| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: NaNoWriMo
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:04 pm 
WELFARIST!

Phoenix wrote:
If I don't come up with anything to further the plot, I'll include my list of nervous gestures (that I made for the protagonist). Or I might just make a huuuuge pot of coffee and stay up until the creativity juices decide to flow.

This list sounds like a wonderful idea. It made me think of Fitzgerald's list of Gatsby's party guests in The Great Gatsby and how it's one of the most celebrated passages of his writing. I bet Fitz thought to himself while looking at a blank page the day he wrote it: "meh, I'm out of ideas, I'll just kill some time with this list until I think of how to move the plot along again..." There are so many happy accidents in writing, I find.

I wrote another 1090 words before starting work myself this morning, but 269 of those words were me reworking the first page of the first section that I wrote last night, so Imma try to write another 1000 words before bed tonight. I'm going for a minimum of 1667 per day but on good days where I have more time and energy, I'm trying to write eight full pages a day (which I did the first day and it worked out to 3500 words and it was like 8 and a half pages).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hah, I made it. I just wrote a long rambling bit about insomnia. It doesn't matter if it doesn't make any sense when it's about insomnia, right? But wow, my similes really suck today.
Thank you, writing soundtrack! I'd never have made it without you.
And tomorrow will be better.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:08 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

It is getting harder and harder to write. The story came out so easily the first day. Harder yesterday. And way harder today. I hope I can keep writing this thing.

5,952 words

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bastah wrote:
It is getting harder and harder to write. The story came out so easily the first day. Harder yesterday. And way harder today. I hope I can keep writing this thing.

Oh, but dream stuff! You can basically write really bizarre things and then suddenly have them transform to whatever the scene actually is about. And you can have your heroine and the "dream guy" meet in all sorts of possible and impossible places (with lots of details). That should yield a couple of words...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:35 pm 

Phoenix wrote:
bastah wrote:

Oh, but dream stuff! You can basically write really bizarre things and then suddenly have them transform to whatever the scene actually is about. And you can have your heroine and the "dream guy" meet in all sorts of possible and impossible places (with lots of details). That should yield a couple of words...

Yeah, the dream stuff is the easiest part to write and my absolute FAVORITE! Someone else suggested that since the dream stuff comes easy to me, I should just write dream scenes and work on everything else later. I might do that. I've only written two dream scenes so far. One reminds me of the dream scene in Heathers where they go to the funeral. It was kind of inspired by that. The other dream scene is her in a desert looking for rattlesnakes, because a witchdoctor told her that he can bring back the dead with them, so she's going to bring back her sister. Then suddenly the dream shifts to her bedroom and dream guy is in her bed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:09 pm 

Phoenix wrote:
bastah wrote:

Oh and BTW, I reaaaally like the excerpts from your story. I love your style of writing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:32 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bastah wrote:
Oh and BTW, I reaaaally like the excerpts from your story. I love your style of writing.

Thank you, bastah! It was really hard to find my narrator's "voice". It's not my usual tone (and I'm also not used to writing from a male perspective), so I must be careful not to slip up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:57 am 

Phoenix wrote:
bastah wrote:

Thank you, bastah! It was really hard to find my narrator's "voice". It's not my usual tone (and I'm also not used to writing from a male perspective), so I must be careful not to slip up.

I was wondering about that. I've written a couple things from a male perspective too and it definitely had me more paranoid about my writing. Around that time, I noticed that in most books I had read, authors tended to stick with protagonists who are their same gender.

Last night (early this morning), I hit 7,324 words. The words just flowed. I had put both my own experiences down as those of the characters and I had done a dream that had been in my head for a while. I think I just need to put more of myself into the story and then maybe I'll have an easier time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:45 am 
WELFARIST!

About to write chapter two!

If I start hitting walls in my story, I might skip the chronological approach I've been taking and just get down all the stuff I know I want in and worry about any blanks or gaps that can be thought through later. I need more characters right now though to start switching it up. I'm trying to conceptualize a male character now...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bastah wrote:
Last night (early this morning), I hit 7,324 words. The words just flowed. I had put both my own experiences down as those of the characters and I had done a dream that had been in my head for a while. I think I just need to put more of myself into the story and then maybe I'll have an easier time.

Wow! Well done!
I know the feeling. One of the best things I have written in a long time is actually based on a dream I had.

I know it's possible to write from the perspective of a character who is not the same gender as you - my literary superhero does it a lot - but yes to the paranoia. On the other hand, getting a bit paranoid might totally help with the plot, haha. I'm also looking forward to introducing my main female side character, because it was such fun inventing her. Let's see how she will come over when I describe her through my protagonist's eyes... ^^

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:35 am 

Another successful night of writing. 9,032 words so far this month. My brain shuts off at night, so I find it interesting that it's the only time I can write. There's nothing else I've ever been able to do at night. Weird.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:10 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i went out drinking last night, came home, and wrote. Drunk. I am afraid to read what I wrote. Extra points for determination??

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:23 am 
WELFARIST!

I think drunk writing is all right! There are some days when I'm just going to be clocking my words in without a thought and I'll deal with those sections later. Actually, a couple of those days have already occurred. I figure of whatever I produce this month, approx 50% of it will ultimately be slashed so whatevs goes and just go-go-go.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:05 am 

Now I've got Alexandria's song stuck in my head.

I'm going to agree that drunk writing is probably a good idea. Only because late at night writing works so well for me and that's when my brain is half dead. IN FACT, I did drink before writing last night. But the glass of wine might have gone through my system at that point.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:31 am 
Seagull of the PPK

what i wrote wasn't actually that bad. it will need to be inserted somewhere else in the text, but it was OK. the problem now is that i have my writing time now while the kid has her video game cranked.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:06 am 

I really love what I wrote earlier today, but I think that the second half of what I wrote sucks. The Dream Guy might not be interesting enough. Right now he's a really good listener and tells her everything she wants to hear and he keeps trying to touch her and kiss her. I can't do too much with him yet since it's only her fourth dream, but this was the first dream where she was lucid.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:19 am 
WELFARIST!

I created my male character (well, I have a couple, but I have a main male and female where much of the narrative switches back and forth between) and I like my male better than my female presently. He's got more oomph and personality. I have to punch up my female now so it's not snooze time when she's up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Have you all seen the link to GoodSearch - and that you can donate money to the Office of Letters and Light by using this search engine during NaNoWriMo?

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/donatingwhenbroke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:01 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Thanks for the heads up on goodsearch!

I just typed up everything I've written long hand over the past week and it was more than I thought it'd be. 8,000 words, woo!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Once again, I'm so tired when I get home from work that I only manage to write a couple hundred words. This must change. I even have an ending for my story, and I want to get there!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:18 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hah. I just found a nice method to boost my word count. Now I just hope I can fill in all the gaps in the plot.
(Well, not all of them - some are necessary in order to create paranoia... ^^)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:39 am 

My friend has been having a lot of trouble. She's a professional writer and this is the first time she has had this much trouble writing. I was just doing this for fun and my word count kept getting higher and higher. I *think* that I upset her and she's ignoring me. Ugh. And now I'm having major trouble with my story and I want her help.

I hate the scene I wrote last night. I was trying to show how miserable, bored, awkward, and uncomfortable the main character was, and I succeeded in making myself and the reader feel the same way. I don't think a reader should feel bored, but the situation was just so freaking boring (being out with people who you don't know and not having anything to say--just sitting there silent for an hour with no one talking to you).

Also, I need time to go by. So far only about two weeks has and I need months to go by. I completely skipped one week and so far I've been doing a day-by-day. Since I've been doing that, I don't know how I can do a time lapse now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:56 am 
WELFARIST!

bastah wrote:
I hate the scene I wrote last night. I was trying to show how miserable, bored, awkward, and uncomfortable the main character was, and I succeeded in making myself and the reader feel the same way. I don't think a reader should feel bored, but the situation was just so freaking boring (being out with people who you don't know and not having anything to say--just sitting there silent for an hour with no one talking to you).

You could probably have fun with this. When in doubt, I say make it funny. Make your character comedically bored so it doesn't bore the audience. Enumerate the depths of their boredom, take excruciating note of their surroundings, make their observations of the other characters in the midst of their boredom amusing.

I was working on a short story in August and I wanted to express my character's aggravation over this lady in front of her at the check out in a store holding her up. Of course, that's a boring proposition, so to get around it, I detailed every single thing this annoying woman did, made a ridiculous sort of inventory of her every action so the reader would feel my character's aggravation but at the same time be entertained by it. And to make my character wait out an aggravating person also served a purpose to the plot in the story.

bastah wrote:
Also, I need time to go by. So far only about two weeks has and I need months to go by. I completely skipped one week and so far I've been doing a day-by-day. Since I've been doing that, I don't know how I can do a time lapse now

My story is switching back and forth in time thirty years, to a decade in the past, to the present. Just state the time you're writing in to be clear about it so the reader doesn't get lost.

I'm working on chapter 8 of mine right now! <3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I shouldn't have checked my work email at home. I wanted to write some more today, but now that I have read what someone completely unrelated to the project I'm currently working on had to say (read that as "was bisqueing about")... I just feel annoyed / depressed. Really. I'm working my asparagus off here and other people who officially don't even care about my work (or whether I exist) think they can tell me how to do things better? Argh.

Sorry about the rant.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

Awww...phoenix, I'm sorry. Work can really suck sometimes and make everything else a downer.

I haven't felt like writing either the past day or two and I certainly don't feel like it tonight, but I'll tap out my minimum 1667 words and stop there. That's my plan and all I'll ask of myself when feeling uninspired this month. I wrote last night right before bed in an exhausted state after a long day at work and re-read what I wrote this morning and while I wouldn't call it "good" (nothing I've written yet for this is "good"--it's much too early in the process for that) but I wrote it with only one-one-millionth of my brain invested last night and it's not a total write off and there's probably some usable stuff in there. So even the most bleh state is worth pushing forward on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next