| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: NaNoWriMo
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:28 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Take it apart and letmthe pieces dry properly. You havecnothing to lose! There are lots of YouTube showing you how to dismantle and reassemble.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:16 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

lavawitch wrote:
Take it apart and letmthe pieces dry properly. You havecnothing to lose! There are lots of YouTube showing you how to dismantle and reassemble.

I did everything I could think of, then took it to the macstore, where they declared it dead. It's dead. It was wet all over, it short circuited. If I decided to get it fixed, it would be 600 or 700 euros and then I'd still have a shitty battery and a broken dvd-drive. I bought a new one, thus depleting my savings. The hard disk of the old one was saved though a little damaged, but I got most of the important stuff off of it. ... but not Nanowrimo. I had to rewrite it today. I managed about 1300 words, which means I'm not just behind, I'm way behind... but I'm not ready to give up. I like my story. I think it might be good. And today was rough, so who knows.

I have a question: do you make your characters vegan? I have so much trouble imagining my main character being an omni. Is that just me?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:24 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I'm writing longhand first, then typing it up. That's the way I roll.

This year I'm doing more of a memoir then a novel. I've done the novel thing before, and it's not quite what I need this year.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:26 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Dr. Horrible wrote:
I have a question: do you make your characters vegan? I have so much trouble imagining my main character being an omni. Is that just me?

Huh. I think characters in my fiction mostly just don't eat food. That's... probably not great.

When I actually completed NaNo a number of years ago, I was maybe 20,000 words away from done a week before the deadline and I never thought I'd make it... buuuuuut sometimes miracles (?!) do happen.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Dr. Horrible wrote:

I'm writing about robots! At least I would be if I didn't get writer's block the second I started. This isn't good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:59 pm 
Saggy Butt

I tried an failed last year and decided to try again this year. But I'm super busy with school so I doubt I'll finish.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:28 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Dr. Horrible wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

I did everything I could think of, then took it to the macstore, where they declared it dead. It's dead. It was wet all over, it short circuited. If I decided to get it fixed, it would be 600 or 700 euros and then I'd still have a shitty battery and a broken dvd-drive. I bought a new one, thus depleting my savings. The hard disk of the old one was saved though a little damaged, but I got most of the important stuff off of it. ... but not Nanowrimo. I had to rewrite it today. I managed about 1300 words, which means I'm not just behind, I'm way behind... but I'm not ready to give up. I like my story. I think it might be good. And today was rough, so who knows.

Aaahhh, no, not computer death! I'm so sorry.

My protagonist is, in fact, vegan, and it's a plot-point. I've written a couple short stories and/or plans for larger things in which veganism is an aspect of the plot (because I don't generally make mention of WHAT my characters eat unless it's relevant--IE they might order Chinese takeout or meet for lunch or coffee, but I don't go into what exactly they're eating unless it's significant, so when my characters are vegan, there is a purpose to it).

Also, I abuse parentheticals.

I'm behind in my word count right now, but tonight and tomorrow night I'm writing a paper for my literary theory class (the absurdist Marxism of The Principia Discordia!) so I'm giving myself a pass. I'll catch up later in the week.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:37 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh Dr. Horrible, I'm sorry about your computer. That sucks so bad.

I'm tempted to make a sidekick sort of character vegan, but then my main character doesn't much like her for most of the story, and I'm not sure that's beneficial to people's view of veganism... But whenever I imagine her, she's vegan!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:22 am 
protein lump

i did it a few years ago and i got something like 40 single-spaced pages written. i forget what the final word count was. i know it wasn't 50,000 or even close, probably, but i was proud of myself for having written anything at all.

i'm playing again this year and so far, i'm on track. i don't know if i'll make it to 50,000 or not, but i like that i can just sit down and write and i'm not worried about whether it's actually good or not. it's nice to just sit and get words out.

i have no idea what i'm writing about yet. i'm just developing some characters and i'll see what the want to do/who they want to be.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:18 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I couldn't start Monday, because I was unpacking a house. I'm like 1200-some words in, though. I'm trying to tell myself that being behind is not an excuse to give up.

My story's pretty lame/weird, but I'm cool with that. It's set in a world that has more or less the same pop culture as the real world, but poverty has been outlawed and criminals can be pilloried or put in stocks in the town square. My protagonist, an omni aspiring thief, was caught stealing Cadbury eggs and sentenced to the pillory. It's not officially a death sentence, but it's pretty much guaranteed that she'll be stoned to death by the neighborhood kids unless she finds some way to appease them...

So, yeah. This is apparently what my brain cooks up under pressure, when my don't-do-that-it's-stupid-meter is broken.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:11 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Dr. Horrible wrote:

I covertly made characters vegan, often by omission. In Matthew Meets the Man, my middle grade novel that comes out in January of '12, a group goes to a Thai restaurant, and the narrator describes his food without mention of any meat. Later, he raids a fridge at a friend's house and eats some of the friend's sister's veggie bacon and hummus. In cafeteria scenes at school, the food is described as goo and chunks etc. And in Punk Rock Etiquette, in the section about food on the road, I covertly never mention any meat. SUCKERS! And in the next project I'm working on, a sci-fi series, they eat cloned meat grown in large vats. I don't know if I'll always go out of my way, though.

OH! And if anyone is having trouble getting started, BEHOLD!!! The Teen Book Generator:

http://ilikeapplejuice.com/teen-book-generator

www.monsterdoodlebook.com - DRAW! MONSTERS!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:28 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm writing a half-novel with my boyfriend, we're both scrawling stuff down about a travelling magic realist fairground that's hopefully going to turn into a first draft by the end of the month. It may take less time, but it's going to need a hell of a lot more editing, haha.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:20 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Yeah...I'm not really sure mine's going to end up being a novel by any stretch of the imagination, and so I'm trying to decide if I want to just keep developing the fictional universe and characters as they're coming to me, or if I want to switch over to a non-fiction project I've been envisioning for a while which I feel like would be a more constructive use of my time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:44 pm 
Tofu Pup

This is my fourth year doing NaNo, and I actually took the 1st and 2nd off work so I could get a good start. Didn't write as much as I'd hoped, but at least I'm a day or so ahead. I always feel better if I have a cushion.

I'm writing the sequel to the novel I wrote last year. It's a medieval style fantasy set in another world, but without magic. So it's barely fantasy, but I don't know what else I'd call it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:24 pm 

NanoWriMo says I'm three days behind schedule. 0_0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:48 am 
Tortilla Rita's character account

I am so glad I got ahead of schedule earlier in the week, because I worked 11 hours yesterday and didn't have it in me to type a word.

My NaNo isn't much of anything yet. Each scene is about a different person and they are all loosely connected. I started off okay with it but am veering into "I hate this shiitake" territory.

But, as I've come to learn over the past seven years, this is natural. Onward!

blog | vegan blog | twitter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:05 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I've been doing NanoWriMo since 2006 and haven't finished an novel yet. This year isn't looking so great, either. I'm already about 2,000 words behind and it's only the 6th day!

Good luck to everyone participating.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:21 pm 

*pulling this thread all the way up from page 6*

How's everyone doing? We're supposed to be at 20 000 tonight... I'm stuck around 18 000. I know where I want to go but I need to fill at least 10 000 more words before I can start going there so I just threw in a new character and hoped she'd take up some space but I'm writing utter crepe the last few days, when I'm writing at all... meh. Someone motivate me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:30 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I'm down at 18,000 but I'm gonna work through it. Meeting up with some friends at the pub to write tomorrow, yay!

My opinion of my novel fluctuates wildly between hating it and actually thinking it's okay. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's awful. Gah.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:05 pm 

I might just give up. I've had *a lot* of computer issues that have prevented me from writing (because I was stupid enough to save my latest draft on google .docs, so I can't access it w/out Internet, and it's always out, and then my keyboard decided to stop working for awhile), so I'm maybe 4,000 words in. I feel like the stars have been stacked against me. But I should have some other projects done by the 15th, so maybe I can aim to get 25,000 done?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:09 pm 

I'm writing! Woo! I mean, yeah, I'm PPK'ing right now actually, but I'm writing too! I really want to make it to 20 000 before I go to sleep, but on the other hand I also know that I'm going to spend 6 hours on a train the coming weekend so I can probably catch up easily then, too...

KarynMC wrote:
I might just give up. I've had *a lot* of computer issues that have prevented me from writing (because I was stupid enough to save my latest draft on google .docs, so I can't access it w/out Internet, and it's always out, and then my keyboard decided to stop working for awhile), so I'm maybe 4,000 words in. I feel like the stars have been stacked against me. But I should have some other projects done by the 15th, so maybe I can aim to get 25,000 done?

Don't give up yet! We're not even half way in, you've got plenty of time to catch up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

I only just broke 10000 last night. But my word count graph thingy is starting to take on the exponential curve shape that usually develops. :P The eleventh is always when I seem to catch my stride and just start writing.

Hopefully I'll be at 20000 by Monday.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:53 am 

Me again!

Just wondering how everyone is doing. I'm at about 41 000 and counting today we have four days left. The Word Count Validator is already online! I've never come this far before. My story is a bit crepe, very little has happened the last 10 000 words but I still like the idea and I want to finish it. Mainly because the ending is probably the only good part of the book and I've been trying to work my way towards it for weeks.

Is anyone else still doing it? My sister quit and she was my only "buddy"...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I gave up pretty early and did stuff for uni and MoFo instead.
Too much work and too little sleep really kills creativity. :(

But in summer, when there's really very little work to do at the office, I'm so going to take a month or so off and just write and write. And the best thing will be that if I can't go on writing the creative stuff, I can always switch to the academic stuff, and vice versa.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:32 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

This year I was one of those ridiculous ones who finished Nano in under two weeks.

The bad news is that it completely sapped my creativity after I crossed 50 500 and killed my brain. Lesson learned: while 4 - 10K a day is feasible, it also takes brain cells with it. I also wrote most of from 20K onward by "cool bit" and now have a frillion scenes with no connecting material.

*experimental poke*

Oh, well. On to the epic time-travel saga that's been percolating in my brainmeats the past week!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next