrote:
vijita wrote:

There's still five days to enter the Canada Writes contest. http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadawrites/li ... hortstory/

Short stories between 1200-1500 words. I've written one and it's almost five pages (1340 words). I've been whiling away the hours on this all week. I'm about to go bug-eyed from re-re-re-re-reading and re-re-re-re-rewriting but I should be putting it in the mail tomorrow morning.

I like to think NaNo will be a welcome break, but it won't....it will be a change from all the re-re-re though. Just straight up full throttle writing full speed ahead for a month.

Oh my gosh, I am totally up for this challenge! Not sure if I'll come up with anything worth submitting, but it will be nice to stop thinking about my novel for a few days.

Thank you! This was sent out a while ago on my crea-wri listserv but I usually delete these all immediately because they remind me of what a slacker I am about sending stuff out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:18 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

lillianp wrote:
torque wrote:
i want to do it. not sure if it will happen, but want to try. So I am in.
i'm smithmiyake

i am going to go and look you guys up to create that cheering section. any names to add?

(also, then i am really committed and have to write the damn book.)

ps- lilianp- hey quaker!

<3 Quakers are the best. Well, just behind vegans on The PPK, of course. :) Are you now? Did you grow up Quaker? Lots of questions!

I go by lillianp on the nano site as well. Should be easy to find me.

DarthFormal I look forward to this.

Quakers in the (meeting)house!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:20 pm 

lillianp wrote:
It's going to be really weird being a nano-rebel this year, but, I hope, totally worth it. Finally get this challenge worked on, maybe even finished! (100 Word prompts around love in a fandom, I'm doing firefly and have already written 10, so I have 90 prompts, which works out to three a day or so? But I 'won' the last two years in 3 weeks... so it works out to more than 3 a day.

I want to read your Firefly prompts!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:21 pm 

I don't knowwwwww you guys. I flaked out after maybe two days last year. I just didn't have a novel to write! I really want to have a novel to write so I can do it!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

choirqueer wrote:
lillianp wrote:
torque wrote:
i want to do it. not sure if it will happen, but want to try. So I am in.
i'm smithmiyake

i am going to go and look you guys up to create that cheering section. any names to add?

(also, then i am really committed and have to write the damn book.)

ps- lilianp- hey quaker!

<3 Quakers are the best. Well, just behind vegans on The PPK, of course. :) Are you now? Did you grow up Quaker? Lots of questions!

I go by lillianp on the nano site as well. Should be easy to find me.

DarthFormal I look forward to this.

Quakers in the (meeting)house!! :D

Not sure how many people actively use the forums... But we're about right at the percentages from what I can tell! :)

Also, CQ, do you want to read the word prompts themselves? Or what comes of them? Because you can find the prompts plus the first 10 stories at my LJ, which I can pm you. I'll post them sometimes to my LJ in november as well, I imagine...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:28 pm 

lillianp wrote:

Not sure how many people actively use the forums... But we're about right at the percentages from what I can tell! :)

Also, CQ, do you want to read the word prompts themselves? Or what comes of them? Because you can find the prompts plus the first 10 stories at my LJ, which I can pm you. I'll post them sometimes to my LJ in november as well, I imagine...

Yes...and also yes! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next