| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 167  Next
 Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:25 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

lavawitch wrote:
Borders is closing the rest of its stores so now the quickest-to-get-to bookstore will be RICHMOND, a 90 minute one way trip.

To illustrate how ludicrous this is, I am in a really busy, packed suburb of Northern VA. We had lots of Borders and very few Barnes and Noble. Now all we will have are those Barnes and Noble. I currently have two Borders, one of which is about a 35 minute drive.

I'm sad. Not as sad as the employees, probably, but I used to go there and get coffee and a book/magazine whatever almost every week before I stopped leaving the house.

RIP, Borders.

But hey, maybe this will be the impetus for people to open independent bookstores, instead!
Or go to the library!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:48 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Independent bookstores would be lovely. They all closed up years ago. There sure would be room for one around here now.

Nora Roberts' family owns a bookstore in her hometown that is amazing. Great book selection, great service, and lots of signings throughout the year with all sorts of mystery and romance authors.

I used to love going to the mystery bookshops around DC too.

The Internet killed the used book store. Even the fabulous huge ones closed over the last years because their stock sucked: people sold anything decent on half.com or amazon so there were few treasures to unearrth.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:49 am 
ol' garly cooch

I had to drink shitty Folger's coffee at work because I didn't have time to drink my regular nummers coffee at home.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:59 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

lavawitch wrote:
Independent bookstores would be lovely. They all closed up years ago. There sure would be room for one around here now.

Nora Roberts' family owns a bookstore in her hometown that is amazing. Great book selection, great service, and lots of signings throughout the year with all sorts of mystery and romance authors.

I used to love going to the mystery bookshops around DC too.

The Internet killed the used book store. Even the fabulous huge ones closed over the last years because their stock sucked: people sold anything decent on half.com or amazon so there were few treasures to unearrth.

There's a thriving used bookstore chain in the Midwest called Half-Price Books! One of the few things I miss about the Midwest.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:01 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

My computer died and the customer service person PROMISED me they were going to mail me a box and I would put my computer in the box and they would fix my computer and put it back in the box and mail it back to me.

Except, it's been a month, and they haven't even managed step ONE. Where is my forking box?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:33 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

choirqueer wrote:
Where is my forking box?

That's what ze said!

We currently have three laptops, and none of them work correctly. I just want a freaking working laptop so I don't have to go into the office and sit upright to use the computer!

Also, I can't decide between an e-reader, iPad, or other tablet. If I got an iPad, I wouldn't have to like, learn new technology and stuff, but it isn't Flash capable without jailbreaking. Kindle isn't in color, and nook doesn't have as many books. I can get Kindle and nook apps with other tablets, but nook makes you use their tablet for magazines.

(I'm so embarrassed that this is even taking up brain space I could be using to organize a bakesale or volunteer to actual contribute something to society.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:38 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Nook reads all sorts of formats. If you buy from somewhere else, you can remove drm using Calibre and load it up.

I love my iPad. Magazines and PDFs are so easy to read. If you want mostly regular text stuff, a Kindle or Nook would be better.

Jail breaking is nonbig deal, but I don't really need flash so I haven't bothered to jail break in a while. Battery life is better when it's not jail broken, though not significantly so.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:39 am 
Married to the wolfman

This morning I wanted to stay in my nice warm bed and snuggle with my healthy, well-nourished child, but instead I had to get up and go to my job where I'm paid a fair wage and get government mandated lunch breaks and stuff. Dammit.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:46 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

designedtobekind wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
Where is my forking box?

That's what ze said!

Thank you, I needed to laugh that hard just now <3

Quote:
(I'm so embarrassed that this is even taking up brain space I could be using to organize a bakesale or volunteer to actual contribute something to society.)

I'm in the same thought process about an iPod Touch right now. I feel dirty even thinking about it, seriously. My reasons for wanting it are actually relatively legitimate, I guess; I want to be able to navigate more efficiently and I want to be able to listen to music while I exercise, which are both things that will help me be able to contribute more actively to society...but I still feel icky about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:29 am 
Huffs Nooch

I love this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:40 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

veganphilosopher wrote:
I love this thread.

Is that your First World Problem? ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:41 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I got up at 5 to do a training ride, and I was super careful to get everything all laid out and ready to go last night. However, when I go to put on all my supersexy spandex, I find that one of the cats has taken one of my legwarmers! I didn't find it for an hour, so I only got to ride 20 miles this morning instead of 28.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:50 am 
Naked Under Apron

lavawitch wrote:
Borders is closing the rest of its stores

I just came in to complain about this! I am so sad. There are no other bookstores in my town, and I go to Borders all the time. I just really love browsing books in person! And magazines. And getting a coffee.

There's a B&N 35 minutes away, but that's not really the same. Also I'm spoiled by the endless Borders coupons that mean I never buy a book that isn't 30-50% off.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:03 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

We have one Borders left nearby that is an anchor store at one of the malls. I'm sad to hear it will close because I will not give a penny to Barnes and Noble because they refused to comply with federal law when my credit card information was used with their online store.

We do have Half-Price Books around here and they are great. I've even managed to get some great deals on vegan cookbooks there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:28 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

My orchid plant blooms too often (there is never a time it doesn't have blooms), so I never get a chance to cut the main stalk down, and it just keeps getting longer and longer, and I have to support it with a million sticks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:34 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I need a new battery for my laptop, and it's going to take three days for it to ship and be delivered. Dammit!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:55 am 
Married to the wolfman

I wanted to download a book mentioned in the what are you reading thread to read on my phone during my lunch break, but it's not available as an ebook. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

choirqueer wrote:
My computer died and the customer service person PROMISED me they were going to mail me a box and I would put my computer in the box and they would fix my computer and put it back in the box and mail it back to me.

Except, it's been a month, and they haven't even managed step ONE. Where is my forking box?

Call them again?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:01 pm 
Dead by dawn

I have a closet full of clothes but nothing to wear. I've lost so much weight in the last few months that none of my clothes fit. I don't want to spend money on a whole new wardrobe just to lose another size and not be able to wear those clothes either!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:09 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

monkeytoes wrote:
I have a closet full of clothes but nothing to wear. I've lost so much weight in the last few months that none of my clothes fit. I don't want to spend money on a whole new wardrobe just to lose another size and not be able to wear those clothes either!

Congrats! I'd suggest picking out a few favorite pieces and taking them to a tailor, or go somewhere like Old Navy and get a few disposable pieces.

You can buy things like flowy draw string skirts and semi-fitted tees or cam is and cardigans. Buy them a teensy bit small and they will still work after you lost another 10-15 lbs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:23 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

monkeytoes wrote:
I just got all excited about the prospect of triple First World citizenship, only to discover that I have to settle for stupid old dual First World citizenship after all.

1st problem: I feel guilty posting in this thread.
2nd: I spilled soup on my macbook and now half the keyboard doesn't work so I have to use my boyfriend's better mac and his is annoying/has a weird keyboard.
3rd: I fell through a trampoline and I can't chop garlic.
4th: The cat is being mean to me.
5th: The light bulb in my office burned out and I can't change it because it hurts my arms too much. I also can't put on deodorant without pain.
6th: I feel like such a dick for whining about this stuff.
7th: I misled monkeyfeet into thinking she can haz British citizenship.

Okay. I feel better.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:38 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My computer has been nonfunctioning for two months now so I can only use my phone for internet at home. Watching TV shows on my phone kind of sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:44 pm 
Semen Strong

For some reason, people think they can just say anything to you if you're pregnant. I'm getting so tired of people assuming I'm further along than I am or that I am having multiples. A friend called the other day and said "So I guess you had the baby?" He saw me in June - when I was only 22 weeks. And then in the store today, two ladies at the grocery asked when I was due, and when I said November, did a whole disbelief routine - Oh wow I would have thought next month, I guess he's going to be a big one, Oh I know are you having twins?

Seriously, if you want to ask my due date and I tell you, the right response is Oh wow, congratulations!

I'm 4'11. I'm going to get bigger because there is nowhere else for this baby to go but out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:45 pm 
Dead by dawn

lavawitch wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Congrats! I'd suggest picking out a few favorite pieces and taking them to a tailor, or go somewhere like Old Navy and get a few disposable pieces.

You can buy things like flowy draw string skirts and semi-fitted tees or cam is and cardigans. Buy them a teensy bit small and they will still work after you lost another 10-15 lbs.

I should definitely see if a couple of my summer bottoms can be tailored. I have a pair of black cuffed walking shorts that I love; they're sort of comically large now, so they might be past tailoring but it's worth a try.

vijita wrote:
7th: I misled monkeyfeet into thinking she can haz British citizenship.

No, you didn't! You were responding to JoPa, who'd already specifically said her dad was born in Scotland. I just forgot the cardinal rule: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:49 pm 
Chip Strong

I recently ordered a new phone and apparently accidentally deleted the confirmation email. I can't track my order now. The guy on the phone couldn't help me and he forwarded me to some other place where they were experiencing "longer than usual wait times" - he is history's greatest monster.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 167  Next