| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: If you could spend one night of passion with anyone...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:13 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

If you read through all pages you will find that is not true. But indeed the scales are more heavy on the caucasian side by a lot. I think that has a lot more to do who is famous in western society. The percentages are definitely more with the white.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:19 am 
Huffs Nooch

I did see nine visible minorities within the first 15 pages (which is as many pages as I could keep my focus for). But one of the nine was the Chinese guy with the world's biggest man boobs and I suspect that suggestion may not have been entirely serious.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:33 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

It's because we're all racist.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:44 am 
Has gasoline in her veins

broseph wrote:
I noticed that everyone listed here is Caucasian. Thoughts?

pffft no way! The first page has Jimi Hendrix and Benicio Del Toro!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:26 am 
Not NOT A Furry

thisheregiraffe wrote:
Benicio Del Toro!

But isn't he Spanish and therefore caucasian?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:31 am 
Not NOT A Furry

broseph wrote:
I noticed that everyone listed here is Caucasian. Thoughts?

It may just represent the fact that the folks on the ppk or specifically those who feel inclined to post in this thread are mostly caucasian?
I don't think it is uncommon to feel attracted to people that are similar to oneself in one way or the other. One way being the outer appearance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:54 am 
Inflexitarian

Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. <--Not even kidding.

For some multi-culti loving, Lenny Kravitz. Just saw The Hunger Games and remembered how swoon-worthy he is.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:23 am 
Huffs Nooch

Mars wrote:
If you read through all pages you will find that is not true. But indeed the scales are more heavy on the caucasian side by a lot. I think that has a lot more to do who is famous in western society. The percentages are definitely more with the white.

I agree that western mass media is far from successful in representing diversity in most areas. But there are a lot of musicians listed here, and I suspect that the percentage of musical celebrities that are visible minorities is at least greater than the percentage represented on television and film. So I was surprised to only see Jimmy Hendrix, Lenny Kravitz, Erykah Badu, Lil Wayne, and Queen Latifah from that realm. I may have missed a bunch, to be fair. I only caught Lil Wayne this morning.

Lily wrote:
It may just represent the fact that the folks on the ppk or specifically those who feel inclined to post in this thread are mostly caucasian?
I don't think it is uncommon to feel attracted to people that are similar to oneself in one way or the other. One way being the outer appearance.

This makes some sense to me. I know nothing about the demographics of this forum nor this particular thread. And the notion of a lot of people being attracted to like people has merit. Though if it was entirely true, I'd be attracted to hideous gargoyles.

solipsistnation wrote:
It's because we're all racist.

I know that was sarcasm. And I know you're not all racist. Honestly, I was just very surprised to be faced with page after page of white celebrities staring at me. Imagine being an Asian and seeing only two people of either half-Asian or Asian descent here. And keep in mind that the one Asian person, Guo Qingpo, was only suggested as a joke.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Lily wrote:

Another the inner geek. No, still not telling. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:26 pm 

broseph wrote:
Honestly, I was just very surprised to be faced with page after page of white celebrities staring at me. Imagine being an Asian and seeing only two people of either half-Asian or Asian descent here. And keep in mind that the one Asian person, Guo Qingpo, was only suggested as a joke.

In real life I find myself the majority of the time fantasizing about the various Asian men I meet, but honestly I can't think of one (western) famous Asian man that I find attractive. It's a bit odd.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:33 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I am inclined to think that Western media's failure to portray people of color as attractive adult human beings (as opposed to just portraying stereotypes and/or exoticized sex objects) is a major factor in the pattern we're observing here, of predominantly white faces showing up in this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:02 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

choirqueer wrote:
I am inclined to think that Western media's failure to portray people of color as attractive adult human beings (as opposed to just portraying stereotypes and/or exoticized sex objects) is a major factor in the pattern we're observing here, of predominantly white faces showing up in this thread.

I've noticed, watching BBC programs, that they're MUCH more likely to have interracial relationships and to portray same-sex relationships as not a big deal and as just kinda what's going on instead of some kind of plot point.

Anyway, as a result of the last few posts here, when I was actually thinking of non-caucasian people I'd like to boink, I pretty much came up with Padme Lakshmi (who went to school near where I was going to college at about the same time-- we could have met!) and uh. Really not anyone else. Part of it is that I find pale skin attractive-- I don't even really like tans. But I have been variously involved with a couple of Asian women (a Korean girl in college, and I got all crushed-out over a Chinese-American co-worker and a Malaysian co-worker at one job) overall I am more attracted in general to white ladies, and the pastier the better. This doesn't mean I have never and will never find black ladies attractive, because that's not true, but a majority of women I find attractive are white.

I do not, however, think I should have to apologize or feel guilty for who I do and do not find attractive, so I sincerely hope that is not implied.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:42 pm 
Inflexitarian

I don't think you need to apologize, but I think what people are suggesting is that who we do and do not find attractive is partly (or even largely, mostly) culturally constructed. I'm sure that who and what I find attractive is strongly related to how I was raised, what I see on TV, what I read in magazines, etc. And, you know, threads and polls and surveys like this one, in which people list pages and pages of people they find attractive and very few of them are, for example, Asian. The point isn't that anyone is actively racist, but that our desires are largely shaped by society (and maybe that when we express those desires we continue to perpetuate certain standards of beauty that aren't particularly inclusive).

My two cents (hopefully not offensive!). :o)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:38 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Mars wrote:
broseph wrote:
Honestly, I was just very surprised to be faced with page after page of white celebrities staring at me. Imagine being an Asian and seeing only two people of either half-Asian or Asian descent here. And keep in mind that the one Asian person, Guo Qingpo, was only suggested as a joke.

In real life I find myself the majority of the time fantasizing about the various Asian men I meet, but honestly I can't think of one (western) famous Asian man that I find attractive. It's a bit odd.

Me too. I find lots of Asian men attractive (Korean Actor Yu Ji Tae, yum.) but it seems that in Western entertainment culture, the only Asian men who become famous are geeky, not particularly physically attractive types. Perhaps I'm wrong? But it seems that they are mostly cast as nerds or martial arts masters. There are no "hunky" Asian male actors in Hollywood.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

paprikapapaya wrote:
I find lots of Asian men attractive

Me too! I know he is "cast" as a martial arts master, but he *is* a martial arts master...hello, Jet Li. He might not be portrayed as particularly attractive, but he is to me.

and Harry Shum Jr

Oh, and Native American Chaske Spencer (Sam from the Twilight movies) also extremely attractive.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My pictures keep disappearing :( I might just have to save them to my hard drive so I can see them anytime I want.

And Tim Kang

Trying a different picture of Jet Li

And Chaske Spencer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:06 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Oh yeah, thinking about it.

So one thing about liking people of different races is that it's easy for it to turn into a fetish. "I like Asian women" sounds kind of weird coming from a white guy-- there are connotations of liking the stereotypical submissive Asian woman over willful white women. And "I like black men" has instant "Jungle Fever" connotations coming from a white woman. It's not necessarily TRUE, but there's that subtext.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Anyway, in the interest of racial harmony, I will be sure to check out some non-white chicks downtown today.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:21 pm 
Dead by dawn

paprikapapaya wrote:
There are no "hunky" Asian male actors in Hollywood.

I would argue in favor of Daniel Dae Kim.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:35 pm 

monkeytoes wrote:

Wet T-Shirt contest anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:09 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I find men of varying backgrounds to be hot, it just so happens that I am most lustful of 3 fine caucasian men (Jared Padalecki, Matt Bomer and Darren Criss). Also, it's easier to say "yes, him!" in reply to other people's posts than to save my own pics and upload them :D

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:10 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

monkeytoes wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
There are no "hunky" Asian male actors in Hollywood.

good heavens yes. all the way back to his appearance on star trek voyager.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:58 pm 
Huffs Nooch

quark wrote:
I don't think you need to apologize, but I think what people are suggesting is that who we do and do not find attractive is partly (or even largely, mostly) culturally constructed. I'm sure that who and what I find attractive is strongly related to how I was raised, what I see on TV, what I read in magazines, etc. And, you know, threads and polls and surveys like this one, in which people list pages and pages of people they find attractive and very few of them are, for example, Asian. The point isn't that anyone is actively racist, but that our desires are largely shaped by society (and maybe that when we express those desires we continue to perpetuate certain standards of beauty that aren't particularly inclusive).

Quark, I completely agree with everything you just said. I think it is what I was trying to get at except that I didn't have the intelligence or eloquence you have to make sense of my thoughts and explain them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:18 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Soooo, what you're saying is that we shouldn't express desires if they perpetuate "certain standards of beauty that aren't particularly inclusive?"

Or are you just pointing out that this happens?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:38 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm just going to bring the thread back to who I'd like to spend a night of passion with for a sec.

Morrissey, duh.

And Richard Ayoade.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next